Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is it that I see people drifting these cars when PSM can't be switched off?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 01:30 PM
higlesias
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How is it that I see people drifting these cars when PSM can't be switched off?

Please forgive me, I'm a total newb to the brand.
I just got a 987.2 CS. I'm driving my favorite mountain road and try to get a little sideways on a few bits that I typically enjoy in my M-car. I have the PSM off, but the car still intervenes.

Question, how can I turn this damn thing off?
I am not asking people to lecture me on why they think it's a good thing to have it on or any of that stuff. I just want to know if and how I can turn it off.
Do I need to make a special switch to something to disable it? Is there a write up? Do I have to jump up and down 3 times and snap my heels or some ****? Must I summon Ferdinand from the grave and make a special request? Please tell me, lol.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:23 PM
Opus1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by higlesias
Please forgive me, I'm a total newb to the brand.
I just got a 987.2 CS. I'm driving my favorite mountain road and try to get a little sideways on a few bits that I typically enjoy in my M-car. I have the PSM off, but the car still intervenes.

Question, how can I turn this damn thing off?
I am not asking people to lecture me on why they think it's a good thing to have it on or any of that stuff. I just want to know if and how I can turn it off.
Do I need to make a special switch to something to disable it? Is there a write up? Do I have to jump up and down 3 times and snap my heels or some ****? Must I summon Ferdinand from the grave and make a special request? Please tell me, lol.
What makes you feel that the PSM is still at work ? I had a 911 C4 that would talk to me when the rear was about to let go. Have a Cayman now and it won't give the slightest hint until it goes ! And then it just laughs !
With the nanny off , it is easier to snap the back end. Try an auto X , safest place to learn what to expect from a mid engine platform.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:49 PM
higlesias
Advanced

Originally Posted by Opus1
What makes you feel that the PSM is still at work ? I had a 911 C4 that would talk to me when the rear was about to let go. Have a Cayman now and it won't give the slightest hint until it goes ! And then it just laughs !
With the nanny off , it is easier to snap the back end. Try an auto X , safest place to learn what to expect from a mid engine platform.
I can feel it cutting in when I start getting the wheels to spin, i look down and see the silly light blinking. when i expect the car to do what I want it to, it abruptly stops it. most annoying.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:08 PM
Opus1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe ?
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...sable-psm.html
Old 03-04-2019, 03:48 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I can state for a fact that the rear end can be kicked out when PSM is turned off. In my case I was getting on an on-ramp and there was some sand at the turn. The car kicked out very fast and unexpectedly but it was also very easy to correct.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:05 PM
higlesias
Advanced

I'm getting mine into some tight hairpins with plenty of runoff and it just continues to take away power or apply brakes on its own.
Again, this is my first Porsche and for such a drivers car standing, this is a real bummer. i sound like a crying child, but damn, i was not expecting that level of nannies in a car.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:25 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

The hardcore track guys I know wire a switch in to the yaw sensor (somewhere in the dash I think) to truly kill PSM
Old 03-04-2019, 04:34 PM
yachtfund
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

could be some confusion going on in the open diff. I find that when applying power coming out of really tight hairpins that it can feel like psm is cutting in but its actually the open diff that is just struggling to get any power down on one of the tires. Messes up almost all my slides. Planning on changing the stock unit out for a Guard or OS Giken.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:36 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

a 987.2 can get pretty loose with the PSM off, in the right conditions (at 1:32):
If i remember correctly, the PSM will re-activate under braking. There is a module in the front right fender that can be disconnected to eliminate this (as mentioned above)
Old 03-05-2019, 11:32 AM
higlesias
Advanced

Thanks for all the experienced feedback. Looks like i'll be wiring a kill switch in there.

Quick Reply: How is it that I see people drifting these cars when PSM can't be switched off?