Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather but not "winter" tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 03:22 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
Question Cold weather but not "winter" tires?

Hi all,
It's time for new tires. I live in Michigan and while I don't drive my '09 Cayman in the cruddy winter weather, I do drive it when the temperatures are cold. I read a lot of Summer tire manufacturers do not recommend (or at least won't warranty) summer tire use under 45 degrees. I'm not looking for a tire I can drive in snow or ice, but something that would be at least OK with cold temps and in wet weather. I don't typically drive my Cayman in rainy weather but it's Michigan so the weatherman is wrong about half the time.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a tire that doesn't have to necessarily be a true all season tire, but still can handle cold temperature driving? If there is even such a thing.

Thanks!
Casey
Old 03-03-2019, 03:30 PM
sghokie
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For my 981, the only all season I could find that was available in both sizes was the Atlas Force UHP. I really like these tires. They were cheap as S and work just as well as any other good tire I have had.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:41 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

I would try to identify exactly how low you want to be able to drive and how you plan to drive in those temps. Winter performance can mean 0 degrees F and you want to great traction in the twisties, versus 32F and you only plan to drive on nice sunny days cruising around.

EDIT: I would also read the Tire Rack reviews for tires. They have reviews on tire performance in winter. I specifically bought a set of all season tires that were tested in the Arctic circle after reading those reviews and tests.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:45 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I would try to identify exactly how low you want to be able to drive and how you plan to drive in those temps. Winter performance can mean 0 degrees F and you want to great traction in the twisties, versus 32F and you only plan to drive on nice sunny days cruising around.
Ok I would say that the my aim would be more towards 32 and sunny driving for what I would drive in the winter. No track stuff or twisties really. Just cruising and trying to fight off the Mustangs and Challengers trying to race me on my way to work. I don't drive it if I think there's even a chance of precipitation in those cold temps and there aren't that many sunny days in Michigan winter anyways. If it's too far below freezing then I just don't drive it at all, regardless of the conditions.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:36 PM
danschy
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My winter driving in the Chicago area seems similar to yours. I do not track my car nor drive it especially aggressively and have been satisfied with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's I put on 4 years ago.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:51 PM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts

I put the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06's on my Cayman a couple of years ago. Great tire for the cold. I don't worry how low the temp gets, but never drive it in the snow. (And we don't get as much snow here in Denver as most people think -- but that's supposed to be our secret! )
Old 03-03-2019, 04:56 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Another vote for Conti DWS06
Old 03-03-2019, 05:02 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I run the DWS06 on my non Porsche vehicles. Good value.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:18 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by danschy
have been satisfied with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's I put on 4 years ago.
Highly recommended as a cold weather (also light snow) performance tire. I believe the latest version is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:03 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SomnoBoost
Ok I would say that the my aim would be more towards 32 and sunny driving for what I would drive in the winter. No track stuff or twisties really. Just cruising and trying to fight off the Mustangs and Challengers trying to race me on my way to work. I don't drive it if I think there's even a chance of precipitation in those cold temps and there aren't that many sunny days in Michigan winter anyways. If it's too far below freezing then I just don't drive it at all, regardless of the conditions.
I think you would still be fine on the best summer tires, like Michelins. I had an M5 with summer only tires and at 32F, they still had decent traction. But if you want even better traction, AS3+ or DWSs are even better at lower temps, at the expense of hot summer traction.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:18 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

I had Piot Sport A/S on my 944S2 when I was in NY and then CO. They were great all around tires. Able to take most twisties without puckering, and able to get home from the train without worrying when it snowed a few inches.

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

I think you would still be fine on the best summer tires, like Michelins. I had an M5 with summer only tires and at 32F, they still had decent traction. But if you want even better traction, AS3+ or DWSs are even better at lower temps, at the expense of hot summer traction.

I read in the local PCA rag that Michelin (I think) says if you use the tires below something like 40 deg F and they crack you voided your warranty and have dangerous tires. That's a great way to toss $1,2000 of rubber down the toilet.
Edit - From Tire Rack
he Pilot Sport 4S excels in warm dry and wet conditions, so like all Max Performance Summer tires, is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.
Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S
Originally Posted by tomhartzell
I put the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06's on my Cayman a couple of years ago. Great tire for the cold. I don't worry how low the temp gets, but never drive it in the snow. (And we don't get as much snow here in Denver as most people think -- but that's supposed to be our secret! )
Except for today, and last night. Coldest March day in 50+ years.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:05 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Michelin best A/S3
Old 03-03-2019, 10:30 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I had Piot Sport A/S on my 944S2 when I was in NY and then CO. They were great all around tires. Able to take most twisties without puckering, and able to get home from the train without worrying when it snowed a few inches.

I read in the local PCA rag that Michelin (I think) says if you use the tires below something like 40 deg F and they crack you voided your warranty and have dangerous tires. That's a great way to toss $1,2000 of rubber down the toilet.
Edit - From Tire Rack
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Pilot+Sport+4S

Except for today, and last night. Coldest March day in 50+ years.
The standard Michelin warning is that they don’t recommend running them in temps below 45F. It makes sense they don’t recommend it. The warranty/cracking temp is 20F. To be honest, every year, these max performance tires are more and more like race compounds that get better and better traction. But the downside is they are more fragile in cold temps and lose traction in colder temps.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:27 AM
bvanlieu
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Big fan of not running summer tires < 40F.

For our 981 put 18" Goodyear HPAS tires on for the cold dry season, the Goodyear F1's rest in basement.

Sizing is a bit of an issue with HPAS tires and our cars: not a lot of of options.

- b
Old 03-04-2019, 07:56 AM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts

Winter tires aren't just for snow: they're for temperature. I had an extra set of winter wheels/tires for the winter and switched to summer tires for autocross/etc once it got warm.

Quick Reply: Cold weather but not "winter" tires?