Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 oil level confusion after change

Old 03-02-2019, 09:47 PM
audi49
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
Default 987 oil level confusion after change

I changed my oil & filter for the first time in my new to me '08 Boxster. The owners manual says the oil change quantity is 2.05 gallons. I added 8 quarts. The oil level indicator shows the lower segment filled... which suggests that another 0.84 quarts is needed to fill to the top mark... that would make the total ~8.8 quarts (and not 2.05 gallons or 8.2 quarts).
Is this normal? I plan to add a bit at a time to get it near the top.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:47 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

You don't want to fill to the top level, the middle line is what was recommended to me by my tech.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:11 AM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts

^^^ +1 Dealership recommends the same approach. They replaced one new 911 engine at owner's expense because owner took it to one of the quick fill places and they overfilled with oil. I just changed the oil and filter in my Cayman, and it's currently at the third (or fourth) bar out of five on the gauge. The vacillation between levels is normal on my car. Doesn't seem to burn any oil in 5K miles, but I monitor every time I shut the car down.

Last edited by tomhartzell; 03-03-2019 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Update
Old 03-03-2019, 11:53 AM
audi49
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

thanks for the feedback. i'll leave it where it is... about 1/3 of the way between the marks.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:12 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
You don't want to fill to the top level, the middle line is what was recommended to me by my tech.
Originally Posted by tomhartzell
^^^ +1 Dealership recommends the same approach. They replaced one new 911 engine at owner's expense because owner took it to one of the quick fill places and they overfilled with oil. I just changed the oil and filter in my Cayman, and it's currently at the third (or fourth) bar out of five on the gauge. The vacillation between levels is normal on my car. Doesn't seem to burn any oil in 5K miles, but I monitor every time I shut the car down.
Care to elaborate? Topping it off to the exact max amount bears the risk of over-filling, but that alone shouldn't mean running a half liter or so low is better.

Of course for daily driving around town it's negligible.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:57 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

If you decide to add oil, to move up a couple bars, only add about 200 ml per drive cycle, to nail the bar you want.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:56 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
Care to elaborate? Topping it off to the exact max amount bears the risk of over-filling, but that alone shouldn't mean running a half liter or so low is better.

Of course for daily driving around town it's negligible.
As it was explained to me, if you run the car at 1 bar below max you are fine for normal around town driving. If you drive in a spirited manner (prolonged higher RPM’s) the oil will expand and froth a bit which in combination will cause it to splash out and get captured by the AOS. This then gets reintroduced into the combustion area of the engine which results in it being burned off. On older cars its no issue but with the DFI engines the fuel injection doesn’t provide the same cleaning and you end up with buildup. Most of the track guys in the know run at the mid level point to minimize this issue.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:09 AM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

+1 Had also heard about the frothing. Dealership told me Porsches are designed to run all day long with oil levels at the lower bars. They had never seen a Porsche brought in for running low on oil, but have experienced a number of them being brought in after too oil much was added. (Mostly by people doing their own maintenance.)

Last edited by tomhartzell; 03-04-2019 at 06:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-04-2019, 01:03 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

As it was explained to me, if you run the car at 1 bar below max you are fine for normal around town driving. If you drive in a spirited manner (prolonged higher RPM’s) the oil will expand and froth a bit which in combination will cause it to splash out and get captured by the AOS. This then gets reintroduced into the combustion area of the engine which results in it being burned off. On older cars its no issue but with the DFI engines the fuel injection doesn’t provide the same cleaning and you end up with buildup. Most of the track guys in the know run at the mid level point to minimize this issue.
Alright, I buy that, thanks.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:54 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 221 Posts

This is on a 987.2, but when I filled my ‘10 CS to the top bar the car would consume oil down to one bar below full. If I just leave it at one bar below full it stays there a long time. This is street driving only.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:00 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by tomhartzell
+1 Had also heard about the frothing. Dealership told me Porsches are designed to run all day long with oil levels at the lower bars. They had never seen a Porsche brought in for running low on oil, but have experienced a number of them being brought in after too oil much was added. (Mostly by people doing their own maintenance.)
You would think that people who were energetic enough to do their own oil change, would not hesitate to drain the excess oil. The dealer I use always fills it to one bar below max as illustrated in the owner's manual.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:16 AM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts

Had a local tech saying they wanted to fabricate a new cap. They wanted to change it from oil to good luck. Especially on the 991 and 991.2 GT3’s.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:29 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the biggest issue is knowing how much to put in, if you don’t know that it’s too high you won’t bother draining it. That’s why having these cars oil changed by someone who isn’t aware of these details is what ultimately results in the coking insures in the intakes.

I have to wonder if this applies to other modern cars too like Audi’s and BMW’s which I’ve heard having the buildup issues frequently.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:52 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

I think the biggest issue is knowing how much to put in, if you don’t know that it’s too high you won’t bother draining it. That’s why having these cars oil changed by someone who isn’t aware of these details is what ultimately results in the coking insures in the intakes.

I have to wonder if this applies to other modern cars too like Audi’s and BMW’s which I’ve heard having the buildup issues frequently.

I remember the good ole days when I just crawled under the car, removed the drain plug and oil filter, and then just added four quarts of oil. Back then I was changing the oil every three months. I was able to complete the process in about ten minutes. No problems with overfilling or underfilling.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:25 AM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1
You would think that people who were energetic enough to do their own oil change, would not hesitate to drain the excess oil. The dealer I use always fills it to one bar below max as illustrated in the owner's manual.
My dealer uses the same approach. There is at least one video on YouTube -- probably more -- where someone shows how they change the oil in their Porsche, and ends up putting too much oil into it by using the full amount specified in the User Manual. The person in the video immediately knew he had to drain some of the excess, as he checked the level before he drove his car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 987 oil level confusion after change