Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modding a car under factory warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 07:03 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Modding a car under factory warranty?

I'm looking at purchasing a MY16 CS 6MT. It has another year of factory warranty and then I may get it CPO'd as well.

However, I would like to do some basic modifications, which seem popular here. For example, short shift kit, IPD plenum, COBB or Softronic Tune, 3rd oil cooler, etc...

Is it advisable to do this before the factory warranty runs out? I suspect that any manufacturer would look for any reason not to honor a warranty claim no matter what it is.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:12 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

What my service advisors have told me (many times) is that if you go in with an issue, Porsche will look at the work you've done on the car. If they can directly link something you have done to the issue/problem, you could be in trouble. A lot of it is making sure you have a good relationship with your dealer service department.

I'm on my second CPO'd vehicle and even though I've always done all the maintenance work myself, I regularly stop in and get face time with the service department and service advisors and manager. I also will pay an hours worth of labor every 12/18 months for them to go over the car and get THEIR hands on it, so it at least feels they have some say in the health of the vehicle. This is stuff like simply putting it on a lift for a visual inspection + fluid checks + plugging it in and looking for any issues the computer might be reporting. Usually $150 roughly out of my pocket.

My wife just bought a Boxster S from a non-Porsche dealer and while it's not a CPO...I plan to do the same thing with it when summer gets closer so they they can get to know her car. Face time at the service department has always been time well spent for me.

Oh...Another example is I installed the x73 suspension on my 981 Base C myself, but after I did that, I took it into my dealer for a full inspection and alignment. So now they knew all about my mod/work, it was documented and they gave the change their blessing, so to speak.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:59 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Hey guys, being that we are a Performance Modification company, we at Fabspeed Motorsport are faced with this issue/question frequently. It is a benefit having a good relationship with your dealer. As GT4John said, getting some face time at your dealership, and or running by to discuss your modification plan, will only help. That being said we sell our systems to dealerships all over the world for installs on brand new vehicles.

While many dealers will try and make it sound that if you modify your car, your warranty will be voided. You are protected as a consumer from having your warranty voided by dealers/manufacturers by something called the Magnuson- Moss Act:

27. What is the Magnuson-Moss Act and how do aftermarket parts affect my warranty?

In 1975, the United States government passed a law called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which states that any modifications that do not, or cannot, cause damage to the car will not void the factory warranty. The Magnuson Moss act was created to protect USA consumers and give them a right and power so that manufacturers cannot deny warranty coverage. The only way warranty coverage can be denied is when a part or procedure specifically caused a failure or warranty claim. For example, if you installed a high performance exhaust system on your Ferrari or a set of custom wheels and your radio stopped working, then Ferrari can not void warranty coverage of the radio because of the modifications you made. Conversely, if you installed a supercharger or a nitrous oxide system on your Ferrari and you destroy a critical engine component, then logically Ferrari could and would void the engine warranty, but the other parts of the vehicle would still be fully covered by the original warranty.
Fabspeed Motorsports exhaust systems are designed as high performance replacement systems for the OEM exhaust system. which pose no threat to any other systems or functions on the vehicle.
If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emissions/warranty claims, contact the EPA at (202) 260-2080 or visit www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or visit www.ftc.gov.
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act Information Link: https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011...ermarket-parts

To sum that up, if you decide to go about modifying your Porsche, and god forbid something were to happen to your car, the manufacturers would need to prove that the modifications that you performed were the cause of that issue. In the near 30 years of Fabspeed Motorsport's existence, we have NEVER had a warranty voided because of a bolt on modification. Feel free to call me directly if you have any questions!

Old 03-05-2019, 08:39 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
...if you decide to go about modifying your Porsche, and god forbid something were to happen to your car, the manufacturers would need to prove that the modifications that you performed were the cause of that issue.
Great info and pretty accurate. But in reality, all they need to do is deny you coverage. And they do it often, some more than others. You can't force them to provide warranty repairs. But you can take them to court under the MMWA or the applicable state's lemon law.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:33 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
Hey guys, being that we are a Performance Modification company, we at Fabspeed Motorsport are faced with this issue/question frequently. It is a benefit having a good relationship with your dealer. As GT4John said, getting some face time at your dealership, and or running by to discuss your modification plan, will only help. That being said we sell our systems to dealerships all over the world for installs on brand new vehicles.

While many dealers will try and make it sound that if you modify your car, your warranty will be voided. You are protected as a consumer from having your warranty voided by dealers/manufacturers by something called the Magnuson- Moss Act:

27. What is the Magnuson-Moss Act and how do aftermarket parts affect my warranty?

In 1975, the United States government passed a law called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which states that any modifications that do not, or cannot, cause damage to the car will not void the factory warranty. The Magnuson Moss act was created to protect USA consumers and give them a right and power so that manufacturers cannot deny warranty coverage. The only way warranty coverage can be denied is when a part or procedure specifically caused a failure or warranty claim. For example, if you installed a high performance exhaust system on your Ferrari or a set of custom wheels and your radio stopped working, then Ferrari can not void warranty coverage of the radio because of the modifications you made. Conversely, if you installed a supercharger or a nitrous oxide system on your Ferrari and you destroy a critical engine component, then logically Ferrari could and would void the engine warranty, but the other parts of the vehicle would still be fully covered by the original warranty.
Fabspeed Motorsports exhaust systems are designed as high performance replacement systems for the OEM exhaust system. which pose no threat to any other systems or functions on the vehicle.
If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emissions/warranty claims, contact the EPA at (202) 260-2080 or visit www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or visit www.ftc.gov.
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act Information Link: https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011...ermarket-parts

To sum that up, if you decide to go about modifying your Porsche, and god forbid something were to happen to your car, the manufacturers would need to prove that the modifications that you performed were the cause of that issue. In the near 30 years of Fabspeed Motorsport's existence, we have NEVER had a warranty voided because of a bolt on modification. Feel free to call me directly if you have any questions!
All good in theory but good luck trying to prove anything. Does anyone really want to take them to court? Unfortunately I'm not the kind of customer who's got a standing order with my dealer to buy anything new so they probably don't give a crap about me.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:03 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by alexl911
All good in theory but good luck trying to prove anything. Does anyone really want to take them to court? Unfortunately I'm not the kind of customer who's got a standing order with my dealer to buy anything new so they probably don't give a crap about me.
As a four decade customer of Porsche I have found them to be reasonable with warranty claims, even on claims made after warranty expiration: Good Will claims. It's important to understand that it's Porsche and not the dealership that has the final say. Dealerships are happy to do the work, and if they had the final call, they would honor every warranty claim, regardless of mods. The best you'll get from a dealership is that they'll be a strong advocate for your warranty claim to Porsche. Hence, the importance of establishing a good relationship with a dealer.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:53 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Great info and pretty accurate. But in reality, all they need to do is deny you coverage. And they do it often, some more than others. You can't force them to provide warranty repairs. But you can take them to court under the MMWA or the applicable state's lemon law.
Yep. If you have a tune and the powertrain has an issue, you're very likely SOL. Even if you have legal grounds to stand on (may or may not, case specific), you can't afford to fight the mfg on it. MMWA basically just protects you where the mod is not reasonably related, e.g., if you have an aftermarket exhaust and the nav breaks or something.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:08 AM
bminingham
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I was told by the dealer that if for any reason they need to work on the ECU, your flash tune is at risk of being erased and causing issues
Old 03-07-2019, 03:28 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

A compromise would be doing less risky mods (e.g. the IPD plenum, short shifter), and leaving the tune till warranty is over. I'm not sure how conservative any of the tunes are but typically any engine/drivetrain warranty issue is bound to be more expensive.

Quick Reply: Modding a car under factory warranty?