Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche standard sport seats with manual adjustment question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 10:40 AM
skillz1318
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche standard sport seats with manual adjustment question

I know you need the power seat package to get lumbar support adjustment. My question is do the standard seats have adequate lumbar support without adjustment? I'm fine if I can't adjust the lumbar support, but I want to ensure they at least have some lumbar support.

Been looking for a used 987.2/981 Cayman across country and I don't have ability to take an extended 1-2 hr drive to see how comfortable they are; after a 10-15 minute drive they did feel ok.

Edit: To clarify I am referring to just the standard/stock seats with manual adjustment and power recline; I thought the standard seats were called sport seats.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:58 AM
Boxsterman
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Skillz,

I have an 09 987.2 Boxster base with those seats. I have had need to drive from Northern Nevada to southern California more than once. I have a bad lower back and found no issues with the seats, lumbar issues or otherwise.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:04 AM
skillz1318
Track Day

Awesome...thanks man. I'm ok with not having adjustment but I can't have zero lumbar support. Sounds like I should be fine...appreciate the response!
Old 03-01-2019, 12:34 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I'd echo that they have pretty good support. I typically use the lumbar filled up halfway on other cars, they almost seem concave without it, these don't feel that way. Never thought they needed more - I think you would notice quickly just based on feel.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:25 PM
skillz1318
Track Day

Originally Posted by daylorb
I'd echo that they have pretty good support. I typically use the lumbar filled up halfway on other cars, they almost seem concave without it, these don't feel that way. Never thought they needed more - I think you would notice quickly just based on feel.
Thanks! That was my worry; that the seats would feel concave/deflated without. I didn't notice it on my short test drive and it sounds like it's not an issue.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:08 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There is an option to add an inflatable lumbar to those seats, I have it on my GT4 with Sport 2-way seats. Works well. The center cushion can be lifted slightly to slip the air ladder behind it so install is like a few minutes.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:44 PM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts

Drive to Monterey in my Cayman was 600-700 miles per day last Sept to attend Rennsport. Manual seats were very comfortable, with the exception of one period where I drove 250+ miles without stopping for gas or food. (And it was literally a little pain in the butt; lumbar region was fine.)
Old 03-02-2019, 09:17 AM
skillz1318
Track Day

Originally Posted by Reborn996
There is an option to add an inflatable lumbar to those seats, I have it on my GT4 with Sport 2-way seats. Works well. The center cushion can be lifted slightly to slip the air ladder behind it so install is like a few minutes.
Thanks...good to know I have an option.

Originally Posted by tomhartzell
Drive to Monterey in my Cayman was 600-700 miles per day last Sept to attend Rennsport. Manual seats were very comfortable, with the exception of one period where I drove 250+ miles without stopping for gas or food. (And it was literally a little pain in the butt; lumbar region was fine.)
Excellent...thanks appreciate the feedback
Old 03-02-2019, 05:51 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

With all of 500 miles on my "new" car, I think the standard "Sport" seat is fine, not too sporty, but fine. Back in the day I ordered a 2000 Boxster, and thought that seat needed lumbar support. When I started speccing the car I found that if you wanted lumbar support on the driver's side, you had to order passenger side too. I was OK with $750 or so, but not $1,500, so I skipped it. Later on, on Porsche Pete's Boxster Board, I found out that the seat back just pulled off, and you could roll a towel to give you just the right amount of lumbar help. I think the right sized towel cost $3.75. Plus tax. Any fogies here remember ol' PPBB?

Quick Reply: Porsche standard sport seats with manual adjustment question