Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on buying a 981 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 06:52 AM
donR
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Yes, in addition to the LSD, the PTV brakes the rear inner wheel on cornering to cause a yaw moment and pivot the car around the corner. As a result you get increased rear brake pad wear but cornering is improved. If you buy non-genuine rear pads they do not cost much.

I think all 911s and 718 GTS now come standard with PTV and of course all GT cars including old GT4.

Here is some info:
https://www.excellence-mag.com/of-no...g#.XHkMiIgzaUk
https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/9...-ptv-ptv-plus/

Old 03-01-2019, 06:55 AM
GTSDreamer
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Test
Old 03-01-2019, 06:58 AM
GTSDreamer
Advanced

Test post
Old 03-01-2019, 09:06 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

No comment on price as I haven’t researched that.

981 Cayman GTS with the sport suspension is about as Goldie-Locks perfect as it gets, IMO. Basically same setup as 981 Spyder which I have and adore. I’ve driven a Cayman GTS so configured and actually liked it better than GT4.

It’s personal preference, but to me, I’d only have a Cayman with a manual transmission, though. If you prefer PDK, then it’s perfect for you.

I would have a 981 Cayman GTS all day long vs any 718 Cayman, even for same price. You can’t go wrong having one.

Rest of spec looks well nice too. If this is the spec you’ve been looking for m, go for it!
Old 03-01-2019, 06:05 PM
GTSDreamer
Advanced

Test
Old 03-01-2019, 08:37 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by oofie810
Is this from Elite Motors in Concord? If so, I saw the car and test drove it last weekend.

would you mind sharing your thoughts on the car - was there any glaring issues that one should look at.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:40 AM
oofie810
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim137a

would you mind sharing your thoughts on the car - was there any glaring issues that one should look at.
Hey Jim,

I think the car was nice on the outside, but I didn't really inspect the exterior as much. I was more interested in the interior and was somewhat disappointed. The alcantara wheel was matted down, the door handles were also matted down, but can probably be salvaged by some cleaning. The dashboard had some scratches and indentations, which can also probably be cleaned up. There were also scratches and light gouges on the aluminum part of the steering wheel, shifter and the door handle. Not sure where it would come from but there are several tiny scratches/gouges/nicks on there. The key fob paint was also faded a lot.

On the test drive, the car felt good as you would expect from a 4.5 year old car, but there was some squeaking/creaking on the suspension on bumps. You can hear this from the front as well as the rear, not sure if this is normal with the x73 but I would guess it's not.

I would say that it's a decent car but the interior shows the 39k miles on it more than it should.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:48 AM
oofie810
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSDreamer
How was the car? Did you find something wrong with it where you didn't want to buy it?
Sorry, I missed this. Shared my thoughts on the car one post up.

I didn't buy because I really want a manual but still checked it out thinking maybe I can be ok with the PDK. In the end, I wasn't really happy with the interior as I feel like it shows the 39k (yes, it's 39,xxx miles, not 38k as they have it advertised) miles on it.

I still think it's worth checking out for yourself if you're in the area since other GTS cars are going for $7-8k more.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:17 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

I didn't buy because I really want a manual but still checked it out thinking maybe I can be ok with the PDK. In the end, I wasn't really happy with the interior as I feel like it shows the 39k (yes, it's 39,xxx miles, not 38k as they have it advertised) miles on it.

I still think it's worth checking out for yourself if you're in the area since other GTS cars are going for $7-8k more.
thanks for the feed back. I was actually posting the questions for the OP as he was having issues with getting the Moderators to approve his subsequent posts - he now seems to be approved.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:55 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ToasterThief

I think I remember someone saying that about the braking as well, and that because of it, rear brake wear was very high on the track. Because the car drove so well, they recommended against it. Can anyone confirm that?
i have driven my buddies CGTS with PTV ( my car is not equipped with PTV ) and I personally think it’s not worth it due to the increased rear brake wear and he’s now under the same impression.

the handling is so good on these cars i feel its just an added maintenance issue I don’t want too deal with.

Without PTV I’ve managed some really good G Force readings on the OEM Good Years - i can’t wait to test my new Michelin PS4S when the weather changes.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:12 PM
GTSDreamer
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback. As Jim mentioned he actually asked the question for me since Wednesday I couldn't seem to get a post through. Now they're all showing up at once.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:58 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Assuming the car is in good shape $59K seems like a steal. I followed the market all through 2018 and most cars were high 60's low 70's. I had a very particular spec I was looking for. Found it early on but the seller ended up selling to someone who offer him $2K more than what we had agreed on.

Took me 8 months to find another. Private party 1 owner. 38K miles but the car presents as new. Paid high $60's for it. No warranty.

Last edited by badabing; 03-03-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:59 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

I was more interested in the interior and was somewhat disappointed. The alcantara wheel was matted down, the door handles were also matted down, but can probably be salvaged by some cleaning. The dashboard had some scratches and indentations, which can also probably be cleaned up. There were also scratches and light gouges on the aluminum part of the steering wheel, shifter and the door handle. Not sure where it would come from but there are several tiny scratches/gouges/nicks on there. The key fob paint was also faded a lot.

On the test drive, the car felt good as you would expect from a 4.5 year old car, but there was some squeaking/creaking on the suspension on bumps. You can hear this from the front as well as the rear, not sure if this is normal with the x73 but I would guess it's not.

I would say that it's a decent car but the interior shows the 39k miles on it more than it should.
This is a common misconception; the alcantara will appear "matted down" after a few months of driving. It cleans easily and will look and feel like new. It should be cleaned just as any other part of the car (e.g., every 2-3 weeks or so), but frequently it is not. There are some specialty chemicals out there (sonax is the one I use), but I've read that soapy water works just as well.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:18 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
This is a common misconception; the alcantara will appear "matted down" after a few months of driving. It cleans easily and will look and feel like new. It should be cleaned just as any other part of the car (e.g., every 2-3 weeks or so), but frequently it is not. There are some specialty chemicals out there (sonax is the one I use), but I've read that soapy water works just as well.
Yep...my GT4 is completely alcantara inside. It's my first experience with the material so I went to Griot's and asked what they recommended. The have an 'Interior Cleaner' which I have long used on all sorts of stuff...car related and not car related...and they told me to dilute that in half with water and use that for the alcantara. They were right...works amazing.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:29 AM
GTSDreamer
Advanced

Thank you for all of your input. This is a late update but I took her home Saturday. All I can say is wow... What a car. I've driven a '07 Cayman base before but this is on a whole other level. I love the way it looks inside and out too. Very happy

Quick Reply: Advice on buying a 981 GTS