Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987.2 Spyder + Softronic = Wow

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 09:43 PM
Jhoffmann
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 987.2 Spyder + Softronic = Wow

I picked up a 2011 Spyder in September last year, and have gradually been adding to the enjoyment this car brings. I Added EVOMS intake and FVD cat back exhaust for a little more sound. Then upgraded the original Good Year tires to a new set of Michelin Pilots 4S's, and most recently installed the Fabspeed Street Headers with a Softonic Tune. WOW - car feels completely different. Throttle response is now amazing, and pulls so much stronger all through the rev range. Feels like (butt dyne) it added 40+ horsepower to the car. While I have added the Softronic Tune to 2 of my cars with favorable results (987 Cayman S, 991 GTS) the difference it made in combination with the other mods in this 987.2 Spyder is by far the most impressive. I can not recommend this combination enough, as I feel it really transformed this vehicle. Can't wait to get some more good weather...
Old 02-26-2019, 08:49 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

IMO, that's the power the car should've came with...

I just can't stand Porsche sandbagging their own vehicles to keep 911 sales up.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:18 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhoffmann
I picked up a 2011 Spyder in September last year, and have gradually been adding to the enjoyment this car brings. I Added EVOMS intake and FVD cat back exhaust for a little more sound. Then upgraded the original Good Year tires to a new set of Michelin Pilots 4S's, and most recently installed the Fabspeed Street Headers with a Softonic Tune. WOW - car feels completely different. Throttle response is now amazing, and pulls so much stronger all through the rev range. Feels like (butt dyne) it added 40+ horsepower to the car. While I have added the Softronic Tune to 2 of my cars with favorable results (987 Cayman S, 991 GTS) the difference it made in combination with the other mods in this 987.2 Spyder is by far the most impressive. I can not recommend this combination enough, as I feel it really transformed this vehicle. Can't wait to get some more good weather...
Is your Spyder PDK or Manual?

I’ve heard the street cats make a big difference, something like 15-20 hp alone and reduced weight. I imagine tuning the engine for the cats has an even greater impact.

If I ever bite the bullet I’ll have to make an agreement with my shop to store my stock headers and swap them in before every smog.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:43 AM
ahetzel
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayman R

Interesting note. I have a Cayman R. Added the 200 CEL headers and just purchased FVD M&M valved exhaust this winter but not installed yet. I am interested in your tune but didn't know which one to go with or if it made much difference. Which FVD catback did you purchase? I have PSE and it isn't near loud enough. I am hoping the FVD catback does the trick.

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/BES9872C50...less-tips.html
Old 02-26-2019, 08:01 PM
Jhoffmann
Rennlist Member

Hi Afshin,

My Spyder is a manual. I had the headers/cats on for about a week before I did the tune. They definitely added power and some sound, but the tune seemed to be the magic element that pulled everything together and got the car to respond the way I thought it should. Very happy now.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:05 PM
Jhoffmann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ahetzel
Interesting note. I have a Cayman R. Added the 200 CEL headers and just purchased FVD M&M valved exhaust this winter but not installed yet. I am interested in your tune but didn't know which one to go with or if it made much difference. Which FVD catback did you purchase? I have PSE and it isn't near loud enough. I am hoping the FVD catback does the trick.

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/BES9872C50...less-tips.html
I went with the FVD Sport Mufflers
https://flat6motorsports.com/product...-boxster-987-2
Combined with the headers, the car finally sounds like a real sports car. It is not loud by my standards, but definitely has a deeper tone and sounds good the higher you go in the rev range. However, compared to my 991 with the GMG cup exhaust, it is quiet. That said, I'm happy with it and so is my wife...
Old 02-26-2019, 08:13 PM
ahetzel
Advanced

Thanks, were you able to do the softronics install yourself and can you switch back to stock?
Old 02-26-2019, 08:56 PM
brur
Advanced

I went with the FVD Sport Mufflers
https://flat6motorsports.com/product...-boxster-987-2
Combined with the headers, the car finally sounds like a real sports car. It is not loud by my standards, but definitely has a deeper tone and sounds good the higher you go in the rev range. However, compared to my 991 with the GMG cup exhaust, it is quiet. That said, I'm happy with it and so is my wife...
I can't tell if you have a stock cat, race cat or no cat.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:53 PM
Jhoffmann
Rennlist Member

I have the Fabspeed "Sport" Headers with 200 cell cats.

https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-987...sport-headers/

No CEL.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:50 PM
Charr328
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ahetzel
Thanks, were you able to do the softronics install yourself and can you switch back to stock?
The Softronic is DIY. When you purchase it they send you an OBDII cable which is 'keyed' to your VIN# (which means it will only work on your car), and the necessary software to upload/download ECU files. Using a Windows based laptop you connect the cable & computer to the car and you download the stock ECU map. You send a copy of this map file to Softronic and they created the new tuned map based on the stock one. They send you this 'tuned' map file and you then install it into the ECU. At any time you can return to factory by merely re-installing the original stock map.
I put the Softronic on my 987.1 S and it made a world of difference. Will do the same with my 2014 CS once the CPO expires.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:28 PM
Jhoffmann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charr328
The Softronic is DIY. When you purchase it they send you an OBDII cable which is 'keyed' to your VIN# (which means it will only work on your car), and the necessary software to upload/download ECU files. Using a Windows based laptop you connect the cable & computer to the car and you download the stock ECU map. You send a copy of this map file to Softronic and they created the new tuned map based on the stock one. They send you this 'tuned' map file and you then install it into the ECU. At any time you can return to factory by merely re-installing the original stock map.
I put the Softronic on my 987.1 S and it made a world of difference. Will do the same with my 2014 CS once the CPO expires.
Exactly - can switch back to stock if necessary. Also, I downloaded a free 14 day trial of "Parallel" to get the Softronic windows based program to work on my Mac. Worked like a charm.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:33 PM
ahetzel
Advanced

Guys, Thanks for the info on softronics. Sound like a must for this spring!
Old 03-01-2019, 12:43 AM
Charr328
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Exactly - can switch back to stock if necessary. Also, I downloaded a free 14 day trial of "Parallel" to get the Softronic windows based program to work on my Mac. Worked like a charm.
I also use a Mac, but with a Bootcamp partition and Windows 10. Not only works with Softronic but also Windows based diagnostics programs like Durametric and Rheingold BMW.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:14 AM
Kcobra
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Recent Mods on My 987.2 Spyder

I recently went the Soul route and installed competition headers, IPD plenum/ throttle body and tune. I also de- snorkeled the air intake and added an AFE filter. As stated above all I can say is wow! The car rocks. I left the PSE but am now searching for exhaust options.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:39 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Has anyone done the softronics without changing the headers/cats? I'm curious how much of an improvement you can get in stock form?

Honestly I never found the car to be lacking in power as long as I keep it above 3300 RPM but more power never hurts

Quick Reply: 987.2 Spyder + Softronic = Wow