Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Spyder - Full Color Change Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 02:04 PM
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 981 Spyder - Full Color Change Wrap

I have a 981 Spyder in Jet Black Metallic. After seeing Donavan’s Sport Classic Grey Spyder I wanted to try a grey wrap on the car. I went back and forth between going with a darker Nardo grey or my original Sport Classic/Fashion grey choice. You are limited on available Vinyl colors and after talking with two local Phoenix AZ installers and researching the brands of Vinyl, I wanted to stick with the 3M 1080 or Avery Dennison SW900 product. The third option was Orafol 970RA but both of the local installers didn’t recommend this product as high as 3M or Avery. After my wife and I attended the Sotheby’s auction here in Phoenix and saw an original 2010 Porsche Sport Classic edition in person, I knew we would go with the lighter grey.

My car already had XPEL clear over the entire front of the car up to the windshield, and I was anticipating having to remove this prior to the wrap. The XPEL was in great condition so instead of removing it, the installer chose to wrap over the XPEL adding another layer of protection. Once the car was wrapped, it was treated with a ceramic coating made specifically for vinyl by Ceramic Pro.

It’s extremely hard to tell it is not paint. I was fortunate to start with a black car and black interior, so no need to wrap inside the doors. Donavan helped me with another Sport Classic Grey Spyder owner in Germany that added the stripes to his car. He tracked down the product and color code for the stripes (thanks again Donavan). In the end, we used a different product for the stripes that the installer was more comfortable with.

I also had the “Spyder” logo on the side of the car Plasti dipped (easily removable) in Black. The car looks very different in different light conditions. It goes from a darker grey to almost white depending on the light. The stripes also vary depending on lighting. I’ll attach a picture of the car in the shop sitting in front of a Chalk GT3. Hard to tell in the picture but the wrap is a shade lighter than OEM chalk.

The last picture has the front of the stripes re-trimmed along the front. After picking up the car, I wasn’t completely happy with the way the stripes were cut. One side was slightly closer to the hood line and not totally symmetric. A quick call to Josh @ Echelon and the stripe was re-cut in 5 minutes and looks perfect. I can’t recommend these guys enough.

Echelon Motorsports (EAWraps) next to the Scottsdale airport here in Phoenix did the wrap. First class operation.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:22 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Wow, looks awesome! Do you mind sending me a PM with costs? Thinking about this for mine as well just for fun.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:34 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

That’s a great way to give the car a new look, great choice in color and stripe.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:51 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,606 Likes on 884 Posts

Looks great! Looks like a whole new Spyder! Glad to hear my old Spyder custom build inspired you.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:54 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Wow! It looks fantastic!! Maybe I can make my car Meissen Blue without spending $15-20K for a full repaint.

How long is the wrap supposed to last? Is it something you have to have it redone every few years?
Old 02-24-2019, 11:14 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 787 Posts

Man, that is a gutsy move on such a fine car. I could never pull the trigger on a full wrap no matter how optimistic I was about the end result. Yours looks great.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:39 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

What a transformation! You have to be thrilled with your "new" car, although your "old" car wasn't too shabby. Congrats!
Old 02-25-2019, 12:31 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 311 Posts

What a great change. And any day that you'd like to, you can rip off the wrap on the 4 fenders, or rip off the wrap on the frunk and trunk, and it's like getting another car all over again!
Talk about options, this is something that PCNA could monetize. If it was a 3k$ option from the factory, I'd click that box.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:45 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Very nicely done! Love the stripes too.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:08 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Beautiful. Wraps have come a long way. Looks glossy and stock.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder - Full Color Change Wrap