Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Newbie(s)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 03:25 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 981 Newbie(s)

I've read pages of Newbie This & Newbie That and thought that one of general interest for 981s might be in order to include/summarize a lot of different future threads. I would like to start with a question that might be of great general interest:

There is an indentation on the inner door sill on the passenger side of the car. It doesn't seem large enough for a spare tire; what is it?

Thanx,
Richard
Old 02-22-2019, 03:56 PM
GoCards67
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 82 Posts

The long narrow opening along the passenger door threshold? That is for an umbrella.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:22 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

I just found a very interesting site. It is called Monronylabels.com. If you're wondering about your car, or want to check what options came on a car, it'll cost $8. I had no idea that the car I just bought had $20K in options. And they still missed some that I would have liked.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:08 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$20K in options on a recent Porsche isn’t much at all. My 981S was well north of that, and just the wheel upgrade was ~$4,500. The options add up quickly on these cars.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:42 PM
swessels
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It only existed on the 2013 models. After that it disappeared.

It held an umbrella, as already noted.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:24 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by vracer
I just found a very interesting site. It is called Monronylabels.com. If you're wondering about your car, or want to check what options came on a car, it'll cost $8. I had no idea that the car I just bought had $20K in options. And they still missed some that I would have liked.
The url is https://monroneylabels.com/

Use this for cars in North America > MY2000, it's free..

https://vinanalytics.com
Old 02-25-2019, 01:22 AM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by swessels

While my Cayman is a model year '14, it was built in May of '13. And, 'somehow' sold in June in Calif. Extremely fast ship?

Saabin, thanx for the spelling correction. I think it is a great source for people who buy "a car" for the things they can see readily, but are not quite sure of all the features it has. Actually, I thought I bought a fairly basic stripper. Now I see that despite having $20K in extras, the car still lacks many thinks I expect to see on a "well optioned" German car. I wonder how many years we are from seeing the fourth wheel an optional extra.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:27 AM
vracer
Rennlist Member

My car was built in May of 13. Can anyone tell me about Navigation updates? Is it a dealer flash? New DVD? Any info would be helpful.
Thanks,
Old 03-03-2019, 03:10 AM
vracer
Rennlist Member

For those of us who have bought used cars, most from dealers come without the Monroney Label, or "the window sticker". That's the way many of my cars have come, but now there is an answer, cheaper, (and better?) than the COA. I had already filled out the form to get a COA, and was ready to write the check, ($110) when I got distracted. When I came back to the computer, I stumbled across MonroneyLabels.com. For $7 or 8 I got a copy of the 'Monroney Sticker' from my car immediately. It listed all the extras, as well as the options, and their prices. I had been thinking my car was almost a 'stripper', but thanks to Senator Monroney from 1958, I found that my car had $20K of options. FWIW, there are still quite a few things that I think should have been born on the car.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:50 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 408 Likes on 270 Posts

While my Cayman is a model year '14, it was built in May of '13. And, 'somehow' sold in June in Calif. Extremely fast ship?

Saabin, thanx for the spelling correction. I think it is a great source for people who buy "a car" for the things they can see readily, but are not quite sure of all the features it has. Actually, I thought I bought a fairly basic stripper. Now I see that despite having $20K in extras, the car still lacks many thinks I expect to see on a "well optioned" German car. I wonder how many years we are from seeing the fourth wheel an optional extra.
I have not seen any car company do options as well as Porsche. For a certain time period recently, I believe Porsche was the most profitable car company (from a percentage standpoint I beleive) and I attribute this to their use of options.

As an example, my 2006 Cayman S increased from a base price of $59,695 to $83,215 after options (40% increase). That was $4,000 more than a 911 Carrera S back in 2006.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:18 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Well Zach, I've said this before. Probably sometime within the next 3-4 years, Porsche will figure which three wheels the car normally sits on, and the fourth will become an optional extra.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:37 AM
isthar
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GoCards67
The long narrow opening along the passenger door threshold? That is for an umbrella.
Any pointers to find said umbrella... or a compatible umbrella.. at a reasonable price? I think I see the Porsche branded one close to $100 which is nuts
Old 03-05-2019, 06:31 PM
algiorda
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by swessels

The 986 models have the umbrella holder.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:04 AM
vracer
Rennlist Member

This time I'm looking for help with the nav. system. The previous owner seems to have put in a hunt for hotels in the POI search systems. Now the screen is full of the symbols, and I can't get rid of them. I can get to the POI site, and, then a list of hotels, (listed alphabetically) but I'm afraid to push anymore buttons.
Ideas please,
Richard
Old 03-13-2019, 12:01 PM
isthar
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

This time I'm looking for help with the nav. system. The previous owner seems to have put in a hunt for hotels in the POI search systems. Now the screen is full of the symbols, and I can't get rid of them. I can get to the POI site, and, then a list of hotels, (listed alphabetically) but I'm afraid to push anymore buttons.
Ideas please,
Richard
You want to go into the OPTIONS for the POI - you can choose what POIs you want on the map out of seriously about 100 choices. When I got my Boxster it had Golfing areas marked! I think there is also a quick "Show all" (don't do that) and "Show none". Make it "Show none" and then find the few POIs that might interest you. I do recommend things like Tourist Sights or whatever its called, that will spot you cool areas with nice views, say which typically go along with nice roads
I think I also let it show me Porsche service/dealers...

Quick Reply: 981 Newbie(s)