Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blind Spot Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 10:45 AM
A1Aflorida
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Blind Spot Mirrors

As we all know, rear and side visibility is not the greatest on our Porsche’s. Changing lanes on 4 and 5 lane I-95 in heavy traffic here in south Florida is challenging and sometimes scary!

Looking for recommendations for add-on blind spot mirrors for the outside rearview mirrors of a 987.1 CS. Is there a consensus on the best type, brand, etc.? Anyone aware of custom mirrors specifically for Porsche’s?

Any and all input will be appreciated.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:11 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It is possible to setup your existing mirrors to nearly eliminate your blind spots. Instead of looking down the side of your car and at the car behind you (what your center mirror is for), angle the side mirrors further outward such that as a car disappears from the center mirror it enters the side mirror, and as it exits the side mirror it enters your peripheral vision. The only cars I ever have trouble with in the remaining blind spot are Minis, Miatas, and Smarts. Everything else is long enough to not be an issue.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:30 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

^^^Yup.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:35 PM
A1Aflorida
Instructor

Thanks Scooby and others. While trying to navigate back to this thread I came across a thread from last November regarding mirror adjusting, which is what kiznarsh is illustrating. I will try, but I have to agree it may take some getting used to. It seems counterintuitive to have the side mirrors all the way out, but only trying it will tell.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:42 PM
nr981
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
^^^Yup.

That's the way I handled the Boxster. There are significant blind spots with the top up, but adjusting the mirrors helps a lot. Now, if I could find a reasonable backup camera (the parking sensors are nice, but not a real substitute) ....

Old 02-20-2019, 05:51 PM
Twodan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased two approx 2" GLASS lens blind spot mirrors on Amazon a few years ago. This way I can use the flat mirror to back up and the convex for the close sides of the car.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:29 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The big down side to sporty cars is that they all come with smaller mirrors (less drag). Less stuff fits in the view and even if you do stick a convex mirror on there it's usually small enough to be less than useful. You have to spend too much time focusing on it to be sure that you do or don't see a car. Too much time with eyes off the road in front. Most of the vehicles I've driven that have that sort of convex feature (OEM or otherwise) have been a great thought and a poor implementation. Only on a truck with a larger mirror can you fit a large enough convex insert to make it useful.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:01 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
^^^Yup.

This is the correct way to adjust mirrors. I have used this approach for 50 plus years of driving all sorts of vehicles. You should have to lean slightly left or right to see the side of your vehicle . You should have a panoramic view of the areas behind and beside you. A very slight head turn is all that's needed to check for something small enough to hide in your mirrors remaining blind spot but still visible in your peripheral vision.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:14 PM
A1Aflorida
Instructor

Agreed, my truck mirrors have spoiled me!
Old 02-21-2019, 08:59 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm sorry, but NO: You cannot eliminate blind spots by just adjusting your mirrors on these cars, you can only improve your field of visibility. Especially on the Boxster that has significantly worse visibility than the Cayman; when the roof is up, there are no quarter windows and you're stuck with postage slot back window.

I have worked with people who have fused necks and for track days, we got them the cheap little $1 round stick on mirrors from Wally World. It may not look the best, but it works and it truly eliminates the blind spot.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:22 AM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

On another car I have, I got a somewhat more convex mirror than the car had, cut it to fit, and used double sided tape to fasten it to the passenger side mirror. It does exactly what it should. I broadens the field of view.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:46 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even small convex stick on mirrors help me.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:56 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereT
I'm sorry, but NO: You cannot eliminate blind spots by just adjusting your mirrors on these cars, you can only improve your field of visibility. Especially on the Boxster that has significantly worse visibility than the Cayman; when the roof is up, there are no quarter windows and you're stuck with postage slot back window.

I have worked with people who have fused necks and for track days, we got them the cheap little $1 round stick on mirrors from Wally World. It may not look the best, but it works and it truly eliminates the blind spot.
I agree 100%.
Put a round convex mirror in the outside left corner of your drivers side mirror and you can see from your body panels (for a reference point) to the entire lane (and more) beside you for a threat indicator.
I've used them for 20+ years.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:36 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Of course this issue is US specific. AFAIK the rest of the world gets mildly convex mirrors as standard--I've heard they are illegal in the States.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:22 PM
HETPE3B
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by GregWormald
Of course this issue is US specific. AFAIK the rest of the world gets mildly convex mirrors as standard--I've heard they are illegal in the States.
Just wanted to say the same thing. For my bimmer I did order the set of mirror glass from Europe. Absolutely loved them. Sold mines (US spec) and recoup most of the money I paid for the EU version. I guess this should fix the most problems with the blind spots. May not be the least expensive option. Also if purchased from the eastern europe - there is a good chance the mirror glasses has been stolen. It's a real gold mine business in there - audi, bimmers, mercedes are cruising around without the mirror glasses (or the whole mirror assembly) and without the parking sensors. It's that bad.

Quick Reply: Blind Spot Mirrors