Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blind Spot Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 08:53 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GregWormald
Of course this issue is US specific. AFAIK the rest of the world gets mildly convex mirrors as standard--I've heard they are illegal in the States.
Greg, convex is OK on the passenger side, not the driver's.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:10 PM
HETPE3B
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by vracer
Greg, convex is OK on the passenger side, not the driver's.
What's wrong with the convex on the driver side?
Old 02-23-2019, 10:02 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby921
It is possible to setup your existing mirrors to nearly eliminate your blind spots. Instead of looking down the side of your car and at the car behind you (what your center mirror is for), angle the side mirrors further outward such that as a car disappears from the center mirror it enters the side mirror, and as it exits the side mirror it enters your peripheral vision. The only cars I ever have trouble with in the remaining blind spot are Minis, Miatas, and Smarts. Everything else is long enough to not be an issue.
That's the procedure I have always followed. Maybe not perfect, but it's close.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:35 AM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HETPE3B
What's wrong with the convex on the driver side?
It does change your perspective. And I am assuming that 'the powers that be' don't believe that we are capable of learning that change. I don't remember ever having or seeing a mirror on a race car. Of course we all know racecar drivers are a special breed above ordinary mortals.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:27 AM
HETPE3B
Racer

Originally Posted by vracer
It does change your perspective. And I am assuming that 'the powers that be' don't believe that we are capable of learning that change. I don't remember ever having or seeing a mirror on a race car. Of course we all know racecar drivers are a special breed above ordinary mortals.

If we are talking about the OEM driver side convex mirror - it doesn’t change the perspective. It only has a 25% part on the left that is curved. So the main part is normal without the distortion of the perspective and only left part giving the extra field of view. They are divided with a striped line as shown on the image attached. Very safe and extremely convenient.

Last edited by HETPE3B; 02-24-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:04 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

This is an OEM mirror? I've never seen one, but it certainly looks interesting. Any idea how much?
Old 02-24-2019, 02:24 PM
HETPE3B
Racer

You won't see any of those in US, unless someone purchase them somewhere else. I guess the one on the picture is for 981, if I'm not mistaken. Those are original mirrors you can find on European spec cars. I don't know if any "premium packages" are required to get those, since the ones on the pictures are also with autodimming feature, besides the heating and convex.
Even used mirror glass pair goes above $200 on eBay. I don't know if both mirrors are convex or only the driver side. On my BMW I had both of them with this 1/4 portion convex. Again, I did purchase them on eBay from Europe for my bimmer.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:13 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

I have those aspheric mirrors (that's what they are called) on the Spyder. You could get them from Suncoast. But, don't! They're useless on 981! The mirrors are housed deep inside the trim, unlike previous generations. So, the wide angle part of the mirrors are blocked by the interior of the housing! You don't get the wide angle view of the next lane. So, I stuck those simple, round convex mirrors on the aspherics!

I also agree that you really can't eliminate blind spots from any adjustment. All vehicles have blind spots.

There used to be a small company that made custom wide angle mirrors. I've those on the S2000. They're no longer in business. If you look around, could find a company that can make custom mirrors.

Quick Reply: Blind Spot Mirrors