Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2'000$ for Porsche Approved Warranty - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 10:24 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm wondering about "Out of warranty warranties" too. I just bought a missing link car, a Cayman built in early '13. It is a 19K one owner car with 0 over-revs that passed a Porsche PPI with flying colors, but I inquired about a warranty/service contract while at the dealership. Porsche sells a "Platinum VSC - 48 month/$250 deductible (each time used) 48K miles plan for $5,100. I plan to keep the car about two years, and you can get half your money back in two years or transfer to a buyer. The plan is administered by SafeGuard Products Intl.

I'd love to hear peoples opinions. I'm also wondering if anyone knows of other dealers who might sell it cheaper. I know that prices on plans like this can be flexible.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:39 AM
Ale_72
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by MerlinRS
Wow, that is super interesting and what a great mod! The car sounds like a GT3 almost but no drone and a little less loud. Perfect. Did you have to buy additional tail pipes, screws, nuts etc. to fit the Carnewal? Two things I don't quite understand:
1) Don't you lose your Porsche Approved Warranty as the exhaust is no longer "stock"?
2) Is this legal in Switzerland? (MFK, Police...)
Ciao
Well... let's put it in this way...
1. It's based on a stock exhaust and the only difference it's a round welding almost invisible after a few thousand kms (I think, see picture below taken from another forum). As of now, I had the climate control unit replaced under PA and nobody complained (but I do all maintenance in Milan, including paid services, so maybe they are more "flexible")
2. MFK - not done yet but the noise is really not that strong/loud, most of all at reasonable RPM. I am not worried at all. Even there, since it's only 12 years I am in CH, I still prefer to go to MFK through an independent garage, used to handle noisy cars. If my other car made it two years ago (but not sure I'll be again that lucky) any car can make it. Regarding police well... speed limits are so strict in CH that I seldom drive there and they should stop other thousand cars before mine, for the noise.
In which part of CH are you?

Old 02-21-2019, 02:09 PM
MerlinRS
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sweet, thanks! I am located in at the Walensee, an hour south of Zurich close to Graubünden. We should do a drive together in summer! Maybe a nice pass to Italy so I can take the car above 130 km/h finally haha!

Carnewal GT solution seems to be a good deal. I contacted Gert directly and he gave me a quote for all parts. I'm probably going to add 981S tailpipes too. I will contact my OPC to check MFK and Approved compatibility.

What do you mean by going to MFK through an independent garage? Is there a way to "sneak" through small mods? Apologies if this is a silly question, I've not been to an MFK yet as it's my first car after getting the license.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:24 AM
Ale_72
Pro

I am In Zurich, but now I am keeping both cars in Milan since recently I only use public transportation in CH. My right foot is too heavy for the local regulations

Carnewal GT solution seems to be a good deal. I contacted Gert directly and he gave me a quote for all parts. I'm probably going to add 981S tailpipes too. I will contact my OPC to check MFK and Approved compatibility.
I can imagine that they will tell you "no", just to be on the safe side.

What do you mean by going to MFK through an independent garage? Is there a way to "sneak" through small mods? Apologies if this is a silly question, I've not been to an MFK yet as it's my first car after getting the license.
I understood that there are authorised garages that can do the MFK (and I think it's where my other car was taken to), different from the Strassenverkehrsamt, who are not as strict.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:46 PM
MerlinRS
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I am In Zurich, but now I am keeping both cars in Milan since recently I only use public transportation in CH. My right foot is too heavy for the local regulations
I see haha

I can imagine that they will tell you "no", just to be on the safe side

Would you just do the mod and then try to apply for Approved again in June? If they don't accept I could contact another OPC.

I understood that there are authorised garages that can do the MFK (and I think it's where my other car was taken to), different from the Strassenverkehrsamt, who are not as strict.
Ah cool! Which one did you take it to?
Old 02-22-2019, 01:48 PM
Ale_72
Pro

Would you just do the mod and then try to apply for Approved again in June?
Honestly? Yes.
Ah cool! Which one did you take it to?
Let me check my mail monday, and I'll send you a PM. If I forget, send me a PM.

Quick Reply: 2'000$ for Porsche Approved Warranty - worth it?