Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP Strange Engine Tapping Cold (+video)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 07:52 PM
flat6ftw
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP Strange Engine Tapping Cold (+video)

Hi guys, long time listener first time caller! Saw a few threads on this general topic but none with a concrete resolution. 2007 987.1 Cayman S 34k miles. My car makes this strange intermittent tapping noise when it is cold and it lasts about 3-5 min then goes away never to return until the next (cold) start, the noise will change with RPM and will go away with high rpm its loudest at idle, I've tried pushing in clutch and turning on AC compressor no change. The car has 34k miles on it and the oil is brand new Motul 5w-40 syn.

I've asked a few people and I hear everything from scored cylinders to a water pump to "its nothing just umprimed lifters " and "they all do that"

Here is a video I shot today --note on my channel I have 3 videos--- the one below is 1 min after initial cold start the noise is loudest..it then lasts 2 min before going away

Temp is 58 degrees F and car has been sitting 3 days. Video below

Old 02-18-2019, 09:27 PM
Deepbluejh
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

While some engine tapping is normal when the engine is cold, this sounds very different than what I would expect. My 981 has ticked a little bit when cold since it was brand new, but never this irregular or loud.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:11 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

I can't help much, unfortunately, but it does not sound normal to me (and my car had a ticking issue that was partially resolved with 50w oil and more frequent changes). Your options are probably to drop the oil pan and inspect for debris, send oil sample for analysis, and borescope the engine. That'll tell if you have bore scoring or other debris in there. Nobody is going to be able to accurately diagnose it with just the noise.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:17 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

My first guess would be lifters. All my cars have lifter tick until they're up to temperature. Keep it under 3krpm (preferably lower) until water and oil temps are where they should be.

Of course, I could be wrong. It's hard to diagnose noises from videos.

What oil are you using?
Old 02-19-2019, 10:52 AM
flat6ftw
Intermediate

Oil is motul 5w-40. I did not drop the pan but I did change the oil and inspect the filter it looked normal no metal debris on the filter or magnetic plug
Old 02-20-2019, 01:35 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds almost exactly like this car:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9660...ing-noise.html
Old 02-20-2019, 02:41 PM
flat6ftw
Intermediate

Interesting it does sound like that however that a bit sound deeper and more like a knock...he also noted that his happens when it is warm. Mine only happens on a cold start for about 60-120 seconds
Old 02-20-2019, 03:13 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 203 Posts

Not definite but, if you feel like DIY, one possibility is that it's one of the variocam solenoids since they alter positioning after the DME warmup cycle.
Switch banks with them and if the noise switches banks, you have your answer. (first identify if and which bank is ticking)
You should get new covers to make sure they seal which are about $10 each at RM European (Porsche factory part)

Edit: Thought of another possibility if the above yields no change, or, to check first. The Variocam requires the right viscosity oil for the passages to work as designed.
If the cold viscosity (lower number ie. 5w in your case) is too thick, you can get a ticking sound until the Variocam switches over or the oil warms up.
This happened to me while running thicker oil for track work on the warmup cycle. The Motul oils tend to run thicker than the Mobil oils for the same rating
ie. your 5w could be more like a Mobil 10w when cold. You mentioned it is fresh Motul which hints at it potentially causing the ticking.

Last edited by A432; 02-20-2019 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply: HELP Strange Engine Tapping Cold (+video)