Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Fan Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 01:00 PM
mithiral67
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Strange Fan Noise

I was hoping someone could help with a noise I heard. I was driving around 2015 Cayman GTS, when I started to hear a buzzing noise like something hitting fan blades. It was coming from the driver side intake vent/in the wheel hump. Lasted for about 15 mins then cleared up and haven't heard it for a few months. I guessed that it was maybe a leaf in fan or something. I didn't get any warning lights, cars been running great.

Does anyone know if there is a fan in that area? What that might have been?

I only ask now because when I park my car (its winter), the back side smells hotter than normal when I walk into my house. Usually the area doesn't smell hot but for those days I am really pushing the car before hitting the garage. We all know that smell compared to the normal smell.

Worried its something cooling related and the winter temps are masking something that's broken. Out of warranty.

Thanks
James
Old 02-18-2019, 02:23 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

There is a temp sensor controlled fan in the lower half of the intake vent on each side of the 981 cars. If you peek deep down in there when the engine is running you can see the fan. It will come on even when the engine and key is off if the temperature in the engine bay is too hot. You probably got a leaf in there and it finally dislodged. If you verify the fans on both sides are spinning when the engine is running after warming up to full operating temperature and sitting at idle, I wouldn't worry about it. Each fan is about 6 inches or so in diameter.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:34 PM
mithiral67
Instructor

Originally Posted by okie981
There is a temp sensor controlled fan in the lower half of the intake vent on each side of the 981 cars. If you peek deep down in there when the engine is running you can see the fan. It will come on even when the engine and key is off if the temperature in the engine bay is too hot. You probably got a leaf in there and it finally dislodged. If you verify the fans on both sides are spinning when the engine is running after warming up to full operating temperature and sitting at idle, I wouldn't worry about it. Each fan is about 6 inches or so in diameter.
awesome. Thanks for the info. I will check when I get home. How hard are they to swap out myself?
Old 02-18-2019, 08:28 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

I doubt you have a fan failure, it is a reliable part, but if so, it is doable by a home mechanic. But you will need to put the car up on a lift or get it safely elevated so you can get underneath and reach up into the engine bay. Not easy, but doable. Again, it is unlikely you have a fan failure.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:14 PM
mithiral67
Instructor

Originally Posted by okie981
I doubt you have a fan failure, it is a reliable part, but if so, it is doable by a home mechanic. But you will need to put the car up on a lift or get it safely elevated so you can get underneath and reach up into the engine bay. Not easy, but doable. Again, it is unlikely you have a fan failure.
Got home, both sides not spinning. Might have to wait for a warm day to see if they are good.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:01 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Forgot to mention, in the unlikely event a fan needs to be replaced, they can also be accessed from above by removing the engine cover, but that may be more awkward in a Cayman than putting the car up on a lift and accessing them from underneath.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:59 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You might want to install one of these to prevent leaves, road debris from entering the intake tract.

Porsche Cayman and Boxster 981 Side Intake Mesh Grille

Quick Reply: Strange Fan Noise