Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman 981 doubter

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 09:20 PM
michaewh
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman 981 doubter

I’ve been shopping (obsessing) a base MT 981 Cayman for months now. I finally got a chance to rent one on Turo for the day. My what an increadible piece of machinery! But, I came away a bit of a doubter, so please enlighten me!

I drove ~120 spirited miles in mixed driving. I am convinced more than ever that the Cayman is solid and capable. But, I also felt that its limits are so far above normal use, that I’ll not be able to enjoy it much outside of a track (not in the plans much). The 981 I drove had 19” wheels on Pirelli PZeros. Not great in the cold (upper 30s) and wet in the northwest. I’d probably spec 18s and make sure I had a set of all season or winter tires. Hearing that flat six approach redline is intoxicating, but I found that by the time I got to third gear, I had to back way off. Also, I only got 16 MPGs, which is much lower than the rated numbers of 22-30.

I also own a 2018 Miata MX5 ST Club. Though clearly not as capable, I find it much more fun as I can drive nearer its limits on a regular basis.

So, I may just Turo the 918 Cayman a few times a year and postpone my purchase until I have a bit more time/space/funds to run the Cayman.

Thoughts?
Old 02-17-2019, 09:39 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to the forum! You have touched on a very good point, and one that probably won't get a lot of support on a car enthusiast board, but one that should at least be considered when shopping for a sports car. The modern day sports cars can operate so far above street legal limits that most owners will not ever see the limits of their cars, and will likely not drive anywhere close to the limits with any regularity. Consequently, a lot of cars become show pieces, or are hard parked at the local cars and coffees or PCA meets. There is a smaller, but dedicated group that actually does track their cars... DEs, AutoX, racing... but as we all know, if you're going to race your car you'd better be prepared to wreck it, and many of us don't want to risk that in something as nice as our Porsches.

I've owned three Porsches... a base 997.2, a turbo 997.1 and a base 981 Cayman which is what I have now. The Cayman in the base format with the 6MT and the sports exhaust is the most fun Porsche I've ever driven. And yes, even at only 275hp, it still gets to illegal speeds at the top of 2nd gear. However, take the car out on a nice back road with a lot of turns, or through a scenic drive with no stoplights and it is pure joy to drive. You don't have to wind every gear out to have fun, and yet it isn't so overpowering like my 911 Turbo was where you really can't EVER wind it out. Because you already own a 2018 Miata, perhaps you have the perfect car if what you want is to extract most of the power out of your car while driving on the street. The Cayman is more powerful, more refined and sexier. If you believe you're going to actually drive it, I'd say go for it.

And I say all the above as I still waffle back and forth between keeping or selling my car. My reasoning is that I almost never drive it, not because I don't love the car, but because I don't really have the time or the wallet to devote to a track schedule, and it is kind of a "waste" to drive to and from work on my short little 9 mile commute. I almost always choose another vehicle for most of my driving needs. It's glorious when I do drive the Porsche though, and that's why I have still held on to it.
The following 4 users liked this post by vbb:
Aussie skypig (10-21-2023), Lorenzo64 (02-06-2020), maschinetheist (01-23-2021), Redsoxwin (08-30-2022)
Old 02-17-2019, 09:44 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

The Cayman GT4 (3.8L) won evo car of the year in 2015 when it came out. One of the main reasons was that it was judged to have the best combination of power and handling that is actually usable by the driver.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:54 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

You bring up an excellent point for the vast majority of Porsche sports cars that are sold--except for track use, most have useable limits orders of magnitude above what's legal (and likely safe on public roads with other drivers). But one of the key exceptions is the Cayman, especially in Base form.

Give it a shot and you're highly unlikely to be disappointed.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (01-23-2021)
Old 02-17-2019, 10:56 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Honestly, if you think the Cayman's limits are too high for the street and you're just gonna slap some all seasons on it, you're just fine in your MX-5 and really, truthfully, there's no real need to upgrade. The Miata is perfect for general everyday fun and backroad blasting; the 981 is more hardcore and better suited for folk who do have an interest in getting a little more out of their cars than the street can offer (or have disposable income).
Old 02-17-2019, 11:29 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I owned two Miatas long ago. You're correct...amazing cars. You're also correct...the 981 limits are really only met (safely and legally) on a track.

It's a different universe when it comes to Porsche. Would I be happy returning to a Miata? Yep. Would it be the same as my Caymans and Boxsters? Nope. I would very much miss them.

Now that you've had your first taste and know more about all things 981....try renting it again and see what you think the second time around. Maybe love...or not. :-)
Old 02-17-2019, 11:44 PM
JSF101
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 97 Posts

you've answered your own question, press on!
Originally Posted by michaewh

I also own a 2018 Miata MX5 ST Club. Though clearly not as capable, I find it much more fun as I can drive nearer its limits on a regular basis.

Thoughts?
Old 02-18-2019, 12:24 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

You can’t beat the Miata. I got into Porsches from the Miata for two primary reasons:

1. Frunk and trunk for luggage. Two of us and we take two week road trips. Just not possible in the Miata.

2. Ventilated seats. Once it gets over 83 degrees you just can’t do the Miata unless you want to completely sweat through your clothes and be a miserable disgusting mess.

Of course my Boxster and 911 have many more advantages over the Miata on paper, but for sheer joy driving on public roads? My 2001 Miata all the way.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:33 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Look at a 987.2 as a possible alternative. They’re a bit more analog and thus it feels like you’re going much faster.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:32 AM
Goonfather
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

This is all highly subjective, but I will lend my personal experience. I found my 987 CS a 'bit quick' to start with, especially coming from an almost exclusively BMW background, I wasn't all together comfortable with the mid-engine set up and thought that I would be quite happy keeping my 987 to the street. However, 8 months in, I can safely say that this is a very forgiving car once you get used to the placement for cornering, it will keep inviting you to push that limit a bit more. Trackday is on the horizon now. Go for it, if it doesn't work out, then at least you can go back.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:31 AM
bvanlieu
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing wrong with your observations: lots of folks will agree with them including me For the street, as a few have already said the base cars are typically more fun for those who like to hear 7K. If you short shift, the torque of the S models is what draws you. One is not better then the other, its driving preferences. We upgraded from a 987.1 base to a 981 GTS, so quite a spread. The power is fun, but the ideal cayman for my tastes is a 3.0l GTS which does not exist Less power, bit shorter gearing so redline in 2nd isn't lose your license illegal, nice appearance package and X73 suspension.

I also owned and modified a 92 NA miata for 10 years. 116hp was a hoot, but commuting was meh. 200WHP was a blast but also some of the soul of the car was lost by having the FM2 kit on it. I wrenched on it myself for the most part, and it was a zen experience.

So OP, go for a few more drives and try to get a car with a PSE (and compare seats, I like the 4 way sports myself), and if you can find a 987.2 base 2.9 also try that car to compare different generations.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:43 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Get a 986
Old 02-18-2019, 12:29 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Very fair point, but the answer for me (and most on here, it seems) is enjoying driving the car at 7/10 in the mountains and taking it to the track and/or autocross as much as your wallet and time will allow.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:02 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Some people feel at home in Porsches. I have been driving them since I was 14 and I used to drive dads around the neighborhood when no one was home... (yeah before I got a license) so lock up your keys if you have children.... Others find them to be too much car.

I guess its like, I think F1 guys are out of their minds, or Airplane pilots have a screw loose. Its just who you are.

Its okay.

If you want to sing out, sing out, if you want to be free, be free...
Old 02-18-2019, 11:23 PM
michaewh
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Lots to ponder (and test drive!).

Quick Reply: Cayman 981 doubter