Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman 981 doubter

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 12:31 PM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Yuuuuup. Same here.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:28 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

That's why there's the Boxster, drop the top and put the windows down you get more sensation of speed than the Cayman.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:25 PM
NWOBHM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by professsorz
All hail 18*s! I wish Rosie had come with them. But the 19s are pretty ...

As for gas mileage. HA! Not going to brag on that one. I've become accustomed to high teens. On the plus side, I did a precise (two drivers following same course at same time) comparison of an '08 BMW 328 6 speed with my '08 RS 60. BMW 225 hp, Porsche 303 hp. And the RS 60 actually got better gas mileage by approximately 10%. Didn't have sport mode on so the hp was presumably 295. Anyway, it won the comparison, which surprised me as I've had lots of BMWs which got low 20's and so I figured the Porsche must just be bad on gas. But now I realize it's GOOD and it's just that my long highway percentage in the BMWs was skewing my perceptions. Bottom line is that engaging and powerful and wonderful NA 6 cylinders aren't going to win any gas mileage sweepstakes. The price you pay for all the rest that they provide.
Since I don't track "Nero" I switched out the summer only Michelin tires it came with for a full set of Continental DWS06 all-seasons on the stock 18's. They are, in my opinion, the best all around all season tire I've run - have had them on my wife's Golf SE and also on a prior car (Hellcat) and they are scary good in wet and snow (well, what limited snow we get down here in SC) - can't speak for the track though.

Gas mileage hovers around 18 or so for me around town - although I was in Florida this last week for the game and my wife drove the car all weekend. I came back and she had averages 24 around town! I'm willing to give up the MPG for the Miles of Fun though!!

Quick Reply: Cayman 981 doubter