Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight bulb upgrade for Porsche Boxster 981

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 11:08 PM
hlane550
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight bulb upgrade for Porsche Boxster 981

I just purchased a 2013 Porsche Boxster with the standard halogen headlights. I much prefer the look of my dad's 991 with the Xenon headlights, which give the headlight a "blue'er" appearance. I was wondering if anyone has replaced their standard halogen bulbs on their Boxster for a LED bulb or an HID kit. If so, can you give me where you purchased it and what measures it takes to change the bulb out.

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:21 PM
algiorda
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed this kit in my 2013 Boxster and they perform beautifully and it was a relative easy install. You just need to drill a quarter sized hole in the rear of the headlight and install the included rubber grommet. Make sure you order the CANBUS adapter/version of the kit. This kit made a HUGE difference in lighting.

https://www.xenondepot.com/H7-HID-Ki...ID-p/xt-h7.htm
Old 02-16-2019, 11:27 PM
hlane550
3rd Gear

Thank you for the prompt response. I do not see an option on the website for the CANBUS adapter/version of the kit. Also, where did you mount the ballast?
Old 03-06-2019, 09:40 AM
algiorda
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hlane550
Thank you for the prompt response. I do not see an option on the website for the CANBUS adapter/version of the kit. Also, where did you mount the ballast?
I purchased it with the PWM module. The PWM module is for the automatic headlights; so It might be a combination Canbus adapter to enable it to do that. Just to be safe, give them a call just to make sure nothing has changed and that this system is compatible with a CANBUS.

Also, I did not wire my lights to the battery and thus did not need the included relay with battery terminal connectors. I simply plugged the ballast into the Porsche connector. Here is another tip, use the plastic protective cover as a template to cut the hole in the headlight housing to slip the bulb wires through and cover with the included grommet. I used a 1" spade bit to cut the plastic and it was a perfect fit/size. I also purchased the 5K color, which I feel is a good combination of natural and bright light. It's just the right amount with no bluing or yellowing.
Old 09-20-2019, 04:27 PM
hlane550
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by algiorda
I purchased it with the PWM module. The PWM module is for the automatic headlights; so It might be a combination Canbus adapter to enable it to do that. Just to be safe, give them a call just to make sure nothing has changed and that this system is compatible with a CANBUS.

Also, I did not wire my lights to the battery and thus did not need the included relay with battery terminal connectors. I simply plugged the ballast into the Porsche connector. Here is another tip, use the plastic protective cover as a template to cut the hole in the headlight housing to slip the bulb wires through and cover with the included grommet. I used a 1" spade bit to cut the plastic and it was a perfect fit/size. I also purchased the 5K color, which I feel is a good combination of natural and bright light. It's just the right amount with no bluing or yellowing.
Thank you very much. When you say you drilled the back of the headlight, what do you mean more specifically. I finally bought the kit and I don’t want to mess this up so I was wondering if you could tell me specifically what you did.

thank you

Quick Reply: Headlight bulb upgrade for Porsche Boxster 981