Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Estimate

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 05:27 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,335 Likes on 1,920 Posts
Default Service Estimate

New to brand and my 987.2 2011 Boxster Spyder is coming up on it’s annual service. Has 30K miles and 9 years in service, have all the records and it has had all services done on time or early.

Got an estimate for $1300 that includes oil, PDK, and drive belt...which has never been replaced so seems prudent. Likely will receive a PCA or Military discount on quoted price. Think they also included a filter in the cost.

I understand that an Indy would be cheaper, but I always prefer OEM servicing. While new to this brand, not new to premium brands and associated costs.

Just looking if this is in the ballpark.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:21 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,613 Likes on 888 Posts

Did It have its scheduled 8 year/40k miles Major Service?
Thats the bigger one... that happens every 4 years or 20k miles.

9 year shouldn’t be a major one... unless it skipped the second Major Service 8 year.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:34 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

The price varies a great deal from dealer to dealer when it comes to maintenance work. When I was shopping for 4-yr/40k miles service (in my case, it included an oil change and replacement of plugs & ignition coils), I called 4 different Porsche dealers in my area and the quotes ranged from $2,050 to $1,180. They all quoted for the exactly same services.

If you have more than a single Porsche dealers in your area, I highly recommend you will call all of them for price quote.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:35 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Did It have its scheduled 8 year/40k miles Major Service?
Thats the bigger one... that happens every 4 years or 20k miles.

9 year shouldn’t be a major one... unless it skipped the second Major Service 8 year.
Yes it has had the 4yr/40k service in 2015 on schedule. Drive belt has never been changed according to my records and the PDK clutch oil was last done 6 years ago so that service is also due. Understand 9 years is not a major, just trying to accomplish what’s needed by schedule.

Had a CPO service last year.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:35 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Oops... after looking at the maintenance schedule... Drive Belt is 6yrs / 60k miles.

Looks like you are overdue for Drive Belt if it hasn’t been replaced yet.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:38 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by storii
The price varies a great deal from dealer to dealer when it comes to maintenance work. When I was shopping for 4-yr/40k miles service (in my case, it included an oil change and replacement of plugs & ignition coils), I called 4 different Porsche dealers in my area and the quotes ranged from $2,050 to $1,180. They all quoted for the exactly same services.

If you have more than a single Porsche dealers in your area, I highly recommend you will call all of them for price quote.
Thanks. Live in the Texas Hill Country and would prefer to associate with San Antonio, but it seems like a smaller dealer. Could call up to Austin I guess.

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:39 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Oops... after looking at the maintenance schedule... Drive Belt is 6yrs / 60k miles.

Looks like you are overdue for Drive Belt if it hasn’t been replaced yet.
Yeah, exactly. The records are 100% comprehensive and Porsche exclusive...plenty of “checks” but no documented replace.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:54 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Can’t be much help on cost comparison. My Major Service and Drive belt was replaced November of 2017 by the previous owner. Wouldn’t hurt to call the Austin dealer for comparison.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:10 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Interesting, I didn't realize the drive belt is something that needs to be changed based upon time vs mileage. I guess I'll need to schedule this eventually.

I would check to make sure the plugs were changed, that's definitely something that you want to stay on top of. I also had my coolant changed along with trans fluid and of course brake fluid every two years.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:53 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 447 Likes on 332 Posts

I have a 2009 Boxster PDK, first year 987.2, with added Sport/Sport+ w/ 32K I'm assuming your maintenance is the same. I started tracking, PCA HPDE, Oct 2017 at Summit Point, WV. Not sure how much of a DIY you are, but the PDK clutch fluid requires PIWIS (Porsche diagnostic tool). A good Indy will have one. Your last PDK clutch fluid change was early. The drive belt and clutch fluid are at 60K or 12 years. Spark plugs are every 40K or 4 years. My dealer said no more than 6 years on the plugs regardless of mileage. Apparently they can seize in the block. I know of NO scheduled replacement of coil packs. Changing the engine oil and filter should be an annual event based on your mileage. I changed to 5W-50 for the track since I go 5-6 times a year. Porsche recommends every 2 years on the brake fluid (hygroscopic). If you track the car you should switch to a racing brake fluid like ATP 2 with a higher boiling point. The strictest I know on changing brake fluid is Potomac PCA requires a 6 month change on racing brake fluids and 3 months on OEM. I have a Hawk DC 60 race pads and dedicated front rotors for the track. They really make dust and squeak on the street. I change back to steet pads if I do extended street driving between track days. OEM Porsche pads have a built in silencer that requires you to remove the calipers to change pads. Wheel wax is necessary followed by next day wash. I've been inspecting my serpentine drive belt which still looks brand new and carrying a spare. I will do a DIY replacement before my Mar track weekend along with the air filter. The cabin filter is another easy DIY. You have to the remove the carpet below the rear window and behind the seats then remove the engine access panel to replace the drive belt. The air filter is under the top access panel to the engine. There are several good YouTubes. If you decide to track your car with any regularity requiring you to remove the brake calipers invest in a set of Tarett caliper studs for at least the front. The brake calipers are held on with two long steel bolt into the aluminum steering knuckle My son and I stripped one and had to replace the knuckle. Used knuckles are not too expensive, but four wheel alignments are not cheap. If you have not suggest you join the Porsche PCA. At least take your car to one day track event to learn the capabilities of your car. No additional prep other than torquing lug nuts and tire pressure. I pay about $200 a week end for track insurance. Go to Motorsportreg.com to see almost all of the track events. SCCA and NASA are other good non-Porsche clubs.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:44 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Interesting, I didn't realize the drive belt is something that needs to be changed based upon time vs mileage. I guess I'll need to schedule this eventually.

I would check to make sure the plugs were changed, that's definitely something that you want to stay on top of. I also had my coolant changed along with trans fluid and of course brake fluid every two years.
Marine,

The original owner was quite meticulous, plugs have been changed with next interval next year.

Doesn’t seem to be a schedule for coolant, but it’s been flushed twice previously.

CPO last year got brake flush and oil.

Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:48 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Kite,

Thanks for the poop, not a diy’er anymore but good to know the technical reqs for the PDK.

No plans for tracking, have another car for that, but may be interesting to get some COTA laps in with the Spyder

Quick Reply: Service Estimate