Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member/New Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 02:56 AM
truebill
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member/New Car

I have just purchased a 2016 Black Edition Boxster with Sport Chrono and Sport suspension. I haven't even seen it yet, except in pictures. It's in Ohio; I'm in SoCal. More than I need, and I'm afraid the lowered clearance will mean I can't get in my driveway. Of course, if I were thinking practically, I never would have bought the car in the first place. I'm looking forward to seeing it and driving it. I had a 2004 Boxster years ago, but I've been driving a 2010 MX 5 and a 2017 Fiat Spider Abarth currently. I'll have to sell one of these now, but I haven't decided which one. They are both great.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:10 AM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome aboard, and congrats on your purchase. If your car came equipped with the "Sports Suspension" (aka "X73" option code) then it will have the lowest driveway clearance. These 2 threads may help you determine if you will have clearance issues too (though keep in mind that the GTS front lip may protrude even further out than your Black Edition's, in other words if you calculate that a GTS will clear your driveway then a Black Edition should theoretically clear too).

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...ts-owners.html

https://www.planet-9.com/981-chat/12...ts-owners.html

BTW, entering my driveway is no problem but I am not able to exit my driveway nose-first (I must reverse out, due to not enough clearance!). The only way I can exit my driveway nose-first is with the aid of some Race Ramps, but that's a PITA to deploy every time (and I don't mind backing out). Here are some pictures of my driveway apron in case it helps with your visualizations (wrong car, I know, but maybe the driveway profile is similar to yours).

Old 02-16-2019, 12:20 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Congrats!

Having driven the NC I think you’ll find the Porsche is an entirely different and far more exciting experience, which it should be considering the price differential. I’ve heard great things about the ND and Fiat although the styling of the Fiat hasn’t really done it for me. I would love to get your thoughts on the Fiat as compared to the incoming GTS.

Hopefully the driveway won’t be a huge issue and you can figure out how to get in and out without ramps.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:59 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Congrats on the Boxster Black! We can never have too many Boxsters here in So Cal

Once she arrives and as time permits, post up some pics.

Also, you may want to consider joining the PCA which has several different So Cal regions that can be found here:

https://www.pca.org/region-directory?field_zone_tid=457

Good luck on the difficult decision of which car to sell. Sounds like a Sophie's Choice situation. Never easy.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:14 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

My driveway is pretty unforgiving too; but coming in at an angle isn't a problem for my GTS with X73.

Interestingly enough, it IS a problem for my son's bone stock Mazda3, and my prior car, an M4 that was stock but had the M Performance front splitter. Again, the GTS has no problems.

As far as which car to sell, the Fiat will be quite redundant, don't you think?

I am literally having this conversation with my wife right now... about possibly replacing the Boxster with a 360 spider.

First world problems, man!
Old 02-17-2019, 03:39 AM
truebill
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks to all

Thanks to all. The Boxster will be delivered to my SoCal location (Ojai, for those in the know), and I will find out for better or worse whether it makes it. If it doesn't, and I don't think it will, I have two options. Either have the curb cut and flattened out (something on the order of $3000 I'm told) or take the Boxster to my other home in Portland, Oregon, which doesn't have the curb problem. Then I would have to decide whether to keep the NC MX 5 or the 2017 Fiast Abarth Spider as my SoCal car. [We do have a family SUV as our practical car that makes the trip between the two locations]. The MX 5 is 2010, but the Grand Touring model (retractable hard top) and only16K miles and in pretty mint condition with absolutely no mechanical problems since I bought it new. The Fiat, with its turbo charged engine and newer amenities, and still under warranty is the front runner to keep, but with Fiats (and this is my third) you never know when they are going to break down. I bought the Fiat to replace the MX 5, because I don't like the ND (latest) MX 5 styling, and I do like the Fiat's, but when I drover the MX 5 down to SoCal to sell it (leaving the Fiat in Portland), I liked it so much I decided to keep it. Until now. But as someone suggested, these choices are problems that only occur to people who don't have serious problems. It's good to keep perspective. So whatever, I will be a fortunate person.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:01 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

I also totally read in my mind "X5 M" instead of "MX 5". So when I suggested the Fiat was redundant, I was thinking that it was a comparison of a top tier sport SUV and another roadster, hence the redundant comment. Of course, now understanding that it's a choice between 2 other roadsters, I get it. And can offer no assistance without many more variables.

Also knowing there are two locations (14.5 hours apart!) is noteworthy.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy the Boxster!
Old 02-17-2019, 01:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

With these cars located in Ojai I think you should keep all of them and locate them all in SoCal. . I’ve driven many roads over the years and route 33 is at the very top of my list of favorites.

My first bit of advice with the GTS, get a radar detector sooner than later. The speed you’ll be able to carry through the corners will be significantly higher than your current NC and ND!

If you do have to sell I would likely let the NC go but that’s just me. When I drove it 9 years ago I didn’t get that same connection I did with the NA or the Spyder. It’s a fun car but it just felt a bit disconnected and heavier.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:47 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My driveway apron is at 9-11 degree pitch. I found that with both the 996 and the 981 Boxster S, I was able to front out no problem, but needed to back in at a slight angle, and never scuffed the front valence. Good luck with the car - sounds like a beauty.

Quick Reply: New Member/New Car