Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Me vs 981 Boxster Rear Trunk Liner

Old 02-15-2019, 08:16 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Me vs 981 Boxster Rear Trunk Liner

LMAO...so my first time digging into a 981 Boxster S today. I thought I'd check the two intake air filters in my wife's new-to-her-car. Fairly certain I provided a great deal of entertainment for my neighbor as I wrestled out the one-piece trunk liner out of the thing. Felt like I was wrestling a small bear. If you guys have a nifty trick on getting that sucker out, I'm all ears. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it went back in. Thank goodness.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:52 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You first need to remove the small two side panels, then pull out by grabbing the bottom edge the thick vertical pad that covers the air filters and ECU. Did you succeed in accessing the air filters? They can be tough to extract.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:43 PM
GT4John
Racer

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
You first need to remove the small two side panels, then pull out by grabbing the bottom edge the thick vertical pad that covers the air filters and ECU. Did you succeed in accessing the air filters? They can be tough to extract.
Huh...that's a little odd as the side panels on hers don't detach. There's nothing separate to remove.

The entire liner is one giant piece. There are two connecting points next to each tail light where you 'clip' the edges together...if that's what you mean. If so, then yes, I detached those two connections.

As far as the filters themselves, they came out fine. No problems there.

Thanks!

John
Old 02-16-2019, 02:27 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 520 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4John
LMAO...so my first time digging into a 981 Boxster S today. I thought I'd check the two intake air filters in my wife's new-to-her-car. .....
Smart guy GT4John!
Checking air filters and changing the engine oil on a "new to you" car is just best practice auto care.
I made an air filter removal tool using zip ties. It worked perfectly and skinned knuckles = zero.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:59 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

That’s interesting that the liner is all one piece. My 2014 has two ~triangular pieces, one behind each tail light. The long pad covering the front wall of the trunk is another piece, and the floor is just covered with carpet. I change my filters every year due to a dusty environment and just leave all the liner pieces off.

DOH! Now I see that your new car is a Boxster, not a Cayman like mine. Sorry for the confusion!
Old 02-16-2019, 02:51 PM
GT4John
Racer

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
Smart guy GT4John!
Checking air filters and changing the engine oil on a "new to you" car is just best practice auto care.
I made an air filter removal tool using zip ties. It worked perfectly and skinned knuckles = zero.
Hey that's MY idea!!! (zip ties). :-)

Yeah....$200 order with Pelican yesterday. Doing an oil change w/ new drain plug. Brake flush (currently does not have DOT 4 in it. Grrrrr.) K&N filters. New cabin filters (which are FILTHY!!! Never seen anything like it). New windshield (purchased by dealer). New drivers rear-view-mirror clip. And, of course, for Valentines Day, the Wife asked for set of key fob covers in Cognac to match her paint. LOL. Have to call Suncoast for that.

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
DOH! Now I see that your new car is a Boxster, not a Cayman like mine. Sorry for the confusion!
No problem. I was thinking...man...that sure sounds like tearing out the Cayman stuff.

Thanks guys!
John

Last edited by GT4John; 02-16-2019 at 02:52 PM. Reason: English is my thrid language
Old 02-16-2019, 05:36 PM
friendly
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 981 Engine air filters

WOW!
I am in the process of rejuvinating my new to me 2016 981 Base Boxster.
This has been so helpful.
Neat trick with the wire ties.
How many miles on your engine air filters? Why didn't you use the Original Equipment filter for the replacement?

My pre-pollen air filter looked like your engine air filter. Simple and cheap to replace mine however.
Too cold here to do the cabin air filter yet.
How did you know that the brake fluid was incorrect?
Thanks for posting this.
Fred
Old 02-16-2019, 07:52 PM
GT4John
Racer

Originally Posted by friendly
WOW!
I am in the process of rejuvinating my new to me 2016 981 Base Boxster.
This has been so helpful.
Neat trick with the wire ties.
How many miles on your engine air filters? Why didn't you use the Original Equipment filter for the replacement?

My pre-pollen air filter looked like your engine air filter. Simple and cheap to replace mine however.
Too cold here to do the cabin air filter yet.
How did you know that the brake fluid was incorrect?
Thanks for posting this.
Fred
-The car has 27K miles on it and so-so service records, so my guess is they are original. Although, I have to say, they look better than I expected. But I don't think car car saw much to any rain, so maybe that helps.
-I put K&N filters in my GT4 and have enjoyed an audible improvement. They are also pretty reasonable, price wise.
-My brake fluid tester only works with DOT4 brake fluid. It won't give a reading on any other type. So...since I don't get a reading, I know it's not DOT4. (It works fine on my GT4...so I know the tester actually works)

Cheers!
John

Old 02-17-2019, 12:37 PM
Voyager6
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When I removed the liner from my 14 Boxster I couldn't get the wires to the trunk light loose, so I carefully fed the whole light assembly through the hole in the lining. I missed the trunk release wire altogether and it pulled off when pulling the liner out of the trunk. Fortunately, I did not hurt anything.

V6
Old 02-18-2019, 01:42 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GT4John
Hey that's MY idea!!! (zip ties). :-)

John
Yup, great minds....
;-)

Old 02-21-2019, 11:15 PM
friendly
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wire Tie Air Filter change

A taste of summer in RI today..
Used the wire ties to change engine air filters. Easy Peasy! Engine oil was seen to be bright and clear. Lots of pine needles in this CPO's unseen past! Gone now.
Coolant change on an upcoming Spring day.
Now I will know where I stand with the maintenance schedule for this car.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:39 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by friendly
A taste of summer in RI today..
Used the wire ties to change engine air filters. Easy Peasy! ....
Ah, so the Yankees call them wire ties huh? ;-)
Back when I was a Yankee, there was many a fine vacation that we spent at Misquamicut.
Hope your car treats you well .... and you track the daylights out of it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Me vs 981 Boxster Rear Trunk Liner