Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil Replacement to Updated Coils

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 05:16 PM
Phil McKrevice
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Replacement to Updated Coils

When I was changing my oil, I noticed I had a coil with a crack in it. No misfires or anything. So I bought a new updated one and it came with different longer bolts. However after I pulled the old one out, I discovered that I didn't have the necessary socket to install the new coil bolts. I just discovered that they are called reverse torx. I called Porsche and they could not give me a size of socket I need, only the name of the socket I need.

Can someone please let me know the size of socket I need to install the new coil bolts?

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:55 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

I think they're called external Torx or E-Torx sockets. You should be able to pick up a set from a parts store for around $20.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:09 PM
Phil McKrevice
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at this set. Was looking for the exact size socket so I buy the right stuff.

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-14-2019, 09:29 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Yeah... I ended having to run out to the local Harbor Freight for a set of Torx sockets and a set of E-sockets. If I remember, they were Torx 30 and E 10, but I really can't be sure, sorry. I just bought a $10 set of each and made sure I could get the old ones out and the new ones in.

The swivel extended spark plug wrench is a MUST if you're gonna do plugs (see other threads). That and a healthy assortment of extensions (I think I used a unique combo for each one) is your friend. Youtube videos are helpful on that whole thing.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Coil Replacement to Updated Coils