Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Servicing question and Sun Visor Repair question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 06:45 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Servicing question and Sun Visor Repair question

Couple questions here:
So with my wife's new-to-her '14 Boxster S, I plan on doing the following since there is very little detail from prior services, other than "The car was serviced".
- Oil change. Probably add the magnetic drain plug.
- Air filters replaced
- Brake bleed
- Check brake pads and replace if needed.
- Cabin Filters - Air intake and Blower

Anything else? The car is at 27,000 miles.

Second question:
On her sun visor on the driver's side, the part you snap the visor in to keep it in place (near the rear view mirror) is broken. I've spoken with Pelican and Suncoast and there is a replacement part, but nothing describing how to remove the existing piece. I've squinted and poked at it and haven't really come up with anything. Any of you guys ever replace that? Both Pelican and Suncoast didn't have any kind of documentation other than Suncoast said there was a single screw...but I'm not seeing any visible screws.

Many thanks!!
John
Old 02-11-2019, 08:33 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

At 5 years old you might also want to get the plugs done, they will be due soon enough and since the car will be up for the oil change you can do them at the same time while the oil drains.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:29 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
At 5 years old you might also want to get the plugs done, they will be due soon enough and since the car will be up for the oil change you can do them at the same time while the oil drains.
Ah...yeah. What about the coils? You think they are good? I don't know their lifespan. Thanks!
Old 02-11-2019, 09:44 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4John
Ah...yeah. What about the coils? You think they are good? I don't know their lifespan. Thanks!
Coils should be fine for another 30k miles but it wouldn’t hurt to inspect them to see how they’re aging.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:52 AM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4John

Second question:
On her sun visor on the driver's side, the part you snap the visor in to keep it in place (near the rear view mirror) is broken. I've spoken with Pelican and Suncoast and there is a replacement part, but nothing describing how to remove the existing piece. I've squinted and poked at it and haven't really come up with anything. Any of you guys ever replace that? Both Pelican and Suncoast didn't have any kind of documentation other than Suncoast said there was a single screw...but I'm not seeing any visible screws.

Many thanks!!
John
Yeah, I didn't realize that sun visor on a Boxster won't "articulate" to move over to cover side window either -- i.e. the visor medial attachment point is fixed. Previous owner didn't realize it either and visor was detached when I got the car.

The screw you need to loosen to re-attach visor isn't visible because it's located under a cover on the attachement point. Use a trim removal tool or (what I used) an old spatula from chemistry lab (very thin metal) to pry the cover loose and you'll find the screw. Torx I believe but it's been a while since I've been up there.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Servicing question and Sun Visor Repair question