Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just the leather cowl cover or the whole enchilada?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 08:56 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Just the leather cowl cover or the whole enchilada?

I'm partial to leather dash but could not find a car with one when I was looking for a 981 S. I settled with a CPO car without all the options I had wanted and have been adding some after the fact. So far, I have added the PSE and the 911 Turbo wheels along with a few other minor items. I know it is more money doing in this way but I'm okay with it. I started looking into the OEM leather dash and the best price I could find was $600 for the leather cowl cover and $2,300 for the leather dash. I know I could save about $1,100 by going aftermarket but figured I could probably sell the original cowl cover and dash for a few bucks to make the difference smaller. I'd prefer to stay OEM unless it is either ridiculously more expensive or requires a lot more efforts.

I am on the fence either I will do the whole leather dash spending $3,000 in parts alone or just do the cowl cover for $600 which I can probably DIY. I'm not sure if the leather cowl cover alone will satisfy my want for the leather interior. My car has a black interior that came with leather seats, leather door arm rests and leather console lid. I think the leather parts blend in with the plastic parts just fine but am not so sure about the dash because it will be right in front of me at all times.

Does anyone have a leather cowl cover with the plastic dash? If so, how does it look to you? Are you happy with it or you wish you went for the whole leather dash? Any opinions are welcome and appreciated.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:56 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

I vote for the whole enchilada. It sounds like you're a man who knows exactly what you want -- an OEM leather dash + cowl -- and I sense you won't be fully happy with anything less.

I agree that OEM is the way to go, despite the cost. My advice: bite the bullet, save up and get exactly what you want. You've got a great car that you love so don't cut corners. As you say, the dash is a high visibility item in the interior. We look at it all the time. It will bring a smile to your face to see that broad expanse of leather each time you glance at it. Just breath in all that leather goodness. Can you smell it?

Life is short. Don't deprive yourself.

Good luck with the decision.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (04-15-2021)
Old 02-09-2019, 10:33 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Thanks SJ! Guess I just needed a little push on the shoulder considering it's a lot of money for a minor aesthetic upgrade. But you are right, I don't think I will be happy with anything less. I can almost smell the leather.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:08 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Too bad you have a 981, or I'd be willing to work out a deal and trade. I hate the leather dash... It's just unnecessary weight.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:19 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by storii
Thanks SJ! Guess I just needed a little push on the shoulder considering it's a lot of money for a minor aesthetic upgrade. But you are right, I don't think I will be happy with anything less. I can almost smell the leather.
I agree, if you’re going to do it you might as well do it right. If you intend to keep the car for a while I would also agree with going OE. If you think it’s a shorter term purchase the aftermarket companies are actually pretty good and certainly an option.

Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereT
Too bad you have a 981, or I'd be willing to work out a deal and trade. I hate the leather dash... It's just unnecessary weight.
There is a 981 owner that switched from the standard interior to the leather interior and noted the leather pieces weighed in less than the rubber. It’s likely to do with he weight of the leather vs rubber coating. So technically if you have it you have the lighter option. Having said that I imagine many would love to buy your full leather if you don’t care for it and you can use that extra towards other mods.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:24 AM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I say go for the whole enchilada if you can swing it and are going to keep your car for a long time. Who would
​ you have do the work, your local dealer? Love to see before and after pix if you go for it.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:16 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
There is a 981 owner that switched from the standard interior to the leather interior and noted the leather pieces weighed in less than the rubber. It’s likely to do with he weight of the leather vs rubber coating. So technically if you have it you have the lighter option. Having said that I imagine many would love to buy your full leather if you don’t care for it and you can use that extra towards other mods.
Now that is interesting! I was under the impression the rubber was a few pounds less.

I guess I will keep mine now.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:46 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereT
Ha ha, but I can relate. I autocrossed at the national level for over a dozen years and saving weight was one of, if not the, most important agendas. As a matter of fact, I managed to shave over 500 lbs in my Street Prepared Miata and it weighed a tad less than 2,000 lbs in its final form. Now that I'm all retired from any form of motor sports, I am not paying as much attention to the weights.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:52 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by meteor10
I say go for the whole enchilada if you can swing it and are going to keep your car for a long time. Who would you have do the work, your local dealer? Love to see before and after pix if you go for it.
I will make it my birthday present. I am thinking about having a dealer to do the work because I do not want to end up with a rattling dash. The car is still on the CPO warranty for another 1.5 years. It is my understanding that it will be covered by the warranty if I use OEM parts and let the dealer do the work. I'll definitely take the before and after pics.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:57 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I agree, if you’re going to do it you might as well do it right. If you intend to keep the car for a while I would also agree with going OE. If you think it’s a shorter term purchase the aftermarket companies are actually pretty good and certainly an option.
I think I will keep this car for a long while unless a 991.1 S or GTS in PTS Meissen Blue with all the right options and very low miles magically shows up in my near future....
Old 02-11-2019, 06:33 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

The dealer who was the cheapest when I did the 4-yr/40k service got back to me with a quote: 7 to 8 hours @$159.88/hr = $1,119.16 - 1,279.04 minus 10% PCA discount plus tax. Ouch! I'll have to call all the dealers in my area.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:19 PM
CornerOffice
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Techart. Send the parts to Germany and voila - you have a personalized interior...and less cash in your wallet.

https://www.techart.de/en/models/box...chart-for-981/

Back to reality (for most of us) I wouldn’t do just the cowl. I don’t know for sure but I would think it might look out of place.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:27 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should consider that the doors won’t match... but love the leather dash.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:40 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
You should consider that the doors won’t match... but love the leather dash.
You know, somehow I don't mind the doors. That's probably because I don't look at them much.

Originally Posted by CornerOffice
Back to reality (for most of us) I wouldn’t do just the cowl. I don’t know for sure but I would think it might look out of place.
I think you are right. I'm going for the whole enchilada. Call me crazy but it looks like I'll be spending $4k just to get a leather dash in my car.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:14 PM
CornerOffice
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by storii
I think you are right. I'm going for the whole enchilada. Call me crazy but it looks like I'll be spending $4k just to get a leather dash in my car.
Meh, go for it. Cheaper than buying a different car. I dropped more than that on X73 and FVD exhaust and you can’t see either of them. (But you can feel them/hear them.)

Quick Reply: Just the leather cowl cover or the whole enchilada?