Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling my M2 to get a Cayman - which one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 07:17 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

I went from an e92 335i to a 987.2 Cayman S and have never looked back!
Old 02-06-2019, 07:25 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
981 Cayman GTS with X71 is sorely underrated. Just a great all around car, and sweeter on the street than the GT4 imo.

987 Cayman R plus suspension and a 3.8 or even 4.2 engine upgrade...very appealing. There are probably ways to do one even in CA that will pass the sniffer and visual tests, whether or not you have to change the cats back and forth—but there are others better equipped to answer that question.
How much slower is a GTS-X71 setup vs. a GT4? I see X71-S cars in the high 30's these days. The GTS has a little more power; the S can have 365hp with a few grand in mods.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:27 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Of the Cayman's I've owned; 987 base manual, 981 S pdk, 981 GTS pdk, GT4 - I agree with you Pete, the 981 GTS with X73 was my favorite driver.

I would recommend for less money that a 987 R, and less money than a GTS,

2014 - 2018 981 S ($47k ish) non-pasm car
with the following mods:
Fast tires,
X73 suspension swap,
And, a Cobb Tune with an upgraded exhaust of your choice.
PDK prefered for performance, 6 speed for fun.

The tune and exhaust will help with the lower torque of the Cayman.
Yet, you have a GT4 in your Avatar!

Care to compare them in more detail?

Old 02-07-2019, 08:32 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
How much slower is a GTS-X71 setup vs. a GT4? I see X71-S cars in the high 30's these days. The GTS has a little more power; the S can have 365hp with a few grand in mods.
You're seeing 981 S in the high 30s? A lot of car if so…especially as the X73 kit can be purchased for $1500~ and you then start fresh on those components. It's a very good setup.

GT4 definitely faster, and going to be faster over a session. No question. How much on track, particularly after adding tires to the S or GTS, others will be better able to speak to. Over the road pace between 981 GTS X73 6MT and 981 GT4 6MT isn't huge—but "over the road pace" is a big sandwich.

If $ not an object, the GT4 is an awfully good turn-key track day car. If they are, or you are worried about strut towers, the 987.2 Cayman S/R is a very appealing option in my view. For track days, I would go PDK. For primarily street, 6MT every time.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:14 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

You're seeing 981 S in the high 30s? A lot of car if so…especially as the X73 kit can be purchased for $1500~ and you then start fresh on those components. It's a very good setup.

GT4 definitely faster, and going to be faster over a session. No question. How much on track, particularly after adding tires to the S or GTS, others will be better able to speak to. Over the road pace between 981 GTS X73 6MT and 981 GT4 6MT isn't huge—but "over the road pace" is a big sandwich.

If $ not an object, the GT4 is an awfully good turn-key track day car. If they are, or you are worried about strut towers, the 987.2 Cayman S/R is a very appealing option in my view. For track days, I would go PDK. For primarily street, 6MT every time.
Mostly higher mile 2014s. There are a few in the high 30's. The X73 setup is actually quite common on these cars!
Old 02-08-2019, 02:28 PM
UltraMagneticAL
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've been lurking on autotrader and it seems there aren't many 987.2 S available in 6MT. i will be using the car both on and off the track. probably 10-15 sessions in a year. i have seen high 30k for the 981S in 6MT, so that looks enticing too. I like the idea of 987.2 R, but seems too much to pay for a 7 year old car that's not too much better than a 981S. a GT4 may eventually find its way into my garage once i feel like the S isn't enough car and i get better and driving.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:51 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
It all comes down to driver skill. My PASM equipped 981 GTS with me at the wheel is several seconds a lap faster than another guy who brings out his 981 GT4. I'm also a few seconds faster than a couple friends with F80 M3 Competitions on r-comps. Put me in the GT4 and yeah it's a faster car. Put a pro driver in the car and it's faster still. But at a HPDE it's all relative and there are no trophies. It's probably better to compare the driving experience than lap times. The experience in a mid-engine "momentum car" is awesome. I'm 10mph slower down the main 1/4 mile straight than a C5 Z06, but turn equal or faster lap times over a 2 mile, 12 turn circuit.

OP, a square-edge impact to a 981 may have strut tower implications, but thus far I've not had any issues in my car with just general rough road impacts or landing after being airborne. In the summer it is occasionally driven to work on craptastic metro Detroit bombed out roads. I do my best to avoid the holes, but even smacking one on the OE 20" wheel didn't hurt the tire, wheel, suspension, or body. Getting airborne and landing twice per lap at my preferred track hasn't done anything noticeable to the car. The occasional curb smack isn't an issue. But I will say that I am yet to have a major square-edged impact like going too far over a curb and dropping into a hole in the dirt to then slam the back side of the curbing.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:05 PM
UltraMagneticAL
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scooby921
It all comes down to driver skill. My PASM equipped 981 GTS with me at the wheel is several seconds a lap faster than another guy who brings out his 981 GT4. I'm also a few seconds faster than a couple friends with F80 M3 Competitions on r-comps. Put me in the GT4 and yeah it's a faster car. Put a pro driver in the car and it's faster still. But at a HPDE it's all relative and there are no trophies. It's probably better to compare the driving experience than lap times. The experience in a mid-engine "momentum car" is awesome. I'm 10mph slower down the main 1/4 mile straight than a C5 Z06, but turn equal or faster lap times over a 2 mile, 12 turn circuit.
^THIS! i'm faster than some 911 drivers in my M2. 'm not *that* good, and i want to get better. i don't necessarily want to be the fastest, but if i'm always dropping lap times, it'll make me happy.

OP, a square-edge impact to a 981 may have strut tower implications, but thus far I've not had any issues in my car with just general rough road impacts or landing after being airborne. In the summer it is occasionally driven to work on craptastic metro Detroit bombed out roads. I do my best to avoid the holes, but even smacking one on the OE 20" wheel didn't hurt the tire, wheel, suspension, or body. Getting airborne and landing twice per lap at my preferred track hasn't done anything noticeable to the car. The occasional curb smack isn't an issue. But I will say that I am yet to have a major square-edged impact like going too far over a curb and dropping into a hole in the dirt to then slam the back side of the curbing.
hmm. seems like the availability of 6MT 981's might make for an easier purchase. thanks for easing my doubts about the stoutness of the body.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:08 PM
PhillyNate
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

I also went from an E92 M3 ZCP to 987.2. I looked back a little Lol but not lately. It’s been almost 5 years since and I am way more attached to this car now than I’d been to the M3. Took awhile to get it because the S65 motor in that car is a masterpiece. Good luck in your search because 987.2’s are becoming unicorns.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:21 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

981 Cayman GTS with X71 is sorely underrated. Just a great all around car, and sweeter on the street than the GT4 imo.

987 Cayman R plus suspension and a 3.8 or even 4.2 engine upgrade...very appealing. There are probably ways to do one even in CA that will pass the sniffer and visual tests, whether or not you have to change the cats back and forth—but there are others better equipped to answer that question.
Definitely agree with above.

Though I am incredibly biased.

Quick Reply: Selling my M2 to get a Cayman - which one?