Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Cayman Button Questions

Old 02-23-2019, 07:05 PM
oofie810
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby921
Having Sport+ in a manual trans car does enable the auto rev-match when downshifting. It also firms up the magneto-rheological fluid in the engine mounts. Both are pretty useless on the street. So yeah...aside from Sport Chrono guaranteeing that you get the sport exhaust there isn't a lot in it for additional street enjoyment on a manual trans car. Would never trade my manual for a PDK though.
Is this correct? Sport Chrono will give you PSE as well? I thought PSE was a separate option.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:04 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

They are def separate options, pretty sure SC does not always mean you have PSE.

they are, however, frequently spec'd together.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:16 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

PSE is not included with SC. Also the rev matching and dynamic trans mounts only apply to 981 cars. Not 987.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:35 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

My 2014 Cayman 6mt that has folding mirrors but no other options has a Sport mode button. The button affects throttle sensitivity and cooling efficiency.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:33 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

And auto rev matching did not appear until the 2014 models
Old 05-17-2021, 03:44 PM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Way old thread...

Noob to Porsches, well sorta...
I just picked up a 2014 Cayman S and per the OP’s question, the auto start/stop (“A” with a circle). Does that mean the engine stops while at a traffic light for example or when stopped?
If so, this car never does that regardless of drive mode. It has PDK and SportChrono, if that makes a difference.
I’m half wondering if it could possibly have a tune installed!?!
Doubtful being it was a lease vehicle... according to the CarFax at least. Weird to me someone would lease a car with the options it has but lucky me I guess.
Thoughts?

I’m Derek BTW so hello all.

I’ve previously been on Pelican under 78scrsman. I started a long thread there called: “protect 911r something”, in the paint and bodywork section.
I no longer own the car but it was a fun project.

Cheers

Last edited by NoSubstitute981; 05-17-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:44 PM
ICNU
Pro

Received 400 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by NoSubstitute981
Noob to Porsches, well sorta...
I just picked up a 2014 Cayman S and per the OP’s question, the auto start/stop (“A” with a circle). Does that mean the engine stops while at a traffic light for example or when stopped?
If so, this car never does that regardless of drive mode. It has PDK and SportChrono, if that makes a difference.
I’m half wondering if it could possibly have a tune installed!?!
Doubtful being it was a lease vehicle... according to the CarFax at least. Weird to me someone would lease a car with the options it has but lucky me I guess.
Thoughts?

I’m Derek BTW so hello all.

I’ve previously been on Pelican under 78scrsman. I started a long thread there called: “protect 911r something”, in the paint and bodywork section.
I no longer own the car but it was a fun project.

Cheers
Hi and welcome! Yes, that icon is for the auto stop/start which most despise. A little counter intuitive, but that is the "off" button so its lit up when off, not on. If a US car it will stay off forever if disabled for a 2014, but the same car in Euro config has to be disabled at ever new start. Just because its on does not mean it will always work. There is a big list of prerequisites listed in the manual that must be met or it won't work including running the AC, state of battery charge and many others.

One of the biggest tells that your car's battery is starting to show its age is the Auto SS will just stop working, so check to see if the original 70Ah AGM battery is still in the car, as the 2014 models were built in 2013 and 8 years on the battery might get you into trouble sooner than later considering the battery is in the frunk with an electric lock so it can be a pain in the butt to access the battery once its too late. There is a whole sticky thread at the top of the forum dealing with those issues

Don't hold me to this part 100% as its been awhile since reading the manual for my 2014 car, but I seem to recall that it will also not operate when using Sports + mode which is mores designed for performance driving or track use, but I may be mistaken on that one so verify. I shut mine off the day I bought it and it hasn't been back in since

Last edited by ICNU; 05-17-2021 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 06:20 PM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

Originally Posted by ICNU
Hi and welcome! Yes, that icon is for the auto stop/start which most despise. A little counter intuitive, but that is the "off" button so its lit up when off, not on. If a US car it will stay off forever if disabled for a 2014, but the same car in Euro config has to be disabled at ever new start. Just because its on does not mean it will always work. There is a big list of prerequisites listed in the manual that must be met or it won't work including running the AC, state of battery charge and many others.

One of the biggest tells that your car's battery is starting to show its age is the Auto SS will just stop working, so check to see if the original 70Ah AGM battery is still in the car, as the 2014 models were built in 2013 and 8 years on the battery might get you into trouble sooner than later considering the battery is in the frunk with an electric lock so it can be a pain in the butt to access the battery once its too late. There is a whole sticky thread at the top of the forum dealing with those issues

Don't hold me to this part 100% as its been awhile since reading the manual for my 2014 car, but I seem to recall that it will also not operate when using Sports + mode which is mores designed for performance driving or track use, but I may be mistaken on that one so verify. I shut mine off the day I bought it and it hasn't been back in since

Thanks for the reply Mr.

So that feature (rudeness) is disablable? (Might not be a word) I kinda figured the battery might be at risk due to the low miles and age so I’ll check that. Crap! I didn’t even know where the battery was/is, lol. I’ve got new air filters coming so I’ll do both at the same time. I should probably read the manual...

Yes, the light comes on when in sport or + mode. I haven’t messed with plus mode much. It wants to hold higher revs which is fine but not for street driving really.
The car rips just fine in sport mode with manual shifting engaged. I’ll take it out soon and try sport + just to explore it’s behavior.

Okay, so thanks again for the reply!

Derek
Old 05-17-2021, 07:40 PM
ICNU
Pro

Received 400 Likes on 243 Posts

Yes, Sport + will need to be shifted manually on the street as its a track mode and wont shift in auto mode until nearly redline. Myself and many others manually shift in every mode all the time or drive in Sport + all the time. I dont think Ive driven mine more than 10 miles total in auto or normal mode since 2013 when I brought it home. Auto mode shifts for fuel economy and will have you in 5th gear in parking garage. I want to be in control of the shift points to hear that classic Porsche flat 6 wail at 5K or higher on each shift!

Last edited by ICNU; 05-17-2021 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:56 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 377 Posts

If you're shopping a 981 Cayman or Boxster, I believe it is mandatory to get one with all the performance-related options: PSE (sport exhaust), PASM (active suspension management) or X73 Sport Suspension, and Sport Chrono, and sport seats. It's a sports car! If you can find all these options in an S, go for it. You will have better luck finding a GTS with these options, but they are more expensive and currently, not as readily available as an S. It's easy to change wheels, exhaust (headers and muffler), suspension, and add a software tune to bump the HP, but your car will not be as desirable or hold as much resell value the more you modify the car. Depending on what you value, you can decide if an S is sufficient or if you want to go full hog with a GTS. Good luck with your search!
Old 05-18-2021, 01:41 PM
NoSubstitute981
Instructor

Again, thank you...

I went and had the battery tested (it was the original) and it wasn’t bad but way diminished from new specs. Only putting out 500CCR amps.
The replacement is much longer than the original. Porsche must put the bare minimum in. The tray has 3 different positions for differing lengths. I’m at the max now so probably gained a few lb’s. Oh well, at least they put it in a good location weight wise.

I gotta say, I love this car... In the words of Ferris Bueller... it’s so choice! I thought our RedSport 400 was fun. Ha!

Derek
The following users liked this post:
ICNU (05-18-2021)
Old 05-18-2021, 09:00 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 445 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by NoSubstitute981
Again, thank you...

I went and had the battery tested (it was the original) and it wasn’t bad but way diminished from new specs. Only putting out 500CCR amps.
The replacement is much longer than the original. Porsche must put the bare minimum in. The tray has 3 different positions for differing lengths. I’m at the max now so probably gained a few lb’s. Oh well, at least they put it in a good location weight wise.

I gotta say, I love this car... In the words of Ferris Bueller... it’s so choice! I thought our RedSport 400 was fun. Ha!

Derek
Invest in a CTEK battery maintainer or equivalent. Even if you drive year round.
The following users liked this post:
tomhartzell (05-19-2021)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 981 Cayman Button Questions