Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Boxster GTS Speakers in rear panel behind seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 04:20 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts
Default 981 Boxster GTS Speakers in rear panel behind seats

Is this a cheap and easy install to buy and connect to OEM audio ?
Old 02-04-2019, 06:55 PM
Voyager6
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Richard, can't fully answer that without knowing what audio system you have. Every different version has different wiring associated with it. Different versions have different amplifier and each version has different connectors on the speakers. Easiest thing is to find speakers to mount in those locations. On a Boxster, if the rear speakers are not there by the factory, then you have to run wires to the amplifier to the speaker locationsas they will not be there too.

Sound System Plus vs Bose vs Burmester are all different connectors on the speakers and amplifiers. They all have different amplifiers under the passenger seat. On a Boxster, if the rear speakers are not there by the factory, then you have to run wires to the amplifier to the speaker locations.

Final problem is that the CDR or PCM radio has to be programmed to allow fading front to rear, unless you want to add a fader in parallel to the door speakers.

On my Boxster, I have the Sound Package plus, which is missing the rear speakers. The Amplifier did not support the two extra channels. Since my car was flooded, I replaced the amplifier with the equivalent used ebay Cayman amplifier and it supports the two rear speakers. But my PCM radio does not support fading front to rear, so I left the extra channels unwired. Even though the Boxster and Cayman amplifiers look the same, I had to cut some plastic bosses off the Cayman smplifier's connector housing to allow the Boxster connector to seat.

V6
Old 02-06-2019, 05:34 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

thks, I wont be going there then
Old 01-05-2021, 01:07 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

anyone else tried this since pls, guess i have the sound package too ?
Old 04-21-2021, 08:08 PM
xcidmigs
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Voyager6
Richard, can't fully answer that without knowing what audio system you have. Every different version has different wiring associated with it. Different versions have different amplifier and each version has different connectors on the speakers. Easiest thing is to find speakers to mount in those locations. On a Boxster, if the rear speakers are not there by the factory, then you have to run wires to the amplifier to the speaker locationsas they will not be there too.

Sound System Plus vs Bose vs Burmester are all different connectors on the speakers and amplifiers. They all have different amplifiers under the passenger seat. On a Boxster, if the rear speakers are not there by the factory, then you have to run wires to the amplifier to the speaker locations.

Final problem is that the CDR or PCM radio has to be programmed to allow fading front to rear, unless you want to add a fader in parallel to the door speakers.

On my Boxster, I have the Sound Package plus, which is missing the rear speakers. The Amplifier did not support the two extra channels. Since my car was flooded, I replaced the amplifier with the equivalent used ebay Cayman amplifier and it supports the two rear speakers. But my PCM radio does not support fading front to rear, so I left the extra channels unwired. Even though the Boxster and Cayman amplifiers look the same, I had to cut some plastic bosses off the Cayman smplifier's connector housing to allow the Boxster connector to seat.

V6
I have just confirmed this myself, wish I read this a month ago, bought and installed 2 sets of rear speakers, wired down into under seat area and found correct connectors to insert into factory ASK amp plug, and viola.....SILENCE... my amp must be original does nothing...

Do you have the Cayman amp part # and would this then work with an aftermarket headunit to fade correctly? or still needs some type of programming?
Old 04-23-2021, 08:13 AM
FlyingRobot
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got the Bose system in my car ('13 Boxster S), and honestly, I'm not sure the rear speakers add much value at all. They're basically completely blocked by the seat. Maybe you get a little additional bass or feel, but I doubt it's substantial.

Personally, I wouldn't bother jumping through any hoops to try to install just the rear speakers. Maybe seek out a shop and do a full custom audio solution if you want to improve the experience.

Quick Reply: 981 Boxster GTS Speakers in rear panel behind seats