Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From 981 CS to Base 987.2, The Story Continues

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 09:11 PM
WalterMitty
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your 2016 Blue CS was stunning. I'm shopping for a Boxster now, but I think the Cayman is one of THE best looking cars on the road right now....at any price. If I wasn't so addicted to the open air experience, I would get a Cayman in a heart beat.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:28 PM
Vegas987
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

What a great story so far. One that is far from over, too. Big Mouth Strikes Again says it all! Great tune for a road trip.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:37 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Now that the introduction is over, let's get to it.

I was told the bumper holes were "already there" but the line item on the invoice indicating 4 screws makes me wanna throw the flag.

Name:  KUm6nbAh.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  79.9 KB

Even though there are some rock chips on the bumper cover, it's nowhere near bad enough to make me want to fill in the holes and respray it, especially since this is my daily so I ordered plugs.

Name:  xJsJDhTh.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  131.2 KB

Drilled out the holes to 9/32nd...

Name:  7Wk3nVYh.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  157.6 KB

...and there ya go.

Name:  Np7yslSh.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  208.3 KB

Next item was the clutch and how stiff it is. A friend told me how his buddy's 986 clutch spring broke and it became really tight, so I got in everyone's favorite awkward position to look up and nope, no issues with the spring (wrapped around a white piece). Doing more research revealed this is just how it is, unless the clutch is near the end (unlikely at only 7k miles old). Of course as I type all this, I'm totally used to it now.

Name:  1fGPL5Th.jpg
Size:  108.3 KB

Then I decided to change out the air filters and replace the serpentine belt since it wasn't documented anywhere.

Carpet removed.

Name:  b4ja0ojh.jpg
Size:  96.3 KB

Engine cover gone. 'tis dusty but I'm gonna hold off on cleaning the bay for now.

Name:  UkBUe7Hh.jpg
Size:  124.7 KB

OK fine I did clean the air filter cover.

Name:  pj5eVldh.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  118.6 KB

Name:  2X9hAo2h.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  192.4 KB

Getting the new filter to seat on the flange was tricky, until it wasn't.

Name:  T9JbpCdh.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  115.1 KB

Now to the frunk and the cabin air filter.

Name:  YfV1LYJh.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  150.5 KB

Name:  EqZsPDUh.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  150.5 KB

While there, I used a coax cable to clear out the drain holes.

Name:  bhbIyEvh.jpg
Size:  133.9 KB

Now shifting gears to the belt. Aluminum handle bar removed (2 T45 screws).

Name:  crP5XJnh.jpg
Size:  123.8 KB

Then one T20 screw for the plastic cover, which then snaps off.

Name:  xkUhi9Dh.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  141.3 KB

Carpet removed revealing the other engine cover.

Name:  QWNBbYEh.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  163.1 KB

Of course they're 10mm bolts.

Name:  9KSUJVIh.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  118.1 KB

Access is...tight.

Name:  yju0J4ph.jpg
Size:  227.1 KB

However, either the belt is super resilient or it's already been replaced once, and fairly recently too. Just look at it.

Name:  xoWqWVch.jpg
Size:  163.7 KB

Name:  uMsqsath.jpg
Size:  120.5 KB

So it looks like I'll be returning the belt I got but while I was in there, I pulled on the tensioner to see how it feels. Felt good, man.

Name:  YMAks1Eh.jpg
Size:  160.1 KB

Inspected the power steering fluid. Hard to see but it looked tired and didn't smell very sweet. I'll have to look into it but guessing sucking out the old fluid is my best option. I did see a little seepage at the PS pump connection but I don't know yet how easily addressing that is going to be.

Name:  3A6eBLih.jpg
Size:  147.2 KB

Applied a little silicone to the rubber gasket on the engine cover to keep it fresh.

Name:  beC6hymh.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  122.0 KB

Not sure how this cap got lost, but it's back now.

Name:  oDK5SzMh.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  111.9 KB

Last week I got the "refill washer fluid" message and without paying attention to its capacity, I added a mixture comprised of distilled water and the concentrated Porsche washer fluid that I kept. I stopped when it started to overflow from the filler neck and some poured through the fender liner down to the ground. Whoops. But then I noticed puddles for the next 2 days underneath where the reservoir sits and remembered that I accidentally bottomed out on a dip when going a bit too fast on an unfamiliar street. So I thought maybe I had cracked the reservoir or jarred something loose.

Took off the wheel and fender liner for an inspection.

Name:  QHZrAd3h.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  122.0 KB

Bump stop's tired of bumpin'.

Name:  06lAjNCh.jpg
Size:  129.6 KB

Here's the reservoir. Everything looked fine, there's still fluid in there and I didn't see any leaks from the pump gasket.

Name:  KA8VMAKh.jpg
Size:  108.6 KB

Then I noticed this overflow hose at the top, which is below the level of the filler neck, so driving around must've caused all the excess to overflow. I guess I'll find out. Capacity is only 0.66 gal/2.5 liters as you're probably aware.

Name:  33OLDnIh.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  100.2 KB

Also realized the filler hose comes out which makes positioning the reservoir a lot easier. Nice.

Name:  kzmvRtUh.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  139.3 KB

Next up is the water pump & probably the Numeric Racing shifter cables. Mine shifter is pretty loose and I'd rather not get stranded anywhere.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:29 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Nice work, looks like she’s getting the love she deserves.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:34 AM
Vegas987
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work on checking all those wearable items on the car. It's disturbing that a dealer sold you the car without at least changing the engine and cabin air filters. Such inexpensive items they should have addressed predelivery of the car. You should add changing the engine oil to your checklist asap. Even if they told you they changed it, you'd sleep better knowing you've filled the engine with a proper grade oil. On the lighter side of things, when i took delivery of my 987.1 I found the same cover missing off one of my wiper arms. Funny factoid: I used a spare wiper arm nut cover from one of my GTI's that was an exact match/fit.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:27 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Nice work, looks like she’s getting the love she deserves.
Plenty to go around!

Originally Posted by Vegas987
Nice work on checking all those wearable items on the car. It's disturbing that a dealer sold you the car without at least changing the engine and cabin air filters. Such inexpensive items they should have addressed predelivery of the car. You should add changing the engine oil to your checklist asap. Even if they told you they changed it, you'd sleep better knowing you've filled the engine with a proper grade oil. On the lighter side of things, when i took delivery of my 987.1 I found the same cover missing off one of my wiper arms. Funny factoid: I used a spare wiper arm nut cover from one of my GTI's that was an exact match/fit.
The oil was changed...it was also listed on the invoice with an AMG part number which I deciphered to be Mobil 1 0W-40 so we're good there. However it wasn't topped off properly so I took care of that as well. I like how you get a countdown when checking your oil...such anticipation!

As for the filters...ehhh, if it was a Porsche dealer, I'm sure they would've replaced them but I wasn't really expecting it. Wait, why did you have a spare wiper arm nut cover?! How often are people losing these?
Old 02-12-2019, 11:00 PM
Apex1
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

kiznarsh, your photo skills are excellant. I am ready for your next project like the shifter and cables. Then maybe lowering springs, bump stops and spring bearings. Lets leave it at that, these episodes gives us energy to complete our lists so keep it going. Much to do around the new home too.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:57 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Got the car tinted a couple weeks ago with my standard choice: 3M Color Stable @ 20%.

Name:  ynapaS3h.jpg
Size:  130.4 KB

Name:  Yku5vXih.jpg
Size:  102.0 KB

I kept my US Mill Works license plate bracket from my 981, assuming I could re-use it at some point in the future. Turns out the 981 uses a different thread so I had to get a new threaded bolt. Why the change? And why isn't this an international standard for a given class of vehicle?

Name:  UefgSCHh.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  200.7 KB

Then did some recon underneath the car prior to order cooling system parts. The supply & return coolant hoses looked and felt good, but I still ordered new O-rings since they'll be accessible anyway.

Name:  kaPufIuh.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  154.6 KB

Not sure what this white residue is...almost looks like dried up soap from an engine bay wash at some point?

Name:  JXbVSwzh.jpg
Size:  129.1 KB

Shifter cables are still in tact! Upgraded ones arrive tomorrow and will likely get installed this weekend.

Name:  7a0snCDh.jpg
Size:  148.8 KB

Also ordered a bunch of LEDs to modernize the lighting, although I forgot to get ones for the footwells. Natural white for the interior, cool white for the frunk/trunk/license plate.

Name:  Pyhw57Uh.jpg
Size:  138.7 KB

Measured the license plate ones just in case prior to ordering. Sometimes the dimensions are off.

Name:  D6T5KDqh.jpg
Size:  263.0 KB

Speaking of which, they were a little too long for the frunk/trunk. They still fit but not neatly.

Name:  erfvCuvh.jpg
Size:  45.6 KB

Name:  DbQrfk3h.jpg
Size:  60.6 KB

Name:  5W9AnCqh.jpg
Size:  111.9 KB

For those wondering about the dome/map lights, the tabs are in the front of the housing (towards the frunk) and the plastic cover just pops off to replace the bulbs.

Name:  xKYfd3Dh.jpg
Size:  132.3 KB

Glove box light was more complicated with this aluminum cover.

Name:  zt3iN4nh.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  128.5 KB

The ones for the license plate are the most satisfying and really modernize the look.

Name:  FItMA8qh.jpg
Size:  160.7 KB

Name:  jl9N7ohh.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  42.9 KB

Then gave it a quick wash for the first time since I got it. Cleans up nicely.

Name:  dX1mZeoh.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  152.3 KB

I'm starting to warm up to the wheels. I know it'll look a lot better with a drop and eventually I may just get them refinished to go along with new bolts. Or maybe I'll get something else. I don't know, bigger priorities for now.

Name:  nSwO9kzh.jpg
Size:  165.0 KB
Old 02-26-2019, 10:02 AM
PhillyNate
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

great car. FYI, I used Testors silver hobby paint on the lugs. I bought on ebay for $5. Painted the lugs while on the car with a fine brush. Not only did the color match perfectly but I did it months ago and they show ZERO signs of rusting again. Worked INFINITELY BEYOND my expectations. Painted all 20 lugs and still have half a bottle left.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:34 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PhillyNate
great car. FYI, I used Testors silver hobby paint on the lugs. I bought on ebay for $5. Painted the lugs while on the car with a fine brush. Not only did the color match perfectly but I did it months ago and they show ZERO signs of rusting again. Worked INFINITELY BEYOND my expectations. Painted all 20 lugs and still have half a bottle left.
Thanks for the tip! This is what you used, right? If you painted while on the car, I'm guessing you didn't even need to do any prep? No sanding or anything? I'll probably do it when I remove the wheels to thoroughly clean them since I wanna put a coat of wax to cut down on cleaning time.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:40 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts

Out of curiosity, what's a fair price to pay for these cars? I see some listed for mid 30s and at that rate I'd just get another 981.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:08 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
Out of curiosity, what's a fair price to pay for these cars? I see some listed for mid 30s and at that rate I'd just get another 981.
Are you looking at base or S cars?

I think $20k-$25k is a fair price for a base one that's been driven a healthy amount, but above that is still reasonable if the miles are pretty low. I'm really enjoying the more analog nature of the 987.2 compared to a 981 so depending on your primary purpose for wanting the car, a 981 isn't necessarily better.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:27 PM
PhillyNate
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
Thanks for the tip! This is what you used, right? If you painted while on the car, I'm guessing you didn't even need to do any prep? No sanding or anything? I'll probably do it when I remove the wheels to thoroughly clean them since I wanna put a coat of wax to cut down on cleaning time.

YES and I did no prep. Aside from cleaning the entire car. Cannot stress enough how well it turned out. The label on the Testors I used was different/updated but I imagine it’s the same stuff. Be advised I am confident I will have to do this again once the wheels are removed (for any reasons) but rusting until then WILL NOT be an issue.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:18 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

, I was told 2 other people were also interested in it, but 1 couldn't get his loan secured either, and the other guy had to go home and ask his wife.
My buddy traded his 07 S in on a Thursday and he didn't tell us until Saturday at breakfast. After breakfast we went to the Porsche dealer. While his salesman was getting me a list of the work they just did on the car a guy who never owned a Porsche opened the frunk and hatch hoping to see the motor. While he took it on a test drive I crunched the numbers. When he got back from the test drive with the saleswoman he told her he needed to show it to his wife. Too late I bought it.
Planet 9 had a log thread about a guy who got a shimmy at speed. Many parts later it turned out to be the license plate frame in the tow hook.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:34 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Planet 9 had a log thread about a guy who got a shimmy at speed. Many parts later it turned out to be the license plate frame in the tow hook.
Love it!!

Quick Reply: From 981 CS to Base 987.2, The Story Continues