Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Tire wear and Pzero vs Pilot4s

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 08:32 PM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Get the PS4S all the way around. You won't regret it.
+1. I had half the tread remaining on my P Zero fronts (only 12k miles), but I was happy to recycle them and put new P4S rubber at all 4 corners. It no joke transformed the car (for the better).
Old 02-06-2019, 10:15 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by gearFX
+1. I had half the tread remaining on my P Zero fronts (only 12k miles), but I was happy to recycle them and put new P4S rubber at all 4 corners. It no joke transformed the car (for the better).
Doing that with the 911 I picked up in October. Have all-seasons on it right now but in a couple of months I'll swap out the practically new P Zeros for PS4S N0s. Will keep the P Zeros in the attic and put them back on the car when I sell it.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:36 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 445 Likes on 331 Posts

Recommend Tire Rack for the Michelin Sport 4S. They come with 2 yrs of Road Hazard. They have a list of recommended installers showing the price. Some Porsche dealers with install also. If you have TPMS with batteries consider replacing with the new tires. I used Titanium for replacements. As others have stated 2 sets of rears for each front is typical. Rears typically wear more on the inside based on the independent suspension. I've swapped the right rear to the left to squeeze out a few more miles. You have to reset the TPMS. Four wheel alignments are expensive but necessary. I've you autocross or DE you should consider additional negative camber for the front.

2009 Boxster PDK w/Sport/Sport+
Old 02-17-2019, 02:53 PM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Another option is the Continental extreme contact tires( I have them and enjoy them).
My friend has a Boxster and got the pilot 4s and he’s not happy with them overall. They are quiet and soft and stick well but their sidewall is very soft and he gets a lot of movement when cornering aggressively. I’ve driven the car and it does feel squirrelly in a way compared to my extreme contacts. I also have pilot super sports on another car and it doesn’t feel that way with those either. But the 4s is a smoother ride and quieter. Haven’t tracked 4s so can’t compare there.
Pushing into the sidewalk of the 4s you can feel how soft it is.
I guess it all depends on what you’re doing with your car but there’s a few people out there who are unhappy with the 4s(more of a grand touring tire as opposed to a true sports tire). Some searching online will yield other people’s reviews of the 4s. Some great and some not so great.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:13 PM
sghokie
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you are looking for a bargain tire, check Atlas Force UHP. I got them about 3 months ago, very surprised how much I like them. I thought I was going to just use them for the winter since they are AS, but I am going to just keep them on al the time.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:39 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the comments everyone. I swapped out the tires with the Michelin 4S'. I didn't get to put any significant miles yet, the weather is sort of bad out here. My first impression is that they are significantly silent and stickier than the Pzeros.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:46 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kayaknfly
Another option is the Continental extreme contact tires( I have them and enjoy them).
My friend has a Boxster and got the pilot 4s and he’s not happy with them overall. They are quiet and soft and stick well but their sidewall is very soft and he gets a lot of movement when cornering aggressively. I’ve driven the car and it does feel squirrelly in a way compared to my extreme contacts. I also have pilot super sports on another car and it doesn’t feel that way with those either. But the 4s is a smoother ride and quieter. Haven’t tracked 4s so can’t compare there.
Pushing into the sidewalk of the 4s you can feel how soft it is.
I guess it all depends on what you’re doing with your car but there’s a few people out there who are unhappy with the 4s(more of a grand touring tire as opposed to a true sports tire). Some searching online will yield other people’s reviews of the 4s. Some great and some not so great.

Interesting. Yes, the tires are definitely softer than the Pzeros in turns, but I would need to drive on them more to see if they feel weird. I have the PS4s on my 335i and they do great on that car.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:38 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayman
Thanks for the comments everyone. I swapped out the tires with the Michelin 4S'. I didn't get to put any significant miles yet, the weather is sort of bad out here. My first impression is that they are significantly silent and stickier than the Pzeros.
I think you'll find the wet grip of the 4S's pretty remarkable. Great feel/feedback when you start to push a bit.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:01 AM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

I need to replace all 4 tires on my 981C 2.7. The Pirellis worked for me, but after reading this, it's going to be the Michelins! Thank you.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:13 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 445 Likes on 331 Posts

As I've already stated if you chose the Michelin 4S at least price compare using Tire Rack. The Tire Rack test ranks them as clearly number one. I'm not at the point to invest in another set of wheels with pure track tires like Hoosiers. I plan on driving to the track, on the track and back home on the same set of tires. I don't know of anyone who beats the price including their free 2 year road hazard. I had them shipped to a local Indy tire shop from the Tire Rack list of installers. Make sure you print and take the install price from the Tire Rack site with you otherwise you will pay more. I don't think the extra some shops want for "precision" balancing provides any better results than normal spin balancing. If you track the car invest in the heavy duty aluminum duct sealing tape, not gray duct tape, from Home Deport or Lowes and tape over your wheel weights. You can do it without removing the wheels, you have more room doing the back with a smaller caliper. A tip from a PCA member. I didn't throw any weights but I had two come off in my hand when I washed the inside of the rear wheels. I took off the wheel and could see where they had come from. The installer gave me two wheel weights. Sometimes I welcome the rain at the track since it greatly reduces the number of cars on the track. Those with pure race tires either sit it out or have to put back on their racing wet tires. The Michelin 4S have a very good rain rating.

2009 Boxster PDK w/Sport/Sport+
Old 02-19-2019, 06:05 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Yellow Submarine
I need to replace all 4 tires on my 981C 2.7. The Pirellis worked for me, but after reading this, it's going to be the Michelins! Thank you.
First of all, love the username.

I had the chance to drive my car yesterday with new tires and would recommend the switch. The wet grip is night and day compared to Pzeros.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:18 PM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

ordered already. But still a month of winter tires to come!

Quick Reply: 981 Tire wear and Pzero vs Pilot4s