Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low mileage "driver's spec" 981 Base Cayman coming up for sale soon.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 11:24 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Low mileage "driver's spec" 981 Base Cayman coming up for sale soon.

In keeping with the traditions of not starting feeler threads, I figured I'd give the 987/981 community first crack before I put together the official for sale thread and start removing parts to sell separately.

I have a 2015 low-spec Cayman that I've decided I'll be putting up for sale in a couple of weeks. It is one of the lowest spec Caymans that I've seen, and I bought it this way on purpose with the thought that it would give me a good platform for which I would build a DE and Auto-X machine. In the year that I've owned it, I haven't done a single DE (signed up for 2 and had to cancel last minute) and haven't done a single auto-x either, and I've realized my dream and the reality are two different things. This car has never been tracked at all. I simply don't have the time to devote to tracking, nor the budget for putting such a "nice" car in play. I'm not seeking any trades at the present, but I'm likely going to get a much cheaper 987.1 with higher mileage to build and track instead.

The car is a base model Cayman with 6-speed manual and 15,400mi and I'm the 2nd owner. It has never seen snow or ice, barely seen rain, always garage kept and rarely driven. When I say low spec, I mean it, as it had an MSRP of just over $55K with the only options being the 19" sport wheels. I've spent more money than necessary adding the following:
-OEM PSE Exhaust System without the electronics. This means it has the PSE, but not the button on the console to turn it off and on. The valves are in the open position at all times, which is how I like it.
-OEM GTS Black dual exhaust tip
-20" Carrera III wheels (part number 981-362-162-80-OB5) in dark grey with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. The tires have less than 3000mi of use and are practically new.
-35% 3M tint
-I literally just paid to have the 4yr service done 2 weeks ago, including the spark plug replacement, despite the low mileage. I have been around these forums long enough to know that any potential buyer would have wanted to see that done before I sold this car. This is over $1K that I don't expect to get back.

The only "cons" I have with the car are the following:
-The front bumper has been drilled directly for the license plate. In my state (VA) a front plate is required, and I stupidly did not tell the dealership not to drill the bumper when I purchased the vehicle. The car came from South Carolina and didn't have the bumper drilled, and I just didn't even think that they would do that here without asking me first, but such is life. I didn't make a stink about it.
-There is a dime sized dent on the drivers side a-piller (the black part that surrounds the front window). It was like that when I bought it and I've stopped noticing it. No other dents are to be found anywhere on the body of the car.
-My TPMS sensors aren't mating to the car. When I bought the 20" Carrera IIIs, I bought aftermarket TPMS sensors. Big mistake. Even though the frequency is right, I cannot get them to mate to the car. I still have the OEM sensors sitting in a box in my garage. I just haven't been bothered enough to go back to get the OEM ones swapped back on. It's an easy fix that I haven't done mostly because I rarely drive the car and have ignored the little light in the dash.

I fell into the trap of buying a car to eventually track and then becoming too afraid to dirty up a nice car by tracking it. I now know I need to get something a lot more used and cheaper if I want to get into that hobby. This is my 3rd Porsche. I love the brand. I just have to get one cheap enough to beat on to feel comfortable.

I'd prefer to give fellow enthusiasts the opportunity to benefit off of my wasted money. Let me tell you, buying OEM parts that were factory options and then having them installed on a car that didn't have those options from the factory is about the most expensive way you can do it. I'll never get my money back. I've got about $50K in to this car. I'm willing to sell the car as it sits for $39K firm. After having looked around at what is out there, with the same mileage and condition, I know this is a fair deal. If you're interested, PM me (I check them regularly) and then we can take it over to phone or email if we're both nearing a deal.

Sorry for the long post. I know how this works. Buy the owner, not the car. Of course a PPI is always available at the buyer's expense. The Porsche dealership is 5mins from my house and a very reputable Indy shop is 10mins away. Pictures in the post to follow. Contact me by PM.

Last edited by vbb; 02-06-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:31 AM
vbb
Pro

Last edited by vbb; 02-06-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:43 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

I hate to see you take the hit financially but at least you realize its “ time “ to move on.

i have a friend that’s mildly interested, old you mind posting the VIN or build sheet.

i may have missed it in your post but is this a manual or PDK car.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:02 PM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by Jim137a
I hate to see you take the hit financially but at least you realize its “ time “ to move on.

i have a friend that’s mildly interested, old you mind posting the VIN or build sheet.

i may have missed it in your post but is this a manual or PDK car.

Good luck with your decision.
I'm very much lukewarm about selling the car. Don't get me wrong, if I wasn't ready to let it go, I wouldn't, but at the same time I'm totally fine with keeping it too. That's why I'm saying the price is firm for now and haven't put up the full FS thread in the classifieds section yet. Once I do that, I know it will result in a bunch of tire kickers and haggling that I'm not ready to deal with now. I've identified the level of loss I'd be willing to accept, and at this point I'm not willing to take more of a hit than that (which is already substantial enough). I'll PM you the build sheet in a few minutes. I have it in hard copy somewhere in my records, I just need to go get it and scan it.

By the way, it's a 6MT. And I'm also about to edit the main post because I think I'm going to just go ahead and sell the X73 separately if I find a buyer for that because even if I keep the car, I'm not going to bother with installing the suspension if I'm not going to track it.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:21 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

I hear you regarding not wanting to deal with tire kickers and all the other pitfalls of a private sale. You may want to go on the Kelley Blue Book website as they have an option to get an “ Instant Cash Offer “ from dealers local to you. You simply need to plug your VIN in and answer a few questions and they will value your car for “ Instant Cash Offer “, trade in price and private party sale. You do need to give up your email and / or phone # and you will get a few phone calls and emails from car dealers in your area asking you to bring the car in so they can view it.

the other option would be to go to a CarMax if there’s one in your area.

Again good luck.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:51 PM
vrusso
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any interest in selling those 20" Carrera III wheels and Michelins? If so for how much and where are you located?
Old 02-02-2019, 07:19 PM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by vrusso
Any interest in selling those 20" Carrera III wheels and Michelins? If so for how much and where are you located?
unfortunately I did sell the stock sport 19s that came with the car, so I can't part out the wheels.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:24 PM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by Jim137a
I hear you regarding not wanting to deal with tire kickers and all the other pitfalls of a private sale. You may want to go on the Kelley Blue Book website as they have an option to get an “ Instant Cash Offer “ from dealers local to you. You simply need to plug your VIN in and answer a few questions and they will value your car for “ Instant Cash Offer “, trade in price and private party sale. You do need to give up your email and / or phone # and you will get a few phone calls and emails from car dealers in your area asking you to bring the car in so they can view it.

the other option would be to go to a CarMax if there’s one in your area.

Again good luck.
Yeah, there's a Carmax not far from me. I'm going to take it in to get appraised there next week. Depending on how close they get to my number, I might just do that, but I sincerely doubt they will offer anything close. Unless they surprise me with a good offer, or unless I get a good offer on here, I'd likely keep it for another year or so and try to sell again next year. It wouldn't be hard to convince me to keep the car!
Old 02-02-2019, 10:14 PM
various cheeses
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

They might surprise you. I got a quote for 39k from a Honda dealer for my 2016 base Cayman. I did have a few more options like the premium package and PASM though, as well as a custom stereo. I had higher mileage though at 23k.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:33 PM
jsykes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
unfortunately I did sell the stock sport 19s that came with the car, so I can't part out the wheels.
Would you be interested in swapping your grey wheels for identical silver ones? I have the same wheels with good GoodYears on them and have been wanting the platinum version, depending on where in VA I could meet to exchange if you'd be willing to discuss the possibility.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:48 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
I'm very much lukewarm about selling the car. Don't get me wrong, if I wasn't ready to let it go, I wouldn't, but at the same time I'm totally fine with keeping it too. That's why I'm saying the price is firm for now and haven't put up the full FS thread in the classifieds section yet. Once I do that, I know it will result in a bunch of tire kickers and haggling that I'm not ready to deal with now. I've identified the level of loss I'd be willing to accept, and at this point I'm not willing to take more of a hit than that (which is already substantial enough). I'll PM you the build sheet in a few minutes. I have it in hard copy somewhere in my records, I just need to go get it and scan it.

By the way, it's a 6MT. And I'm also about to edit the main post because I think I'm going to just go ahead and sell the X73 separately if I find a buyer for that because even if I keep the car, I'm not going to bother with installing the suspension if I'm not going to track it.
If you have ANY inclination to keep the car (even if not tracking), I’d recommend installing the x73 suspension. I had a VERY similar car and installed the x73 - one of the best upgrades I ever did to any car & tightened the car up JUST right. Just something to consider.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:16 PM
vbb
Pro

For now I'm going to keep the wheels and tires that I have on it. I think any potential buyers would rather have the like new Michelins, and if I keep it know I would (along with the darker wheels). I have to say, I'm glad this is a "soft" for sale thread because even after having it posted for a little more than a day im already thinking maybe I don't really want to sell it afterall. I drove it today and it always reminds me of why I bought it in the first place.

I'm already having second thoughts.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:40 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
I'm already having second thoughts.
Good you have come to senses. The car should be worth a lot more than $39K to you and you will miss it badly after you bought a cheaper, beat-up Cayman.

Quick Reply: Low mileage "driver's spec" 981 Base Cayman coming up for sale soon.