Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade Idea

Old 01-27-2019, 02:31 PM
72offsuit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trade Idea

Currently, own white Spyder with 5400 miles on the clock in perfect condition. This is a weekend fun car, not my daily driver. Toying with the idea of selling DD and the Spyder and buying a 991.2 Carerra T which would be daily driven and my only car. Getting older and feel like I want to drive a Porsche every day. I live in the Northeast so the Spyder just sits much of the time (not a daily driver IMHO), the T would get winter tires and be driven year round. I think the Spyder is special and while the T is cool and unique in its own right it is not a 981 Spyder. Tough call and I can argue both sides, has anyone ever made a similar move? Thoughts?

Old 01-27-2019, 03:24 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Why is the T a dd and the Spyder not? Seems backwards that you want to get rid of a ‘special’ car just so you can drive a different Porsche more.

If, on the other hand, you want to swap cars and this is one way which kind of makes sense, then I get that would proceed.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:34 PM
72offsuit
Racer

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Why is the T a dd and the Spyder not? Seems backwards that you want to get rid of a ‘special’ car just so you can drive a different Porsche more.

If, on the other hand, you want to swap cars and this is one way which kind of makes sense, then I get that would proceed.
To me the Spyder is a summer car the top is manual and the car would be very cold in the winter. There is virtually no interior storage space and the small rear window would make DD in winter difficult due to lack of visibility. The 911 on the other hand has a rear seat, backup camera etc. I don’t disagree that one
could DD the Spyder it just does not appeal to me especially on longer drives. Appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:42 PM
First 911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You’ve already decided...I just bought a 911.2 as a DD and i also live in the NE. But its not an ice and snow car...no way. I had a panamera4 and that stunk in the ice too. I happen to have a Ram 1500 also and my wife has a Rover so i’m Ok. Maybe consider a Cayenne?
Old 01-27-2019, 04:03 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by First 911
You’ve already decided...I just bought a 911.2 as a DD and i also live in the NE. But its not an ice and snow car...no way. I had a panamera4 and that stunk in the ice too. I happen to have a Ram 1500 also and my wife has a Rover so i’m Ok. Maybe consider a Cayenne?
I'm having a tough time believing a panamera 4 "stunk" for winter driving, unless it had tires that were poorly suited for the conditions. What winter tires were you using?
Old 01-27-2019, 04:36 PM
72offsuit
Racer

Originally Posted by First 911
Really have not decided, one other factor is my Spyder has the carbon bucket seats, as it should. I love the seats but they are not suited to a DD no matter how nimble you may be.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:37 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Would you realistically drive the 911 in the ice and snow? Yes, I know it can be done with proper tires, but would YOU want to do it? If the answer is yes, then I say yes, make the trade. Get something you're actually going to enjoy and drive all the time. But if this is more of an "in theory" thing, and you will find yourself wanting to drive something else in the NE winters, then I say no, keep your Spyder. I love the idea of having a Porsche sports car to drive every day, but I would not want to deal with winters and bad weather, and the ice, snow and salt that comes with it. That's a completely personal decision though, you may see it differently. And if you do think that you would be just fine driving the car everyday in all weather conditions, then I believe that that 911 T is the better vehicle for that compared to the Spyder.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:42 PM
72offsuit
Racer

Originally Posted by vbb
Would you realistically drive the 911 in the ice and snow? Yes, I know it can be done with proper tires, but would YOU want to do it? If the answer is yes, then I say yes, make the trade. Get something you're actually going to enjoy and drive all the time. But if this is more of an "in theory" thing, and you will find yourself wanting to drive something else in the NE winters, then I say no, keep your Spyder. I love the idea of having a Porsche sports car to drive every day, but I would not want to deal with winters and bad weather, and the ice, snow and salt that comes with it. That's a completely personal decision though, you may see it differently. And if you do think that you would be just fine driving the car everyday in all weather conditions, then I believe that that 911 T is the better vehicle for that compared to the Spyder.
I used to drive my 911's year-round then stopped and turned them into garage queens. The T strikes me as a car that you buy and say f... it and go out every day. If I don"t DD it then yes, Spyder 100%.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:21 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

My 2 cents...

Keep the spyder and daily drive it. Its more of a special car that a 911 and I wouldn't sell it if I were you.

You can get winter tires on it. Its not too cold with heat going and top up...can't be much different than a 981 boxster that I daily drove. Between frunk and small rear trunk, you actually have more storage space than a 911. I really like my 911 back seat area for storage, but everything else about the interior is the same...rear trunk vs rear seats is a wash IMO. You don't have to drop the top...I drove my boxster top up maybe 75% of the time.

Though someone will probably pay well for your car, a 911 T is going to much more expensive. I'm not so sure its worth it consider what you got.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:24 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

“ Getting older and feel like I want to drive a Porsche every day “

That statement right there says it all to me on where your thinking is at. If you feel you want to drive a Porsche everyday then do it and enjoy your life as you see fit.

I would add that a C4S might be a better option based on where you live.

Also, I understand your hesitance to get rid of your Spyder as it looks like a nice spec - LWBs and PCCB.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:36 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Sgroer (Smokies GT organizer) got T and raves about it, both as a fun car and as a DD, despite having had multiple GT3s, etc. Haven’t tried one myself yet.

Have a 981 Spyder like you and love it. Would be hard to ever let it go, but agree it’s no DD esp in winter.

My first Porsche was a 996 Targa that was my only car and a DD for 5 years. With a set of winter wheels and tires it was absolutely fine in the snow and ice, fun in fact. So what you have in mind is definitely reasonable and practical.

I don't think the T will be as special of a car to have in long run as 981 Spyder, but certainly will be more unique and a keeper than any other modern non-GT 911.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:19 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

I drove a new 911 GTS around Switzerland and Austria recently. That car is a snooze fest. Keep the Spyder.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:27 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
I drove a new 911 GTS around Switzerland and Austria recently. That car is a snooze fest. Keep the Spyder.
OP is talking about Carrera T, not GTS. Of course both have a new 3.0 turbo, but the version in the base T is said to be more lively to rev than the GTS, which has a lot more power but which is more blown and muted sounding, so they say.

Regardless, have to agree there is nothing like the the responsiveness and wail of a 3.8L NA flat 6 like the Spyder has. But the new Carrera T is probably the best substitute from among the new series 911 models that would preserve some of the fun while also being a very good DD.

I have one other idea for the OP instead of the new Carrera T....

Get a nicely spec’d used 2016 Cayman GTS (manual, sport suspension). It will drive, handle and sound very similar to the Spyder. It’ll have a front trunk and a convenient rear hatchback, which makes it more practical than a 911 unless you have passengers to put in rear seats. And it will be less expensive (probably about $65K-$75K.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:34 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis

OP is talking about Carrera T, not GTS. Of course both have a new 3.0 turbo, but the version in the base T is said to be more lively to rev than the GTS, which has a lot more power but which is more blown and muted sounding, so they say.

Regardless, have to agree there is nothing like the the responsiveness and wail of a 3.8L NA flat 6 like the Spyder has. But the new Carrera T is probably the best substitute from among the new series 911 models that would preserve some of the fun while also being a very good DD.

I have one other idea for the OP instead of the new Carrera T....

Get a nicely spec’d used 2016 Cayman GTS (manual, sport suspension). It will drive, handle and sound very similar to the Spyder. It’ll have a front trunk and a convenient rear hatchback, which makes it more practical than a 911 unless you have passengers to put in rear seats. And it will be less expensive (probably about $65K-$75K.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:41 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

T and GTS are basically the same experience. T has little bit more 'fun factor,' but IMO its mostly from marketing. You can say it sounds better because PSE is standard. Both are much more quieter and less exciting to drive than a 3.8 NA manual lighter weight mid engine smaller convertible. While I had my 981, test driving a loaded 991.1 C4S (loaned) was a disappointment 3 years ago. But today my preference has changed. The fact that the 911 is more boring than a cayman/boxster is what makes it a better daily driver... its much more livable. The NA noise and drone gets old and really wears on you after a while. Of course everyone is different.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trade Idea