Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sold my 981 and looking for what's next

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 04:41 PM
ahung
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

I can empathize with your situation, even though mine was a little different. My first Porsche was a 981 Cayman S. I have 3 small kids (all under the age of 10) but owning a Porsche sports car was always an aspiration for me. After I test drove the 981 I was hooked. So I purchased it and kept my Acura TL thinking that I would use the 981 for my daily drives but also have the Acura around for the days when I knew I would need to do the school drop-off/pick-up duties. After about a year of this setup, I realized I wasn't driving the 981 as much as I wanted and it also seemed like a handicap for not having the extra seats, just in case. To be honest, I almost felt like an irresponsible parent on the days that I did take the 981 to work, because I knew I would be limited if I had to pick up more than 1 kid from school. So, I sold the 981 and the Acura, fully intending to replace it with a performance sedan (i.e. M3, M5, Audi S_, etc.). I test drove a lot of cars but nothing compared to the feeling of a Porsche sports car. Not even a Macan or a Panamera in my humble opinion. Ultimately, I opted for a 991. It's the best of both worlds as it delivers on the Porsche driving experience, and I have the 3 extra seats (which can also fit a car seat) for the kids if/when called upon. I will admit that it is a different driving experience from the 981 as it is a little more GTish, but there is nothing negative I can say about it. Plus, I get to drive it everyday now and not feel guilty. Actually, the greatest joy I get from the car now is having all my kids in the P-Car with me, fighting who gets to press the Sport/Sport Plus buttons. Good luck in your search and finding the right ride for your situation.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:48 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
After driving it on track/autocross, it felt like normal street driving/commuting was wasted on the car. It just felt like using the wrong took tool for the job.
So you needed a utilitarian DD "beater" for street driving and commuting. How would selling your perfectly fine sports car achieve that goal?
Old 01-28-2019, 05:35 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
So you needed a utilitarian DD "beater" for street driving and commuting. How would selling your perfectly fine sports car achieve that goal?
Apparently poorly, which is why I'm here.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:03 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

991.1 Carrera S
Old 01-28-2019, 10:23 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

For a daily driver with car seat and use case as described go with a Golf R every day of the week and twice on Sundays. If you really want to go crazy choose one of the 40 color choices available an uptick of $2,500 for the special color choices beyond the basics.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:44 AM
various cheeses
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I was so close to doing a very similar move, trading my Cayman in for a Civic Type R (don't judge me), since I use my car only as a daily driver. I had a horrible pang of regret while they were looking over my car for a trade-in quote, and walked at the last moment.

If I had already sold it, I would consider the CTR, as it's supposedly a fun car to drive while being very practical (if you can get past the looks). If money is no issue, spring for the 991, 997, or 996. It has rudimentary back seats, that can be used to haul kids in a pinch. Plus, what kid wouldn't want to get picked up from school in a Porsche? If you go the two-seater route and need a daily beater, I'd look into a used Nissan Leaf. Rather ugly and range limited, but used ones are dirt cheap.

Man I am glad I didn't sell my 981.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:10 AM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

I suggest buying a 2017 or 2018 Macan S and putting a Cobb Tune on it. I tuned my wifes 2017 S and put on a fabspeed exhaust and its crazy fast! I love driving her car. More fun that my bmw 550i xdrive.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:53 AM
YTownSpyder
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ahung
I can empathize with your situation, even though mine was a little different. My first Porsche was a 981 Cayman S. I have 3 small kids (all under the age of 10) but owning a Porsche sports car was always an aspiration for me. After I test drove the 981 I was hooked. So I purchased it and kept my Acura TL thinking that I would use the 981 for my daily drives but also have the Acura around for the days when I knew I would need to do the school drop-off/pick-up duties. After about a year of this setup, I realized I wasn't driving the 981 as much as I wanted and it also seemed like a handicap for not having the extra seats, just in case. To be honest, I almost felt like an irresponsible parent on the days that I did take the 981 to work, because I knew I would be limited if I had to pick up more than 1 kid from school. So, I sold the 981 and the Acura, fully intending to replace it with a performance sedan (i.e. M3, M5, Audi S_, etc.). I test drove a lot of cars but nothing compared to the feeling of a Porsche sports car. Not even a Macan or a Panamera in my humble opinion. Ultimately, I opted for a 991. It's the best of both worlds as it delivers on the Porsche driving experience, and I have the 3 extra seats (which can also fit a car seat) for the kids if/when called upon. I will admit that it is a different driving experience from the 981 as it is a little more GTish, but there is nothing negative I can say about it. Plus, I get to drive it everyday now and not feel guilty. Actually, the greatest joy I get from the car now is having all my kids in the P-Car with me, fighting who gets to press the Sport/Sport Plus buttons. Good luck in your search and finding the right ride for your situation.
I couldn’t agree with you more. Had a 981 Spyder. LOVED that car. But with the wife wanted something a bit more comfortable and I have 2 kids and could never take them both. So I traded it in on a 991 Targa GTS. I really enjoy the 991 and feel it is more complete and gives me 90% of the sports car feeling that a had plus a little more room and creature comforts. I believe it would be a reasonable choice for you. But the 981/987/718 platform is awesome and tough to replicate. That’s why they make both cars.

Quick Reply: Sold my 981 and looking for what's next