Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long distance car buying questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 04:36 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Long distance car buying questions

I figure many of you have done this. I have not. Never purchased a car sight-unseen/long distance.

Wife and I are in Seattle and she has fallen for a BMW in Chicopee, MA. She's been on the phone with the sales woman now for three days straight.

Questions for you guys and gals are:
- By dumb luck, does anyone here live in Chicopee and would be willing to check the car out for a $100 gift card or similar???
- Recommendations on good shipping companies? She has one quote for $1400 that gets the new BMW from Chicopee to Seattle and takes her current BMW back to Chicopee. No idea if that's a good or bad quote. Company is called Montway.
- The dealership is NOT BMW, but they are offering 30 day, 1200 mile guarantee - return or fix within those limits. Anyone heard of that? BS?
- Any further advice on buying a car sight unseen?

Many thanks, gang.

John
Old 01-25-2019, 06:09 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4John
I figure many of you have done this. I have not. Never purchased a car sight-unseen/long distance.

Wife and I are in Seattle and she has fallen for a BMW in Chicopee, MA. She's been on the phone with the sales woman now for three days straight.

Questions for you guys and gals are:
- By dumb luck, does anyone here live in Chicopee and would be willing to check the car out for a $100 gift card or similar???
- Recommendations on good shipping companies? She has one quote for $1400 that gets the new BMW from Chicopee to Seattle and takes her current BMW back to Chicopee. No idea if that's a good or bad quote. Company is called Montway.
- The dealership is NOT BMW, but they are offering 30 day, 1200 mile guarantee - return or fix within those limits. Anyone heard of that? BS?
- Any further advice on buying a car sight unseen?

Many thanks, gang.

John
Plane tickets are cheap. I wouldn’t buy without viewing and driving at a minimum. If you can’t fly in get an independent PPI.

Peter
Old 01-25-2019, 06:21 PM
audi49
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

I've only bought sight unseen for a $5000 car. However I did do a PPI that went well.
I'd recommend that you at least get a PPI done. Suggest you ask on BMW forums for someone to recommend a local BMW shop that you could get the PPI done by.
The other decision is whether you're OK with a open carrier or enclosed carrier. I've only used enclosed (but I'm particular)... others may comment on whether an open carrier is really at all risky.
You don't mention what kind of BMW this is... i think what you should do depends on whether we're talking a $10k car or $40k car.
Good luck.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:37 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

$1,400 to ship a car from MA to WA and then send your existing car back to MA is CRAZY CHEAP. Montway doesn’t get good yelp reviews so it’s probably to good to be true. I would think a trip like that would be well over $3,000 and possibly closer to $4,000.

https://maps.apple.com/place?address...to%20Transport

Try contacting the Horseless Carriage as I have used them and they’re reputable but I’m biased as the owner is a friend on my Dad.

http://www.horselesscarriage.com/

IMO the warranty is useless to you as you’d have to incur the cost of shipping the car back to MA.

Google the reviews on the selling dealer.

Unless it’s a unique car I wouldn’t bother buying one long distance - be patient and hopefully a similar car will pop up in your area.

Get a PPI..
Old 01-25-2019, 08:04 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks all.

The dealership has excellent reviews so that's slight plus.

Jim137a - Yeah...you're preaching to the crowd on 'patience'. I agree 100%. But this is my wife. She sold BMW's for 10 years so she's an 'expert'. :-) And this one is kind of a unicorn between the model, color, interior and features combo. It's a $35K car, BTW. She's been hunting for this specific combo for two years now.

Thanks on the shipping links. Checking it out. Will also track down a BMW shop there for a PPI.

John
Old 01-25-2019, 08:23 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks all.

Jim137a - Yeah...you're preaching to the crowd on 'patience'. I agree 100%. But this is my wife. She sold BMW's for 10 years so she's an 'expert'. :-) And this one is kind of a unicorn between the model, color, interior and features combo. It's a $35K car, BTW. She's been hunting for this specific combo for two years now.

Thanks on the shipping links. Checking it out. Will also track down a BMW shop there for a PPI.

John
based on the newly posted info go with the old standby “ happy wife - happy life “
Old 01-25-2019, 08:33 PM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Get a BMW dealer PPI and fly out to see in person when paying. Then load on trailer, take plenty of pics, and fly back.

Agree, warranty is worthless to you as it would only be honored at the selling dealer.

Unless it's a Z8 I'd look for something within a few states of where you are. That said, if that won't fly then do the PPI and fly out. I wouldn't pay in full sight unseen and go with a crazy cheap shipper. expect a lot of headaches that way with finger pointing on damage between shipper and seller.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:16 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 311 Posts

Your wife is an "expert"?
Put her on a plane, then from BDL to Chicopee is 30 minutes in worst case rush hour.
(This way if anything goes South, it's on her "expertise".)
Yeah, I'm a cynic, but also married 40+ years.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:16 AM
sghokie
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought my boxster sight unseen last year from Reserve Auto Group in Texas.
They shipped it with this company Dedicated Vehicle Transport. The shipping company was great, no issues with them at all.
In your case I wouldn't send your car back to them, I think that is asking for trouble. You should sell your car locally to carmax or some other place.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:46 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Thanks all.

John
Get a ppi and buy the car (assuming a passing ppi). A independent ppi can be just as good as seeing the car in person. Just ask about all of the things you would look at. Videos and FaceTime or Skype also work. Open carrier is fine. It’s a bit unusual to ship back a trade in. Seems as though the dealer would have to either be giving you less than market or getting above market on their car to do this as they are taking on additional risk unless they do a ppi.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:18 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I’m in Ohio and bought a used RS7 sight unseen from a Florida Audi Dealer a couple years ago. But it was CPO. Probably wouldn’t have done otherwise. Dealer arranged shipping as part of the price negotiated, which I would expect any dealer to be able to do so you shouldn’t have to.

Others are right, fly to MA yourself and make a fun trip of it. If you like the car so much, road trip it back home and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Others are also right... lots of used BMWs around the country, so unless it’s an especially rare one (we are not talking about a Porsche 981 Spyder or GT3....), it may not be worth the hassle and risk of buying one 3,000 miles away from home, especially from a non-BMW dealer who can’t give you CPO warranty.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:36 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

She has one quote for $1400 that gets the new BMW from Chicopee to Seattle and takes her current BMW back to Chicopee. No idea if that's a good or bad quote.
That’s less than half of what a good 2x coast to coast transport usually costs. Reputable companies (Intercity, request their quote online) would charge $2k or more each way, which will end up being more than 12% of the car’s value. This better be a very good deal or a truly rare car.

I’ve bought cars remotely sight unseen but they’ve been under $40k and without trade-in. Not sure I’d be comfortable buying a $100k+ used car without first flying out to see it. Everyone has their own comfort zone and only you know yours.

If you decide to do it unseen, ask for many detailed pics of any scratches, dents, blemishes, and imperfections both from the seller and from the PPI tech. PPI would be a must, whether you fly to see the car or not. Tell the PPI shop that you are buying the car remotely and that would like every imperfection they observe noted in their report. Good luck!
Old 01-26-2019, 06:30 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

I've purchased 2 Porsches without in-person visits, both turned out great, PPI's were performed. With regard to a PPI, I contacted the regional PCA President for a recommendation on an independent PPI. I'd guess BMWCCA regional Presidents would be available to do the same.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:26 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

A few weeks ago the local PCA president and I went to the Porsche dealer to look at a Cabrio for another PCAer. Prez took it for a spin after I sent the buyer a bunch of pictures. While they were driving I had the buyer on the phone and went over what I saw. When they got back, I walked around the car with the buyer on the phone and answered a few more questions. Then the Prez got on the phone while I BS'd with the salesman.
I think he bought the car.
My wife would only replace her black/tan XC90 with a white/tan XC90. I loooked for six months for the right one. This was 2017 and they stopped making her model in 2014. I found an 2008 V8 (stopped the V8 in 2010 or 2011) with 34k in S.F. at the MB dealer. He sent me a Carfax. Serviced every six months. Had my friend in SF go to the dealer to confirm it existed. He is the farthest thing from a car guy. Bicycle yes, car no. Wired the money and a week later it arrived. She is happy. Shipping from S.F. to Denver was about 750. Probably was open. I didn't care. It's a station wagon.
If it's the unicorn she wants, and there is a Carfax, and you buy it, the downside is you either sell it, or put say 4K into it. Or, like my wire's XC90, you give her the keys and off she goes. 20K later and no problems (knock on wood)
Old 01-26-2019, 07:29 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 921 Likes on 532 Posts

I have used Montway , to ship my R8 and they are ok , not the best .
the shipping price quoted is most likely open , multi car carrier which is reasonable and I think for a 35 k car is acceptable
on a used car definitely do a ppi and fly to inspect the car in person , a little extra Money spent upfront , but avoids potential headache down the line
remember you are 3 k miles away, so you have to be extra careful, so once you sign papers , your options will be limited and costly if any thing goes wrong

Quick Reply: Long distance car buying questions