Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long distance car buying questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 09:28 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
Safest way - you can use some kind of escrow service... one that you both agree to. Some of the more elite auto shipping companies will offer an escrow service, but you can get them standalone.

An escrow service will have the money transferred into a holding account which neither buyer or seller can access. They escrow company will not release the money to the seller until you have proper agreed title/possession. If you Google, you can find companies that specialize in just the type of transaction you're pursuing.

All that said, most transactions go through on trust and most of them happen without issue.
I read about bogus escrow companies few years ago. I don't know how to verify if it is legit. When I put my M Roadster on Craigslist I got the scam emails with an escrow service mentioned.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:38 PM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
All that said, most transactions go through on trust and most of them happen without issue.
I'm not trying to troll Zach, but if only 1% goes bad, that is 100% for the affected individual. And we ain't talking chicken feed here.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:17 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I read about bogus escrow companies few years ago. I don't know how to verify if it is legit. When I put my M Roadster on Craigslist I got the scam emails with an escrow service mentioned.
Yes, good heads up!
Originally Posted by vracer
I'm not trying to troll Zach, but if only 1% goes bad, that is 100% for the affected individual. And we ain't talking chicken feed here.
Obviously the decision on how to go about it comes down to the individual circumstance... the statistical probability on its own does not warrant any specific route to take. This isn't as much of an issue if a dealership is involved or some other licensed business, or if if the buyer/seller meet in person even if just for the transaction, or if there is some personal/organizational connection between parties.

I personally would not simply trust someone and rely on hope that things went well... definitely NOT what I was trying to communicate. You guys are correct - these transactions are too big to simply rely on giving peopel the benefit of the doubt.

Quick Reply: Long distance car buying questions