Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First maintenance on my Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 08:56 AM
Prisoner48
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default First maintenance on my Boxster

I recently purchased a 2009 Boxster base PDK with just over 36,000 miles. On my drive home from the selling dealer I noticed that the brakes
did not feel quite right. Anyway last Thursday I took it to a well known and trusted independent shop.The history was is well documented in the car’s original manual, but I could not find any reference to brake work or PDK service. After inspecting my car on the lift the mechanic suggested a full brake job and a PDK service. I’m picking it up this morning, looking forward to the drive back home. I may run it up to Globe AZ this afternoon.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:59 PM
sghokie
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There isn't much to servicing brakes unless the pads wear out or the rotors are warped, other than fluid changes.
"Not feeling quite right" to me indicates a fluid problem.

Well if you get all new brakes at least you get to enjoy them.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:54 PM
bvanlieu
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Rotors rarely need to be changed from wear. Unless tracked with hard compounds pads to wear them too thin. Dealer wanted full brake job (they all do for $), I called the on the measurement, and measured it at 60% of service limit. If yours are near the service limit, then OK its time.
2. Warping is really pad deposits: quiet road and a bedding process may help here. You can't turn the cross drilled rotors as a quick way to scrub deposits (plus bedding can be fun: 10+ hard stops from high speed
3. If pads are low, then do pads and flush fluid (every 2y, if you have no evidence of the service assume its needed and do it, if they did the fluid every 2y then just do it on next cycle
4. I would do the transmission fluid: its been in there near 10y. Its fine yes, but that is a long time. Depending on year there is a factory service recommendation for the trans fluid I just can't recall it OTTOMH.

- b
Old 01-24-2019, 08:07 PM
Prisoner48
Intermediate

I was willing to do the brakes, because I had no documentation on them. Pads looked pretty shot. Everything else was well documented in the manual stamped by the dealer. The PDK service was definitely needed, driving home I noticed a real difference, much crisper shifting. But then I’m kinda used to the GM box on my now departed 07 Vette. I still learning this car and it’s quirks, thanks to the enthusiasts on this forum, the path is becoming clearer...
Old 02-09-2019, 01:23 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 447 Likes on 332 Posts

I have an 2009 PDK with 32000. Started tracking the car last year. Really enjoy. I paid Porsche dealer to add Sport, Sport+. The Sport+ is really a track mod keeping RPM above 4K. Suprised about the PDK needing a service, but glad it improved performance. If you decide to track suggest replacing the brake caliper bolts with Tarrett studs, especially the front. My son and I damage the threads on the left steering knuckle, steel bolt into aluminum knuckle. Used knuckles are not expensive, but four wheel alignments are. The rear still has the original discs with second set of OEM pads Have replacement discs and keeping measuring the thickness. I use ATP 2 racing brake fluid and have to change every 6 months if a run with PCA. Otherwise I think once a year is enough. Watch your convertible top getting outside of the window frame when it closes. There is a Utube of replacing the elastic. Waiting for warmer weather.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:59 PM
Prisoner48
Intermediate

Thank you for the info regarding caliper bolts and steering knuckles, good to know. I won’t be tracking the car, I bought it mainly as a top down weekender. I have a couple of Ducati motorcycles for track days. The tip about the convertible top is a keeper! I live in Arizona so warmer weather is the norm here.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:44 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 447 Likes on 332 Posts

A couple other tips. You have an air pump in the frunk (front trunk) along with a can of flat repair, tow hook, and a small tool kit. If you use the air pump you must use the cigarette lighter plug in the center console. If you use the aux plug on the left side of the passenger well it will blow the fuse. If you use a GPS remember the plugs are always on. The aux is fine for the GPS. Your Tire Pressure Monitors in each wheel at the valve stem have batteries. The battery life is depended on usage, but I've heard 5 years is getting your monies worth. I bought replacements from Titanium and had them replaced when I put four new tires on. The Porsche dealer or and independent with the diagnostic tool can give you a battery life estimate. The dealers price to replace the TPMs is outrageous. I've always bought Michelin Sport or now Sport 4S from Tire Rack. They come with 2 years of Road Hazard. Some Porsche dealers will put on tires from Tire Rack otherwise use one of their recommended installers. Don't push your luck on the car battery. It is in the frunk and if it goes completely dead there is an elaborate jumping connect in the left side driver's fuse box to open the frunk. No personal experience. Your in Arizona so winter storage should not be an issue. I'd still recommend picking up a battery tender (not trickle charger). Lots of Utubes on DIY maintenance. If you want a challenge change your engine air filter. Involves removing the engine cover under the convertible top rear window. I've had the dealer change the plugs once because they were six years old. Apparently an issue with ceasing in the block. The plugs were in great shape. A set of golf clubs will easily go in the trunk. Put the Driver and woods in separately in the pockets by both tail lights. The rest of the bag should easily lay and an angle. I know you have your Ducati's but still recommend at least a one day Driver's Ed track event. You can't use your motorcycle helmet, but most schools will have a loaner/rental. Depending on whose DE you chose they may require a recent brake fluid flush. The Potomac PCA is particularly and wants within the last 90 days or six months using racing (high temp) brake fluid like ATP 2. Your OEM brake pads will be fine for the one day event. Tire pressures and torquing the lugs is the rest of the prep. Check with PCA Arizona. They also sponsor weekend drives. Motorsportreg.com is the website used by most clubs for their events. I guessing you know that you if you track your Ducati's
Old 02-09-2019, 09:03 PM
Prisoner48
Intermediate

Excellent information, I saw the flat repair kit when bought the car. I put together a similar kit when I changed out the Goodyear Ride flat tires to Hangkook’s on my previous Corvette. So now I have two flat repair kits. Automobile batteries lead short lives in Arizona, my garage temperature in the Summer months, May thru September, oftentimes exceeds 100 degrees for days. Motorcycle batteries typically last 2 years, I generally keep them on Battery Tenders. I have a CTEK tender from my Corvette ownership, I had to install a cigarette lighter adaptor and it works fine on the Boxster. Thank you again for the relevant information. I am in your debt.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:57 AM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Was the brake fluid flushed as part of the brake service ?
Old 02-10-2019, 08:13 PM
Prisoner48
Intermediate

Yes it was..

Quick Reply: First maintenance on my Boxster