Sponsored by: APR

Burmester Upgrade in a Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 03:38 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Burmester Upgrade in a Spyder

Curious for those that specced the burmester in their Spyder and if it was worth it. I have heard the burm in the 911 and it was quite amazing over the Bose system. However with the cloth top and smaller cabin I am wondering if the Burm is still worth it? For those that have it I would like to hear your opinions on it. Debating on speccing it on the 718 Spyder but almost impossible to find a Spyder to give it a good listen before the order.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:17 PM
navarrojiii
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Burmester in my 981 Spyder which I picked up pre-owned. Although I probably wouldn't spec it with my own money, the stereo sounds AMAZING. The bass is very tight and thumps really hard. Definitely one of the highlights of this special vehicle, if you can do it go for it.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:55 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Likewise, my 981 Spyder was spec’d By original owner with Burmester, which is fantastic! Have had a 981 Boxster S with Bose before, so I know the difference and it’s huge.

Contrary to what you said about not needing with cloth too, you actually need it MORE with cloth top or for open top driving, as you need to drive the stereo to higher volumes to overcoming outside noise. And unlike the cheaper systems, the Burmester doesn’t distort or grate on your ears at higher volumes.

Sure i I turn it off entirely when carving great roads. The engine is the best music for that. But it’s great to zone out and rock out to some U2 Joshua Tree in the drive back home on the freeway, with those warm firm bass notes and crystalline highs.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:05 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I will add it to the potential list, whenever they decide to show the car.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:56 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I think the Burmester would be a must of an option over the Bose in a Spyder. I agree.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:55 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Burmester is likely awesome, but the Bose in the Spyder and the new 911.2's is much better than the older Bose. Just got back from a nice sunny drive in my Spyder and was reminded how surprisingly good it sounds, particularly with a good source. Way better than the Bose in my '14 Cayman S.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:20 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
Likewise, my 981 Spyder was spec’d By original owner with Burmester, which is fantastic! Have had a 981 Boxster S with Bose before, so I know the difference and it’s huge.

Contrary to what you said about not needing with cloth too, you actually need it MORE with cloth top or for open top driving, as you need to drive the stereo to higher volumes to overcoming outside noise. And unlike the cheaper systems, the Burmester doesn’t distort or grate on your ears at higher volumes.

Sure i I turn it off entirely when carving great roads. The engine is the best music for that. But it’s great to zone out and rock out to some U2 Joshua Tree in the drive back home on the freeway, with those warm firm bass notes and crystalline highs.
This has been my finding as well. Love the Burmester on my Spyder. However, the Bose is not bad. BTW, I've heard the Burmester is a lighter option,
Old 01-24-2019, 10:25 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Interesting that the Burmester is lighter, is it also lighter than the base stereo option or just the Bose?
Old 01-24-2019, 10:31 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

A good compromise may be this upgrade. Everyone who has done it seems to rave about it, and it's a lot cheaper to order the Bose and upgrade it than to specify (or upgrade to) the factory Burmester option.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:06 AM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Interesting that the Burmester is lighter, is it also lighter than the base stereo option or just the Bose?
Not sure if applies to the base system too. If I recall correctly, the weight might have been associated with speaker magnet material.

Last edited by NelsonF; 01-25-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:23 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
A good compromise may be this upgrade. Everyone who has done it seems to rave about it, and it's a lot cheaper to order the Bose and upgrade it than to specify (or upgrade to) the factory Burmester option.
Hmmm. Now I'm intrigued. Can my current Bose system really be easily upgraded by replacing the tweeters? I'm still searching for the link to the Burmester/Musicar thread that applies specifically to the 981. Anyone have it handy?
Old 01-25-2019, 04:24 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Hmmm. Now I'm intrigued. Can my current Bose system really be easily upgraded by replacing the tweeters? I'm still searching for the link to the Burmester/Musicar thread that applies specifically to the 981. Anyone have it handy?
There are probably no differences between the 981 and 991 in that respect. I'd recommend contacting '12VoltNick' directly, or whoever actually came up with the mod in the first place, as I haven't done it myself and don't have any firsthand knowledge.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:07 PM
Four Ring Circus
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Hi all- lurker here doing my research for a Cayman purchase. I have the Burmester in “nice to have” column for my search. This thread got me thinking, so I did some searching and came up empty to my sudden thought. To the owners with the Burmester system- does the Burmester have any extra amps, subs, or other hardware compared to the Bose that would inhibit installation of aftermarket seats or roll bar? Thank you!
Old 01-30-2019, 09:50 PM
benben01
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Hey Jeff! I did the Dynaudio tweeter upgrade on my GT4 recently.. Can't say it's a super night and day difference by themselves. However, it's a definitely cleaner sound and you have to do some playing around with the bass/treble/loudness combo to bring out the clarity.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:28 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by benben01
Hey Jeff! I did the Dynaudio tweeter upgrade on my GT4 recently.. Can't say it's a super night and day difference by themselves. However, it's a definitely cleaner sound and you have to do some playing around with the bass/treble/loudness combo to bring out the clarity.
Thanks. I'm not much of an audiophile so maybe this $700 expenditure isn't for me. I think the Bose setup sounds fine. Might be better off spending $250 on the black center caps for your old wheels!

Last edited by SpyderSenseOC; 02-04-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Burmester Upgrade in a Spyder