Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2 3.4L mods: best bang for the buck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 10:01 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
Daylorb - could you elaborate on why the tuners advised against an intake?

Reason I ask is I have a 987.2CS with Fabspeed catless headers and fabspeed supercup exhaust on it.

Already bought the IPD Comp plenum and GT3 TB as well as Cobb AP. Just haven't installed and had tune done.

John G

Can softtronics tune be applied using Cobb AP?
I don't know what the impact is with headers, but according to what I was told, the larger plenum/throttle body had no impact, and was more prone to CEL. After doing a fair bit of searching on this site, it seems a lot of others have made that same conclusion.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:00 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

We helped develop the Driven oils, so I'm partial to them.

For the track, we run Driven XP9 exclusively. For street, we run DT40 or Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w40 if under warranty. We now also have DI40 for direct injected cars. It's formulated a bit different to protect against LSPI and fuel diluation.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:50 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daylorb
I don't know what the impact is with headers, but according to what I was told, the larger plenum/throttle body had no impact, and was more prone to CEL. After doing a fair bit of searching on this site, it seems a lot of others have made that same conclusion.
For the 987.2 and 981 we use the Cobb tunes out of the box. PDK tune works well, even on a sport chrono car. Cobb doesn't kill adaptation nor turn off monitors.

We use and recommend the competition IPD plenums and gt3 throttle body, however we're dealing with sizeable increases in displacement and we need to get more air into the engines. Not a single issue with CEL.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:48 AM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
For the 987.2 and 981 we use the Cobb tunes out of the box. PDK tune works well, even on a sport chrono car. Cobb doesn't kill adaptation nor turn off monitors.

We use and recommend the competition IPD plenums and gt3 throttle body, however we're dealing with sizeable increases in displacement and we need to get more air into the engines. Not a single issue with CEL.
Hi Charles,

2 questions. Which of the oils that you mentioned would you recommend for a 987.2 CS (DFI) that is pretty much exclusively DE (but not 'raced') that sees 40 - 50 track days a year?

When you say you use Cobb tubes out of the box do you mean the ones you can download from their website (meaning not a custom tune)?

The stage 1 93 octane? Would that apply for a car that has intake and exhaust mods?
Old 01-26-2019, 02:08 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul Performance
Hey Charles, what are your thoughts on oil to use in the cars? You're the pro there, would love to hear your recommendation.
John, I'm not a "Pro" but have quite a bit of experience with racing engines. I have been running Motul 300 V for several years with my Caymans.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:10 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used the Cobb PDK Tune on my '11 Cayman S but at first try, the Accessport wold not communicate with the PDK. Had to go to the dealer and get a Porsche software upgrade installed into the PDK before Cobb would communicate. Originally, the PDK would upshift at ridiculously low RPM, finding 7th gear @ 38mph! Installed their basic level upgrade which, if I'm correct, mimics the "R" and upshifts are significantly later.. Additional upgrade will delay shift further and reduce clutch activation time. OEM software setting is not eliminated so one can always revert back.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:54 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by badabing
Hi Charles,

2 questions. Which of the oils that you mentioned would you recommend for a 987.2 CS (DFI) that is pretty much exclusively DE (but not 'raced') that sees 40 - 50 track days a year?

When you say you use Cobb tubes out of the box do you mean the ones you can download from their website (meaning not a custom tune)?

The stage 1 93 octane? Would that apply for a car that has intake and exhaust mods?
I consider DE worse than a car that is "raced" as it's my experience that race cars get serviced properly (after every event) and street cars that are DE'ed don't get serviced enough.

If tracked, DE or race, we use XP9 and it gets changed after every event. If a street car, we tell them to put DT or DI-40 in for the street and change to XP9 before going to the track.

We use the standard cobb tune that comes from them, not a custom tune. I'm sure you can squeeze a few more HP with a custom tune, but their shelf (out of the box) tune is safe and we have years of experience with it.

The ECU has the ability to adapt - so as long as the tune doesn't kill adaptation, which Cobb's doesn't, the ECU will adjust for changes like exhaust, intake, etc.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:29 AM
Liongolfer
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Aw man.. just as I decided to go with just a tune from FVD, I come across this thread.. gets me thinking again about the carnewal 200 cel cats.

Quick Reply: 987.2 3.4L mods: best bang for the buck?