Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value of 987.1 S as roller

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 04:08 PM
jbowen93
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value of 987.1 S as roller

I bought my 07 Cayman S Manual in November 2017 with about 72k miles. I drove it for about 7 months before bringing it to my first DE event where the engine blew. I'm now trying to figure out what to do with it.

Options seem to be:
  • Sell it as a roller.
  • Buy another used engine and swap them, try to get something for the core I have.
  • Rebuild the current engine, though I haven't bothered to pay my shop to diagnose what the precise engine failure is.
Hoping to get an idea of what the car is worth as a roller before proceeding.

The bad, from less costly to more:
  • One of the cupholders is broken, the tray closes but the driver side cup doesn't work. Only available solution seems to be replacing the whole assembly which is 2 screws and about $400.
  • Front right bumper has a scrape on the lower right side from a rock.
  • I was told the undercarriage could use some work, I don't have a lot of details or any pictures for this, just what I've been told by my shop.
  • Rear spoiler is broken. At about 70mph the spoiler deploys but doesn't do it fully (one side is ever so slightly lower). An error along the lines of "spoiler failed to deploy" is displayed on the dash along with a chiming noise. The kicker is, every time you go below 70 mph and then back above it attempts to deploy again because it doesn't think it has correctly deployed, so it chimes again. My shop says the issue is in the hydraulics so to fully replace is about $1500. It may also be possible to fully disable this with a diagnostic tool.
  • As said above, the engine is blown. I haven't diagnosed exactly what the failure was as that would require pulling the engine. Obvious candidates are bore scoring, IMS bearing or a rod breaking. I'm not sure how each of these affect the value of the core with regards to a rebuild.
Any help or information is greatly appreciated. Car is located in Boulder, Colorado.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:25 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 204 Posts

Call John Tecce at BGB, he may have someone who wants a track roller for their M97 rebuild/9A1 conversion etc. The other benefit of that is they don't care about the little side issues.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:43 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

You might also try PCS Motorsports in Colorado Springs.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:36 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Was it a mis-shift (money shift)?

You won’t know your best line of action until you pay a shop to diagnose the problem. I’d invest in that first. But if you don’t want to fix/keep the car, given its overall condition, then selling it to a race shop as a roller may be a good idea. Just realize that you could be leaving some money on the table.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:22 PM
jbowen93
3rd Gear

It wouldn't surprise me if I mis shifted. First HPDE and it blew coming out of the long straight into a corner. I'll talk to my shop and see what's its gonna run to do a full diagnosis.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:59 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Very good questions and options list. I have a few questions too: is this car a weekend fun car, track car, or both? How has the maintenance been up til now? Oil changes regularly? Brakes, tranny, original clutch, interior condition, and do you like the car (colors, wheels, etc)? With out knowing any of these answers I would not be able to recommend anything. But since I have an ‘07 Cay S that I track and drive to work when the wx sucks (otherwise I take the 911), and mine has 60k miles, If the engine were to fail, my plan is to drop a 997.1 3.8 engine in it. My Indy mechanic says it’s an easy conversion. Used motors in this category can be had for $13-15k plus labor. Your other issues can be fixed but only you can decide if it’s worth it. Used 987.2 cars can be had for low $30s too. Good luck,and I hope this is food for further thought.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:07 PM
jbowen93
3rd Gear

Usage was going to be weekends, good weather commuting, and tracking. My thought process is that I'm about $27k into this car. If I can get back half of that then that's ok with me and I'd rather cut my losses and do that. If I'm getting <$10k as a roller then it may be worthwhile to look at other options since I do like the platform and intend to own a RWD sports car. Based on this thread it sounds like I may be able to get what it's worth to me to get rid of the car. I'll be calling BGB on Tuesday to see what they have to say.

Quick Reply: Value of 987.1 S as roller