Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Help Assessing Condition of Boxster Spyder Wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 01:54 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

^ Yeah, not quite the same..

1) Pay $400 and he gets to keep his $3K for the cost of the wheels.
2) Pay less than $400 for the return shipping, AND refund the 3K, plus now he has to relist and sell to someone else, etc.

Ya know, the old saying about money in hand is worth 2 in the bush kinda thing..
Old 01-21-2019, 02:12 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
^ Yeah, not quite the same..

1) Pay $400 and he gets to keep his $3K for the cost of the wheels.
2) Pay less than $400 for the return shipping, AND refund the 3K, plus now he has to relist and sell to someone else, etc.

Ya know, the old saying about money in hand is worth 2 in the bush kinda thing..
Obviously it isn't the same, but it seems to be the most reasonable solution considering the seller was already willing to pay an additional $400 to make things right. Seller can always sell the wheels (with a more adequate description) again, and possibly for at or near the same $3K, given that they are $5400 new. But who knows--we're all just 3rd parties commenting on a transaction that none of us are involved with. Buyer and seller feedback is vital to the classified section of this board though, and it seems there is a reasonable solution available for both parties.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:40 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I'd personally just want to ship them back. If this happened on eBay, the buyer would get 100% money refunded, the product is vastly different than advertised.

And while I just paid to have an old set of track wheels powder coated for $400, if you are looking to make a wheel look like an OEM 9+/10 condition, one that was described as low miles/practically perfect, $800 seems pretty low if you ask me, not to mention the time/headache/unknowns that go with that.

This is a simple buyer pays to get them shipped back - this has been played out a million times already on sites like eBay and why they have buyer protection. I'd simply expect that on Rennlist, particularly if reputation was in order.

Hell - I sold a boatsafe heater years ago on the Malibu forum. Guy got it, tested it, it worked, but it made a slight humming noise that made him nervous. I totally get it - you are trusting the thing to keep your entire engine from freezing. I paid to get it shipped back no questions asked. As karma would dictate - I wound up needing it again anyway and four years later still use it without problem!
Old 01-22-2019, 12:01 AM
cr2012
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you all for your replies. @golfnutintib reached out this evening, and he's offered to send me $800 so that I could get the wheels refinished locally where I live. He also apologized. We're going to put this transaction behind us. Thank you all again for chiming in.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:36 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Thing is, if you drop the ball, you should pay the price, not him. That's the consequence of making a mistake, you do what's right to fix it, even if it costs you a bit. And yep, you have lots of cars; sounds like you could easily afford to keep your reputation intact.

You dropped the ball, not him. The wheels weren't as you described, and you weren't the original owner, even tho you said you were. As for the rest, if you had shipped wheels to the guy that were exactly as they were described, none of the events you describe that happened after woulda taken place. You're 100% at fault. Own it. So you should cover 100% of any expenses, including shipping.

Sorry, but after reading your thin explanation, you sure comes across like, "I have to say, I just don't know about this guy."
Took the words right out of my mouth. You F up, you own it and move one. It happens. You don't turn your screw-ups into someone else's problem and then whine about it when the aggrieved party just wants to be made whole.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:31 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I don't have a dog in this fight but being local to Steve (Bay Area) and have bought a set of wheels from him. Of course, I did a local pickup/inspection of the "aftermarket" wheels and they were as described. Steve is a VERY busy guy with (too?) many "irons in the fire" and appears to have slipped up here. He is a local PCA Instructor along with HOD, and is well known in the local community. I am rather surprised he got himself in this situation and hope all is (mostly) resolved with both individuals. As mentioned earlier here (63A), price seems reasonable but representation was off.........
Old 01-22-2019, 03:38 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by cr2012
Thank you all for your replies. @golfnutintib reached out this evening, and he's offered to send me $800 so that I could get the wheels refinished locally where I live. He also apologized. We're going to put this transaction behind us. Thank you all again for chiming in.
Glad to hear it. Logic usually prevails.

Quick Reply: Help Assessing Condition of Boxster Spyder Wheels...