Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Help Assessing Condition of Boxster Spyder Wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 06:26 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts

These were listed at top price here, and will be returned to the seller, who will list them again for how much?
Old 01-19-2019, 06:26 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 919 Likes on 530 Posts

I'll pay half the shipping after he refund the money, and consider it lesson learned . You should have asked for detailed recent pics from seller before wiring money
Old 01-19-2019, 07:28 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,597 Likes on 879 Posts

New these are $5400 a set without center caps, sensors or tires. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/987CSPYD.html

Price seems right... though the seller was dishonest on condition. I agree though, I would have requested high resolution images or a FaceTime discussion to get a better sense of condition. Condition is a very subjective matter. My 9/10 isn’t always the same as someone else’s. Is 9/10 from new? Or for the age of the item?

I’m so **** nowadays that I almost always buy new now.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:48 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I've bought hundreds of items on eBay over the last 20 years, three cars unseen, and one boat. I've only felt jobbed twice. The boat, and a pair of skis. Thankfully it doesn't happen very often, but this is one of those instances.

Interesting the original marketplace ad mentions pickup preferred, who would have picked these up in person and paid that much?
Old 01-20-2019, 10:11 AM
cr2012
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is a snip of the response from the seller. Read in full below:

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1118759#post15579124

Old 01-20-2019, 10:36 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Sloppy is an understatement. I'm surprised he thought he would get away with this?
Old 01-20-2019, 05:13 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Very poor repaint. The seller should take those back - no questions asked. Wow.

Andreas
Old 01-20-2019, 09:38 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Golfnutintib is a pretty regular poster around here, not just a guy that created an account and paid the membership fee to sell something. I completely agree that a description of condition in a numerical fashion (9/10 for example) is way too subjective to be meaningful. Detailed pics are key when buying something over the internet. That said, saying you're the original owner when you aren't, and misrepresenting the mileage on an item is just purely false advertising. Golfnut should suck this one up, pay for the return shipping and apologize. Those wheels can and will still sell for thousands, but they were not as originally advertised and the buyer should get his money back at no cost to him.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I would suggest negotiating a lower price and getting them refinished. Most Spyder wheels unless very recently purchased are nearly 8 years old now and some have some miles on them. None will be perfect. Find a highly recommended wheel shop, get the cost to refinish and negotiate what you feel would be fair to both of you. That will save the hassle, shipping cost and you’ll get your new set of wheels.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:01 AM
cr2012
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vbb
Golfnutintib is a pretty regular poster around here, not just a guy that created an account and paid the membership fee to sell something. I completely agree that a description of condition in a numerical fashion (9/10 for example) is way too subjective to be meaningful. Detailed pics are key when buying something over the internet. That said, saying you're the original owner when you aren't, and misrepresenting the mileage on an item is just purely false advertising. Golfnut should suck this one up, pay for the return shipping and apologize. Those wheels can and will still sell for thousands, but they were not as originally advertised and the buyer should get his money back at no cost to him.
Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I would suggest negotiating a lower price and getting them refinished. Most Spyder wheels unless very recently purchased are nearly 8 years old now and some have some miles on them. None will be perfect. Find a highly recommended wheel shop, get the cost to refinish and negotiate what you feel would be fair to both of you. That will save the hassle, shipping cost and you’ll get your new set of wheels.

I appreciate your perspectives. I bought the wheels from @golfnutintib in the first place because he had history on the forum (4+ yrs & 3,500+ posts) and was prompt and professional in our pre-sale exchanges. I still hope that he did not intentionally misrepresent the condition of the wheels--I'd like to think that it was just an honest mistake.

Since discovery of the true condition of the wheels, I've worked nothing but in good faith to resolve this issue, and one option involved getting quotes to refinish the wheels locally where I live. I got two quotes based on recommendations from my local PCA. But after I had communicated to him one of the quotes--I had actually offered to chip in 20% towards the total refinishing cost--@golfnutintib simply asked me to ship the wheels back. When I tried to confirm how much he would refund me, he stated that he would not cover the return shipping cost. Somehow, according to his text, he thought I was trying to take advantage of him...
Old 01-21-2019, 01:55 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

hello all... i hate airing dirty laundry here but i guess i will chime in, if for no other reason than for the entertainment of folks who have chosen to post responses on this thread

this guy richard contacts me says he is interested in these wheels - ask for shipped cost to houston, i tell him shipping is really expensive i prefer not to ship, esp. with the tires on the wheels still, but if he has a company ups or fedex account it might be somewhat reasonable, and i shd dismount the tires for cheaper shipping

he says steve he is a pca track instructor too, has a company fedex acct, has 3000 as his absolute budget he wants the tires too, he will pay for shipping on acct, how soon can i ship... i was headed out for a 2 day trip but ok you are a fellow pca track instructor bro, these wheels are getting hard to find these days, 3 grand is fine, i'll pack and ship right when i get back

he asks if i am original owner (i say yes) if there are any repairs (i say no) if they've been tracked (no)... i had bought these from my local p-car dealer (sonnen) as a spare set when i got my aqua blue cayman r 5-6 years ago, dealer said they had the extra set of oem cay r wheels as they were dismounted from another customer's car who taken delivery of his cayman r, he wanted aftermarket wheels mounted... i guess i should have inspected them more closely at that time, but they always looked fine to me, i bought them from sonnen with fresh mich ps2's on them, they have always looked perfect when on my car, therefore the basis of my answer

i ran these wheels/tires on my car for a thousand miles or so, maybe 2, way back then, then put them away as my 'pretty oem spares'. i had put cup 2's on my car's original wheels which i tracked with (car later went to bgb in florida for its 3.8 transplant but that's another much more pleasant story!)... so these have been stored in my garage all these years... the wheels have very good paint to my eye, they don't have a single curb mark, i had taken a road trip to santa barbara and back on them way back then, i know they drive straight and true as an arrow, they look great... (that is why i listed them as 9+/10)

so i ship richard these, he gives me a ship-to address at a 'modern performance', a car parts company... they are signed for 2 days later receipt all good... then the next weekend he texts says hey these have been repainted you lied to me... i am surprised to say the least but he sends me these super up close pics, damn maybe he is right, i never noticed this, even as i packed them for shipping... but i'm also thinking hey wait you told me you are a track guy you wanted these wheels with tires now you are making a stink about some minor paint issues, really???... anyway, i still call him apologize profusely, say i will try to make it right... i say look you are in houston, you have the wheels already, if the paint bothers you, just get them repainted or powdercoated... shd be about 100 a wheel, i will pay for that, make you happy ok?

he then texts says it'll be a thousand bucks according to the dealer...i say c'mon, you are in houston, find a more reasonable shop, its a huge city, tons of wheel refurbishers... he then says he called another shop its 800... at that point i am thinking, dude, you are a pca track instructor your business is a car shop, you repaint wheels for that much? i wasn't born yesterday you are playing me at this point, just ship em back... he says alright well you pay shipping both ways, i say no buddy after what we have been through at this point, you want 800 to 1000 to repaint or you want a full refund with 2 ways shipping -- you wanna send em back, you are gonna have to pay one way, i went out of my way for you, i made an honest mistake you are trying to bend me over, i don't like who i am dealing with here

so here we are...

i try hard to when i sell stuff, cars, or parts, to be kind and be fair... i view this board as a real community... on my ads, i always say come on over, look in person, come drive this car with me, check it out, inspect it yourself ppi welcome... if you have seen my for sale ads on cars i go over the top to describe details for out of town buyers, write paragraphs and paragraphs, why the heck would i chose this guy to hose on a set of used wheels????

i may well have dropped the ball on this one if these wheels were repainted, maybe i have too many cars, too many wheels too many track days i don't put my nose up against the paint on wheels sets... but i have to say, just don't know about this guy
Old 01-21-2019, 03:28 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
i may well have dropped the ball on this one if these wheels were repainted, maybe i have too many cars, too many wheels too many track days i don't put my nose up against the paint on wheels sets... but i have to say, just don't know about this guy
Thing is, if you drop the ball, you should pay the price, not him. That's the consequence of making a mistake, you do what's right to fix it, even if it costs you a bit. And yep, you have lots of cars; sounds like you could easily afford to keep your reputation intact.

You dropped the ball, not him. The wheels weren't as you described, and you weren't the original owner, even tho you said you were. As for the rest, if you had shipped wheels to the guy that were exactly as they were described, none of the events you describe that happened after woulda taken place. You're 100% at fault. Own it. So you should cover 100% of any expenses, including shipping.

Sorry, but after reading your thin explanation, you sure comes across like, "I have to say, I just don't know about this guy."
Old 01-21-2019, 10:14 AM
cr2012
Rennlist Member

I will simply point out a couple factual errors in the long post by @golfnutintib

"they are signed for 2 days later receipt all good... then the next weekend he texts says hey these have been repainted"
Fact: the wheels were shipped out on Fri, Jan 11. Three of them arrived Wed, Jan 16. The last one Thur, Jan 17. I contacted the seller about the paint issues as soon as I discovered them on Fri, Jan 18. Here is the tracking number for the final wheel: FedEx 784930141572

"at that point i am thinking, dude, you are a pca track instructor your business is a car shop"
Fact: I do not own, run, or work for Modern Performance (aka the "car shop"). It is owned by a friend of mine. I had the wheels shipped there so that my friend could sign for them during the day because usually no one is at my home during day time.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:43 AM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

@golfnutintib Are you always so dishonest? How much is your rep worth? You lied about so many things your reputation is permanently tarnished. Those wheels look so bad it makes me wonder if those wheels are truly OEM. The only way you can salvage part of your reputation is return 100% of the purchase price and pay for 100% of return shipping. Paying 100% of the refinishing cost would still leave a bad taste in the buyers mouth. The last person who tried to scam me on the internet went to jail.

@cr2012 dispute the charge if / while you can. Return shipping is not your problem. Seller is scummy and doesn't want to be held accountable.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:21 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

At least both sides of the story have been aired. The confusing thing to me is that golfnut agreed to pay for a repaint of the wheels (which was a stand-up thing to do and a good faith effort at resolving the issue) to the tune of about $100/wheel...or $400. Seems the negotiation over a resolution broke down when the OP stated that it would be at least $800 for a repaint. Ok fine, the OP can't find a cheaper price and doesn't want to do a repaint, no biggie. Why then wouldn't golfnut just pay for the shipping for the return then? I mean, if he was prepared to pay around $400 for a repaint, it seems that his refusal to pay for the return shipping (which can't be more than $400) was more because he got irritated at the OP than an actual money decision. I get standing on principle, but I also believe problem-solving should be the ultimate goal.

It would cost golfnut less to pay for the return shipping than it would for him to pay for the repaint that he offered. The solution is right there staring everyone in the face.

Quick Reply: Help Assessing Condition of Boxster Spyder Wheels...