Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much is it worth?

Old 01-19-2019, 03:21 AM
various cheeses
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
Default How much is it worth?

Trying to figure out a ballpark asking price for my late 2016 981 Cayman base, as I'm considering selling. 23000 issue free miles on the clock, and it was somewhat lightly optioned:
  • White with black interior
  • Manual
  • Leather package (leather on door/center armrests, above gauges)
  • PASM
  • Folding side mirrors
  • Sportdesign steering wheel
  • Premium package (14-way heated memory seats, dimming mirrors, rain sensor, HID lights, climate control)
  • Ventilated seats
  • Silver seatbelts
I kept the 18" Cayman wheels, which may not be especially popular, but would make good winter wheels for anyone wanting an aftermarket set for summer. Now here's where it gets tough: I also completely replaced the base stereo with about $5k worth of aftermarket equipment. The 4-way speakers were professionally replaced with a 6-way setup using Illusion Audio Carbon tweeters, 4" mids, 8" woofers, added a DSP/amp, and a nice new double-DIN Kenwood headunit that has apple carplay/android audio, bluetooth, and wires up the USB connection in the glovebox just like the Bose system. Also added a backup camera as part of the package, and it all looks OEM. Obviously I'm not expecting any return on this investment, and I wonder if I should try and downgrade a few speakers and maybe the DSP/amp to move to the new car (if I sell). Do people care about the stereo in a car like this?

The windows/windshield are also lightly tinted with Huper Optik Sech and 3M Crystalline respectively. Front bumper has PPF, and the car has been detailed every 6 months.

The auto start/stop stays off between drives, and this car is probably one of the last NA sixes delivered on the east coast.

Last edited by various cheeses; 01-19-2019 at 04:27 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:44 AM
various cheeses
Racer

Looking on CarGurus in my area (NC), maybe $43k would be a good start?
Old 01-19-2019, 12:08 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Seems you have a good spec and a few extras that some buyers might be interested in (audio system and PPF). That said, you're almost certainly not going to get any money back from the audio, and if it isn't too much of a hassle, I'd remove all of it, put the car back to stock and then sell the audio separately. Even if you only got say $1K for everything (just a low-ball guess), that'd be $1K more than you'd get if you left it in the car.

It seems that most Base model 981 Caymans are being offered by dealerships for high $30s for the 2014 & 2015 models with higher mileage and low $40s for the 2015 and 2016 models with lower mileage. Some higher optioned Base 2016 models with very low mileage (under 10K) are being offered for mid-$40s. If you listed yours at $43K you might have a few nibbles, but you'll be in competition with a lot of dealerships out there. I'm thinking around $40K-$41K will be the selling point if you're motivated to sell, but you could get around $42K or maybe even slightly higher if you're patient and find the right buyer.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:27 PM
Phantom400
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default KBB

I think you can go to www.kbb.com/ and enter your options and they will give you a number.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:10 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good build! I wouldn't expect to see anyone pay extra for the audio add ons (unless you found a very specific buyer). Additionally, tint does not regularly "add" to the sale price and I live in TX where it's almost expected.

I would personally remove everything that is not stock if you can and sell them separately. For some folks, the extra stuff (audio) could be a deterrent.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:35 PM
various cheeses
Racer

Yeah I was thinking of just leaving the head unit in, since it's the one thing that's head and shoulders over the oem unit and pull the speakers and amp. Thanks guys, I'll have to think about it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much is it worth?