Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finished my 981 Boxster search — picked up a 987 😀

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 12:23 PM
Cherryblock
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 74 Posts

Well done, beautiful!
Old 01-19-2019, 05:09 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Obviously I love the interior too.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:37 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Piling on the the congrats. These are such great cars. Savvy pick-up!

Originally Posted by hf1
Thx all! I have a special weakness for 987 Boxster S as that was my first Porsche . . .
Ditto. Loved my former '05 S which shares your Carrera S wheels (which I love):

I've got some great 987.1 Boxster literature/brochures. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Enjoy!
Old 01-20-2019, 09:01 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

^ SJ, thx. I like those wheels too, especially on a Boxster. Your previous Box S looks great too. Which Grey color was that?

May not be savvy but it felt like 986/987s had been beaten into a pulp from all the IMS/RMS hoopla, way more than they deserved, IMO. They became just too much Porsche goodness for the buck, especially since I know first hand how good and fun these cars can be. (I also race a 986). I immediately recalled the hydraulic steering goodness in the short test drive which came after recently testing few 981s. From recent BaT auctions, it seems like the market is starting to recognize this, as well. Plus the 987 look seems to be aging well. The 981 “look advantage” over the 987 has shrunk over the last few years for me. Combine this with the gorgeous color combo and it felt like a no-brainer. Now Spring can’t come soon enough.

Sent you PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:01 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Good looking car! Congratulations and enjoy!
Old 01-20-2019, 11:22 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
^ SJ, thx. I like those wheels too, especially on a Boxster. Your previous Box S looks great too. Which Grey color was that?

Thanks. My car was Seal Grey Metallic (Y1) with a fairly rare bi-color Black/Stone Grey interior option.

These photos don't do the interior justice but you can get a sense of the black bolsters, grey seat inserts, grey trim on the doors, etc. Really nice in person.

And bought matching Porsche luggage (Rimowa) in Seal Grey:

I thought my color combo was the cat's meow, but now after seeing yours' I'm having second thoughts I think there's another recent thread just a week or two old where someone else got a silver/tan car and it, too, looked amazing. Just a very refreshing break from the common silver/black combo (which I still love).

Originally Posted by hf1
May not be savvy but it felt like 986/987s had been beaten into a pulp from all the IMS/RMS hoopla, way more than they deserved, IMO.
+1. Overblown IMO given the easy and relatively inexpensive fix, but thank God for the paranoia as it's making these great cars undervalued and obtainable.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:59 PM
hf1
Banned

^ SJ, you had taken color-matching to another level! Very nice!

Another factor for my decision to get this 987 (and forego 981) were my posts in other (500hp+) threads where I was convincing people that 300hp is more than plenty for maximum back-roads fun. Many here seem preoccupied with whether the new Spyder/GT4 will have 20 or 40hp more than the 380hp in the old one. At the same time, I see those same folks complaining about long gearing and about not being able to get out of 2nd gear on back-roads without risking life and limb. So I thought, here I am telling others not to fall for the "more HP = better" bait but at the same time I'm looking at 981 S/GTS as somehow being superior to 981 Base or 987 S/base. I decided to follow my own advice and concluded that a 280hp 987.1 S should fit me just fine.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:59 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

PASM + Sport Chrono... then the color combo on top of that =
Old 01-22-2019, 10:15 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Stunning. Congrats.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:16 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Thx all! I have a special weakness for 987 Boxster S as that was my first Porsche — a triple black 06 Boxster S which I bought new and enjoyed for 6 wonderful and trouble free years and 40k miles. Have missed it ever since. Just picking up where I left off, I guess.

This one looks much better. I don’t think I had ever seen the color combo on ANY Porsche before. I dropped my 981 search and contacted the seller the moment I saw the OP pic. Looks stunning in real life. Some more pics (recent, by previous owner):

Damn I love those body-colored center consoles.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:32 PM
hf1
Banned

Took it out of storage couple of days ago and got my first chance to stretch its legs on some back-roads here. Some thoughts I had as I drove:

- Boy did I miss my 06 Box S that I sold six years ago!
- Is there a better back-roads car at any price? To me, probably not. It wears around you like a jump suit and gently excites your senses without being even a little overbearing.
- PASM and Sport (Chrono) mode are worth it. Stock (non-PSE) sound is amazing especially above 4k rpm. Not sure I would want it any different or louder.
- HP and gearing are perfect.
- Heated seats (sports plus) are totally worth it. First drive was on a 39F cloudy late PM on deserted backroads. Top down, bundled up wife in passenger seat (a trouper!), ski hat, seat, and air heat FULL ON. What fun!
- Yesterday took it to a (touchless) carwash, lunch with friends, and back-roads drive. Sunny warm day. Each of the three times that I opened/closed the top (while driving) I patted myself on the back for foregoing the Spyder manual top.

I have been Boxster-less for way too long.

Last edited by hf1; 04-04-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:23 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hf1
Took it out of storage couple of days ago and got my first chance to stretch its legs on some back-roads here. Some thoughts I had as I drove:

- Is there a better back-roads car at any price? To me, probably not. It wears around you like a jump suit and gently excites your senses without being even a little overbearing.
- PASM and Sport (Chrono) mode are worth it. Stock (non-PSE) sound is amazing especially above 4k rpm. Not sure I would want it any different or louder.
- Heated seats (sports plus) are totally worth it. First drive was on a 39F cloudy late PM on deserted backroads. Top down, bundled up wife in passenger seat (a trouper!), ski hat, seat, and air heat FULL ON. What fun!
- Yesterday took it to a (touchless) carwash, lunch with friends, and back-roads drive. Sunny warm day. Each of the three times that I opened/closed the top (while driving) I patted myself on the back for foregoing the Spyder manual top.

I could not have said it better, on all counts.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:49 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Each of the three times that I opened/closed the top (while driving) I patted myself on the back for foregoing the Spyder manual top.

A friend's '10 base Boxster led me to get rid of my 997.2 S and start my love affair with mid engine Porsches. My god they are just so much more fun. Anyway, I've been Boxster-less for almost a year now. All 3 of mine have been Spyders, starting with the RS60 and ending with the 981 Spyder. I miss the RS60 the most, and does not have a manual top!!! Agree the 987 Spyder top is a total PITA, but that car is perfect everywhere else. Miss that one too. If I could snap my fingers and bring back all my Spyders, I'd gladly get rid of my 991.2 Targa 4S and GT4 to make room.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:19 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts

I can't wait for later this month.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:09 PM
BobRx
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hf1

I did something similar to you, was searching for a 981 but ended up buying a 2008 RS 60. Love the driving experience! Also love the Sport Chrono and the PSE. The sounds it makes are intoxicating!

Quick Reply: Finished my 981 Boxster search — picked up a 987 😀