Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dundon GT3 Muffler Adapter Kit for 981

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 09:55 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts
Default Dundon GT3 Muffler Adapter Kit for 981

Hi All,

First foray out of the GT4/Spyder Subforum so be kind...

Just wanted to let you all know our 981 development is in full swing.

First up is the GT3 Muffler adapter kit.
  • Full 321 Stainless Steel construction
  • Valves sourced from Porsches OEM supplier
  • Full 2.5" from header flange to muffler outlet!
  • Muffler is attached to the back of the transmission and supported completely.
  • Straps are optional
This includes an option for 200cpsi catalytic converters. We did this so that our Race Headers on the GT4 could be catted.
The benefit to doing it this way, is you get to extract the most power possible and not lose much at all by putting the catalysts (in our tests even at very high power levels, it's only 3-4 whp).

Some of you have watched our development on the GT4 platform with our 4 into 1 Race Headers, recently released Intake Runners, and now the GT3 muffler adapter kit. The 3.4L 981 is next up for some Dundon love! The plan is to release the rest of the suite for the 981S this quarter (and possibly GTS). 987.2 is slated for Q219.

https://www.dundonmotorsports.com/pe...r-981?carid=41
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 01-19-2019, 12:00 AM
khoahtran
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have pictures of the catted version?
Old 01-19-2019, 12:47 AM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by khoahtran
Do you have pictures of the catted version?
Will put them up on Monday. The short straight piece is replaced with the cats.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:58 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,504 Likes on 566 Posts

Very curious what you will get out of the 3.4L. I assume there won't be a difference in products for S and GTS though as the ECU is the only real difference between them from an engine perspective. In terms of character the smaller of the flat sixes is actually the more exiting one IMHO, so if we could get closer to 400 PS there could be a considerable market for it. Then again they are cheaper cars so the ratio of mod price to the value of the car may be an issue.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:17 AM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JCviggen
Very curious what you will get out of the 3.4L. I assume there won't be a difference in products for S and GTS though as the ECU is the only real difference between them from an engine perspective. In terms of character the smaller of the flat sixes is actually the more exiting one IMHO, so if we could get closer to 400 PS there could be a considerable market for it. Then again they are cheaper cars so the ratio of mod price to the value of the car may be an issue.
We’re estimating the entire package will be in that ballpark. We’ll start testing in February and will keep everyone updated.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:40 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,504 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
We’re estimating the entire package will be in that ballpark. We’ll start testing in February and will keep everyone updated.
Subscribed ;-)

Just wondering, are you guys focused on using the GT3 muffler upgrade in order to avoid any drone etc while gaining performance? Aftermarket GT3 exhausts seem to be able to improve on it power wise so if one were to use a more run of the mill free flowing exhaust there could be a little more power to be had? I'm building a race car so noise is not much of an obstacle but the overall cost of the GT3 solution is a bit much for what it's supposed to do...
Old 01-21-2019, 02:39 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JCviggen
Subscribed ;-)

Just wondering, are you guys focused on using the GT3 muffler upgrade in order to avoid any drone etc while gaining performance? Aftermarket GT3 exhausts seem to be able to improve on it power wise so if one were to use a more run of the mill free flowing exhaust there could be a little more power to be had? I'm building a race car so noise is not much of an obstacle but the overall cost of the GT3 solution is a bit much for what it's supposed to do...
Correct, avoiding drone, and keeping the car livable with a muffler. For a 981 race car with no dB restrictions, you can do straight pipes (we've made one for a customer in the past and it is definitely loud!). And GT3 exhausts aren't really improving on the OEM muffler for HP, all of the exhausts that replace the muffler are predominantly "sound" mods. Our Lifetime GT3 muffler helps a bit with flow, but it's more for longevity and sound, it's the headers that help to make power on GT3's...
Old 01-24-2019, 01:14 PM
krispe
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Really interested in your 981 3.4L modifications. I have a Cayman GTS and would love to get close to 400ps and >300ft lbs from the 3.4. Do you think your new intake runners will work on the 3.4? Why do you use a 4-1 collector on your race headers rather than 3-1? I would need to run 200cel cats on my car due to annual emissions tests here in the UK.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:36 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by krispe
Really interested in your 981 3.4L modifications. I have a Cayman GTS and would love to get close to 400ps and >300ft lbs from the 3.4. Do you think your new intake runners will work on the 3.4? Why do you use a 4-1 collector on your race headers rather than 3-1? I would need to run 200cel cats on my car due to annual emissions tests here in the UK.
The intake runners we want to tweak for the 3.4L as they're made for the 3.8L currently, but that won't take long, just need to get the 3.4L 981 we have in the stable in for testing. It is next up!

We use a 4-1 collector as our approach to exhaust tuning isn't just about flow, it's about resonant wave tuning. The 4th tube is what helps create more power and torque that typical 3-1 headers.

200cel cats are an option on our GT3 Muffler Adapter Kit, so you can have the power of race headers and not give up street driving!

Jamie
Old 01-25-2019, 09:53 AM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports

987.2 is slated for Q219.
Can't wait until you show the 987.2 some love! Please make sure you test on a pdk car. I'm ready to make my exhaust purchase put want to wait to see what you guys craft up given your awesome parts for the gt3, gt4 and now the 981!
Old 01-25-2019, 01:57 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gman3280
Can't wait until you show the 987.2 some love! Please make sure you test on a pdk car. I'm ready to make my exhaust purchase put want to wait to see what you guys craft up given your awesome parts for the gt3, gt4 and now the 981!
+1
Old 02-02-2019, 10:44 PM
MC129
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Subscribed!

Last edited by MC129; 04-17-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Dundon GT3 Muffler Adapter Kit for 981