Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spyder 981 long gears?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 08:40 PM
Gdub
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Spyder 981 long gears?

Hi all i have been viewing all 2015 and 2016 Spyders on you tube trying to gain more knowledge on these p cars. One thing that is brought up over and over is gearing is long and most are not happy with it. Now i get it if you were tracking your car mabey shorter gears are better. My question is with weekend use where even your hardest driving which is in very short burst's is it something to be concerned about. I can't imagine porsche would get this wrong. I think the gearing in my 1979 911SC was nicer than my 1998 carrera 2S now we are talking five speed and six speed. Anyway i would like your take and knowledge. Thank's.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:26 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

The gearing might only be of concern if you like to row gears just for the "cool factor".......if not drive and enjoy the flat 6 symphony from second gear ...........Phil
Old 01-19-2019, 05:16 AM
Boxster7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Totally not a problem for me.
Ive racked up 17k miles in mine, and I’ve been smiling all the way.
I guess it’s just how you like to drive.
Ive done a couple of Euro tours down to the Swiss Alps and it’s epic... Honestly can’t think of a better car for me to drive.

The only way to be sure is to book a test ride.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:39 AM
bvanlieu
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil T
The gearing might only be of concern if you like to row gears just for the "cool factor".......if not drive and enjoy the flat 6 symphony from second gear ...........Phil
But that is the crux of the problem if you will: it is harder to hear the symphony above 6500 MPH as you are waaay too illegal.

To me this is done so its not quicker then the halo car, pure and simple. There is no reason 2nd needs to redline > 70 MPH. #NotaVette

Doesn't make it less fun: we do enjoy the 981 and what are you going to do, change it? Nope.

Just have to be more careful when opening it up.

- b
Old 01-19-2019, 10:15 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

In the US there was only the 2016 Spyder. Nonetheless I owned one. The tall gearing did take away from some of the fun. It makes the car a little less perfect. Aesthetically the car is perfect. In sound and visceral sensations none better. In driving, I actually preferred the Cayman R I traded for it. Not to mention the 987 R's steering had loads more feel.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:03 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes, the gearing IS tall! It frustrates the hell out because when you wind it up, the soundtrack is super cool! But, winding up means, you're at 82 (mph) in 2nd! The third tops at 116. If you get busted, you'll be facing one pissed off cop! Been there!

However, the tall gearing is the ONLY blemish in otherwise perfect package! I mean, it is perfect! So, I make some adjustments in my expectations and choose the right occasions to hit the redline. Luckily, it is fun to drive at street-legal speeds as well. And, no, Porsche didn't get this wrong. The gearing is by design. Depending on your viewpoint, that reasoning could be regulations or restraining the model's performance, etc. In case you were wondering, 987 Spyder isn't much different. I believe the 2nd tops around 77; hardly any different, practically.

In summary, I would say, don't let this only negative (granted, a big one) stop you from getting one. With subtle tweaks in your expectations and execution, the Spyder is the one to have!
Old 01-20-2019, 12:09 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Tall gearing was a frequent complaint heard often when the car first debuted. Now, three years on, you don't hear as many gripes about it. Not sure if this is because folks have simply become used to it or feel it's unnecessary to keep raising the same concern. Sometimes things that bug us initially eventually turn into positives -- or at least become non-negatives -- once we give the product a chance. The majority of my miles are spirited canyon drives and short road trips. It's never been an issue for me and I have no complaints about the gearing, but there's no doubt that many did, especially early on, and still do.

As Shaun indicated, some time behind the wheel will tell you if it's a factor for you (although it can understandably be difficult to find a car to drive).
Old 01-20-2019, 12:20 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

OP, to add some perspective to Henry's post above, note that Henry is on record here as someone who redlines every shift. Yep. He's our resident mad man when it comes to shifting . . . or, more appropriately, not shifting!

If your are like the rest of us and routinely shift in the 4000 - 6,500 range or thereabouts, you won't reach the extreme speeds Henry notes and I think you will be less inclined to find the gearing unbearably tall.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:57 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Sure the gearing is tall and there's a soft spot in midrange before the vtec cuts in yo!. All designed to make claims relative to the 911.

Doesn't bug me, the spyder is the last car I'd sell in a catastrophe. Both issues easily remedied if they bug you enough.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:37 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Heres the real deal if you do canyons: it's 2-3, mostly 2, since you an do near 80. yeah, the gears are long. On track the gearing works OK (depends on the track).
Old 01-20-2019, 03:54 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
............... Yep. He's our resident mad man when it comes to shifting . . . or, more appropriately, not shifting!
I take that as a compliment, Nick!!

Originally Posted by Jamie140
...........the spyder is the last car I'd sell in a catastrophe. ...............
That's quite a statement, Jamie, considering your collection! Though I don't have such a collection, I share the same sentiments that the Spyder can be the last and the only sports car I'll ever need!
Old 01-20-2019, 04:07 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts

Pretty much the same speed in gears as my 6GT3 was so I skipped it. Hoping for PDK this time around to get the lower gearing.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:19 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

It is badly twisted that the PDK has lower gearing than the MT! If anything, MT should have tightly stacked (at least lower 3), short throw setup. Sometimes, I fail to understand the rational, if any, of otherwise smart people!!

Last edited by spyderphile; 01-22-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:10 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It’s really perfect for the twisty back roads. 60-100mph average. Down to 2nd for the tighter stuff, third for the exit, and 4th for the big straits. 3 years and counting! And my track car is a 987... love them both.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:20 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Re-reading my response I didn't really complete my thought.

I agree that its pretty good for most canyons. You won't find yourself doing a lot of 2-3 shifting though, but, the torque and power band are really nice with this car, and with the top down, well the noise is awesome.

Quick Reply: Spyder 981 long gears?