Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Cayman S Mod Help/Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 10:58 AM
981CaymanS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 981 Cayman S Mod Help/Suggestions

Track season is slowly approaching and so I decided to get an early start with modding my 2014 981 Cayman S. After reading through the countless threads I've come across a couple of modifications that I would like to add to my car.

I was looking at a couple of suspension mods/bracing that should help stiffen up the car. I've found these 4 off of Schnell Autosports website.
http://www.schnellautosports.com/por...1-997-gt3.html
http://www.schnellautosports.com/por...r-for-981.html
http://www.schnellautosports.com/por...exclusive.html
http://www.schnellautosports.com/por...exclusive.html

I was wondering if this was all the necessary modifications to install these parts. Also if anyone has any of these parts on their car if they would like to give some feedback that would be much appreciated.

I also read some people put x73 springs over the pasm suspension but can't find the thread anymore. I already have the dsc v3 controller and hoping springs would help.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:25 AM
bminingham
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

The X73 kit comes with upgraded sway bars. I suggest you swap for that and save some cash.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:36 AM
981CaymanS
Track Day

Thank you for your reply, unfortunately I already have the dsc v3 controller for the pasm and it really shines on these NYC roads. I just want to make my car a perform slightly sharper in the turns. Since this is my daily I'm not trying to go all out on track car.

-Eli
Old 01-16-2019, 11:45 AM
bminingham
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

ah in that case i'd go for the sway bars and the X73 springs - forget the other stuff if you arent tracking seriously. I can only speak to the entire X73 package and its fantastic on my CT roads.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:53 AM
981CaymanS
Track Day

Originally Posted by bminingham
ah in that case i'd go for the sway bars and the X73 springs - forget the other stuff if you arent tracking seriously. I can only speak to the entire X73 package and its fantastic on my CT roads.
Yeah thats what I figured what route I should take, thank you. I know the x73 package is amazing but where I live you need the adjustable shocks. I've read mixed reviews about putting x73 springs on pasm. Just looking to see if thats the right route to go or if I should go buy some H & R springs.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:38 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by 981CaymanS
I just want to make my car a perform slightly sharper in the turns. Since this is my daily I'm not trying to go all out on track car.

-Eli
There are different methods to make a car turn in sharper. One of the most direct method is to get an alignment done and max out the negative camber at the front strut tower slots. Then set the front toe to zero or slight toe out.
Sway bars can make the turn-in sharper via weight transfer. Installing front sway bar on a 981 subsequently requires an alignment anyway.
Using DSC to soften front damper calibration and stiffening the rear damper calibration will also make turn-in sharper.
Lowing front tire pressure can make turn-in sharper.
Holding the brake pedal ever so slightly during turn-in will also make turn-in sharper.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:00 PM
981CaymanS
Track Day

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
There are different methods to make a car turn in sharper. One of the most direct method is to get an alignment done and max out the negative camber at the front strut tower slots. Then set the front toe to zero or slight toe out.
Sway bars can make the turn-in sharper via weight transfer. Installing front sway bar on a 981 subsequently requires an alignment anyway.
Using DSC to soften front damper calibration and stiffening the rear damper calibration will also make turn-in sharper.
Lowing front tire pressure can make turn-in sharper.
Holding the brake pedal ever so slightly during turn-in will also make turn-in sharper.
Thank you for your help. I plan on getting an alignment once I figure out which sway bars and reinforcement it may need. I just don't want to waste my money on parts that wont positively impact the handling.

-Eli
Old 01-16-2019, 05:41 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

You'll need more than alignment unless you already have GT3 type LCA's. Camber needs to be -2.5+ for best balance and turn in up front, IMO. Stock parts won't get you there.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:06 AM
futurz
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the total TPC package on my '14 981S. I have their DSC controller, Tractive Shocks, sway bars, and GT4 rods in the rear. Its a little pricey but since you already have PASM (I didn't so this package cost me a bundle because of the extra wiring, etc that had to be done) adding this to your car shouldn't be too bad. My car is almost exclusively for the track so I have their recommended full track alignment.
Other Cayman drivers (who are better drivers than me) are in awe with my suspension. There are a lot of GT4 cars out here that haven't bested my times. You could dial back your alignment a little (Tom will give you the specs) for combo street/track driving and you are going to be very pleased with what your car is capable of.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:18 AM
AZWCat
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 23 Posts

I have X73 springs with PASM and it’s a great combo. I think you’ll really like the adjustability for street and track use.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:16 AM
981CaymanS
Track Day

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
You'll need more than alignment unless you already have GT3 type LCA's. Camber needs to be -2.5+ for best balance and turn in up front, IMO. Stock parts won't get you there.
I figured thats the way to go. I'm going to start with sway bars and suspension and work my way up to LCA's in the future.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:19 AM
981CaymanS
Track Day

Originally Posted by futurz
I have the total TPC package on my '14 981S. I have their DSC controller, Tractive Shocks, sway bars, and GT4 rods in the rear. Its a little pricey but since you already have PASM (I didn't so this package cost me a bundle because of the extra wiring, etc that had to be done) adding this to your car shouldn't be too bad. My car is almost exclusively for the track so I have their recommended full track alignment.
Other Cayman drivers (who are better drivers than me) are in awe with my suspension. There are a lot of GT4 cars out here that haven't bested my times. You could dial back your alignment a little (Tom will give you the specs) for combo street/track driving and you are going to be very pleased with what your car is capable of.
I'm going to PM, thanks for the all the information. I only drive about 4-6 track days a year so I don't want to kill the drivability since this is my daily driver. I'll be looking over all the mods you recommended, there are so many directions to go with this car when it comes to modding. For a noob like me its a little overwhelming to say the least.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:20 AM
981CaymanS
Track Day

Originally Posted by AZWCat
I have X73 springs with PASM and it’s a great combo. I think you’ll really like the adjustability for street and track use.
Thanks the car definitely needs a slight drop and it will look perfect. Do you have a link where you bought the springs from?
Old 01-19-2019, 04:59 PM
Liquid911
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I had the X73 kit installed in my car when I bought it, as i wanted to use the car primarily on the track, whilst keeping running costs down. Coming from an RS the set up does feel rather soft, but as a once size fits all compromise it really can't be faulted. I could do with some adjustable LCA's to dial in more camber, but that then becomes a slippery slope, and defeats the purpose of me buying the cayman in the first place, i.e. relatively affordable track time. Get the X73 kit, you will be impressed. The added offshoot is that the stance is pretty good:-)

Old 03-03-2019, 11:59 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid911

I had the X73 kit installed in my car when I bought it, as i wanted to use the car primarily on the track, whilst keeping running costs down. Coming from an RS the set up does feel rather soft, but as a once size fits all compromise it really can't be faulted. I could do with some adjustable LCA's to dial in more camber, but that then becomes a slippery slope, and defeats the purpose of me buying the cayman in the first place, i.e. relatively affordable track time. Get the X73 kit, you will be impressed. The added offshoot is that the stance is pretty good:-)
Does adding the GT3 LCA make the ride any harsher?
BTW, love the look of your car and I just bought a Guards Red CS with X73. May I ask where you got your "Porsche" stripe??

Quick Reply: 981 Cayman S Mod Help/Suggestions