Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the CTEK cig light charger work or do I need to get the Porsche one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 02:45 PM
MerlinRS
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
ditto
Originally Posted by storii
Since the worst of winter is yet to come, it won't hurt to prep the car properly for hibernation. If the road conditions allow (i.e. no salt), pick a relatively warm day (about 40F) and drive it until the car gets to the operating temps (oil temp 190F+) to burn off condensation. Pick up a bottle of fuel stabilizer on your way to the gas station, fill up the tank, add the stabilizer and drive home. Inflate the tires to 50 psi, hook up the CTEK, put a cover on and you are done. Regarding your concern about possibly damaging your summer tires by driving in the cold, the following is what Michelin has to say:

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.
Originally Posted by Phil G.
Absolutely! This is what I have always done with my cars I've stored in my garage over the winter. I've used both Porsche Tequipment and CTEK chargers (they make the chargers for Porsche) with good results. I had the MUS 4.3 for my Boxster which worked fine.
Thanks guys! Good news: The CTEK MXS 5.0 combined with the CTEK Battery indicator plug works like a charm in the cig light socket! It did indicate that the battery was below 12.4 so definitely time for a charge. The weather is hovering around 30 - 35 Fahrenheit (-1* / +2* Celsius) and it's not getting much warmer soon, so I might take it out for a drive.

Do you keep the CTEK charger in the car (footmat) or outside because it develops heat?

Our streets have been salted quite a bit this week, how do you ensure that there is no more of it on the street? Does it go away at a certain temperature or when it rains?

Thank you for your help, Rennlist is truly the best
Old 01-17-2019, 02:55 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MerlinRS
Do you keep the CTEK charger in the car (footmat) or outside because it develops heat?

Our streets have been salted quite a bit this week, how do you ensure that there is no more of it on the street? Does it go away at a certain temperature or when it rains?
I keep my CTEK charger outside of the car so that I can easily monitor it every time I go into the garage.

You need to wait for a good soaking rain for the salt to get washed away. I would rather keep the car with 1/3 of tank than driving it on salted roads.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:36 PM
MerlinRS
Instructor

Talking

I keep my CTEK charger outside of the car so that I can easily monitor it every time I go into the garage.

You need to wait for a good soaking rain for the salt to get washed away. I would rather keep the car with 1/3 of tank than driving it on salted roads.
Thanks, I'll wait then. Does the charger get very hot? If not, I'd rather leave it inside, otherwise our cat is gonna play with it
Old 01-17-2019, 09:12 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

It may get warm to the touch, NOT hot. You could probably leave in foot well. Sit it on something heat resistant - (diner plate?). I leave it outside the car so I can monitor that it's functioning okay.
BTW, I use a Battery Tender. Just as good as a CTEK, but less expensive.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:22 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

I just checked mine and it wasn't even warm to touch. I have the CTEK MUS 4.3 and it's been connected since early December. I know it's working fine since all the proper lights are on.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:13 AM
MerlinRS
Instructor

Originally Posted by DBH
It may get warm to the touch, NOT hot. You could probably leave in foot well. Sit it on something heat resistant - (diner plate?). I leave it outside the car so I can monitor that it's functioning okay.
BTW, I use a Battery Tender. Just as good as a CTEK, but less expensive.
I just checked mine and it wasn't even warm to touch. I have the CTEK MUS 4.3 and it's been connected since early December. I know it's working fine since all the proper lights are on.
Thanks guys Everything is working fine now and the car is already fully charged. I'll put a diner plate under it. You guys are amazing. I'm writing a little journal on my car which I'll update in two weeks again:
Driving my first Porsche through the Swiss Alps

Old 01-18-2019, 08:32 AM
ruth
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Not a battery minder issue, but, Keep watch if you put a cover on your car. In an unheated garage, there is the problem of condensation beneath the cover with a warm spell after a cold period. Happened to us.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:30 PM
MerlinRS
Instructor

Originally Posted by ruth
Not a battery minder issue, but, Keep watch if you put a cover on your car. In an unheated garage, there is the problem of condensation beneath the cover with a warm spell after a cold period. Happened to us.
Thanks a lot, I was not aware of that! What happened to the paint? At the moment, I put a small blanket on the hood amd top because my cat sleeps on it but no full cover.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:35 PM
ruth
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

No damage, just moisture. Took the cover off until everything in the garage was dry, then put it back on when it got cold. Off again now with the storm and rain this morning. We’ll put it back tomorrow.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:46 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MerlinRS
Thanks a lot, I was not aware of that! What happened to the paint? At the moment, I put a small blanket on the hood amd top because my cat sleeps on it but no full cover.
Not only a full cover keeps dust from the car, but it will help to deter rodents from entering the car that can cause significant damages. Using a snug full cover during the hibernation is highly recommended.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:54 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Here's a recent notice from Suncoast about the need on some models to make sure to lock the doors when the car is on the tender, otherwise risk the cigarette socket becoming disabled.

Quick Reply: Does the CTEK cig light charger work or do I need to get the Porsche one?