Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need quick education on base 987.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 10:26 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Need quick education on base 987.2

Hi all,

I am looking to add another sports car and no surprise Caymans are on the short list. What is unclear to me is where the base 2009 987.2 Cayman stands with respect to:
* IMS
* Oil starvation issues
* Anything else that will significantly impact the occasional track day?

I don't currently track any of my cars but would like to dual purpose a Cayman to be a daily driver plus very occasional track car (2-3x/year). What is not clear to me is where the 987.2 base stands with respect to IMS. I understand it is NOT a DFI motor (unlike the S variant) but I have not been able to find much else beside that. Is is susceptible to IMS failure? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!
Dave
Old 01-14-2019, 11:55 AM
mjdavis
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The 987.2 with the 2.9L engine shares the same engine architecture as the rest of the 9A1 engine family, with the notable exception of the fuel injection system. The 2.9 uses EFI (with a fuel rail) like the old M96 engines, and the bigger 9A1s use DFI. So, there is no IMS shaft or bearing, the oil system is upgraded (more pumps), and the cooling system is upgraded. In other words, the main issues with M96 track cars have been addressed. There are many stock 2.9L engines running thousands of miles on track with no upgrades and no issues.

Many people upgrade the brakes (although the rears can remain stock with no problem), and the suspension should be stiffer to make the car more responsive to transitions on track. My personal view is that the motor is the last thing that needs an upgrade on these cars, and even then, the best upgrade is probably a 3.8L from BGB.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:38 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdavis
The 987.2 with the 2.9L engine shares the same engine architecture as the rest of the 9A1 engine family, with the notable exception of the fuel injection system. The 2.9 uses EFI (with a fuel rail) like the old M96 engines, and the bigger 9A1s use DFI. So, there is no IMS shaft or bearing, the oil system is upgraded (more pumps), and the cooling system is upgraded. In other words, the main issues with M96 track cars have been addressed. There are many stock 2.9L engines running thousands of miles on track with no upgrades and no issues.

Many people upgrade the brakes (although the rears can remain stock with no problem), and the suspension should be stiffer to make the car more responsive to transitions on track. My personal view is that the motor is the last thing that needs an upgrade on these cars, and even then, the best upgrade is probably a 3.8L from BGB.
Thank you - this is exactly the info I was looking for.

Quick Reply: Need quick education on base 987.2