Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild 3.4L engine. Increase displacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 07:41 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Rebuild 3.4L engine. Increase displacement

The engine is at the shop ready for a rebuild. I don’t want to end up with the same displacement. Since I am having it bored and sleeved, I have plenty of options regarding the bore and stroke.

Present configuration is 96 bore x 78 stroke, thus 3387cc.

Options are: piston = 99.1 or 100, or 102. Rod = 76.4, 78, 81.5 or 83

I’m most interested in torque as I want a street machine and don’t want to go all of the way to a 3.8 as that would require ECU mapping.

Looks like I have 2 viable options:
If I go to 100 x 76.4, it is 3600 (basic 996)
If I go to 100 x 78, it’ 3675 (MY Selection)

What do you see as the Pros and Cons for them? Is there another combo that would be better?
Old 01-13-2019, 12:24 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 01-13-2019, 12:46 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

What does the shop recommend based on their experience? Is 93 octane readily available and are you willing to feed it to your car? Previous mods? 3.4s are high compression engines before modification, changing the bore and especially the stroke affects compression ratio. Without proper tuning you risk driving a hand grenade and are missing out on cheap horsepower.

Rods don't determine stroke, the distance between the centerlines of the main journals and the rod journals on the crankshaft (times 2) determines stroke. Crankshafts with longer than stock strokes might require shorter rods so you don't push the pistons into the head / valves.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:46 PM
Voyager6
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure the shop gets compression ratio correct. It may require decking the heads (76mm stroke) or opening up the combustion chambers with same stroke/larger pistons.

V6
Old 01-13-2019, 06:14 PM
Quix
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
What does the shop recommend based on their experience? Is 93 octane readily available and are you willing to feed it to your car? Previous mods? 3.4s are high compression engines before modification, changing the bore and especially the stroke affects compression ratio. Without proper tuning you risk driving a hand grenade and are missing out on cheap horsepower.

Rods don't determine stroke, the distance between the centerlines of the main journals and the rod journals on the crankshaft (times 2) determines stroke. Crankshafts with longer than stock strokes might require shorter rods so you don't push the pistons into the head / valves.
Please say more about this: "missing out on cheap horsepower."
Old 01-15-2019, 01:14 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Quix
Please say more about this: "missing out on cheap horsepower."
Dyno charts indicate a Cobb flash and protune is the cheapest HP per HP available for pcars. Stock settings are conservative and not designed to adapt to major mods. Spending 10-15K+ on a rebuild but leaving out the 1K flash seems folly IMO.

Quick Reply: Rebuild 3.4L engine. Increase displacement