Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

71k obo for my Beautiful Spyder

Old 01-16-2019, 11:04 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by John D.
You know - I've seen a whole lot of For Sale ads on Rennlist through the years - and that's a whole lot of years with a whole lot of threads - and, I think I can say that, as I posted the first post ever to PorscheList/Rennlist. So - let me tell you how this is going to play out.. To the OP, either be serious about selling your car here - or sell it on eBay - I could really care less. That includes being responsive to real questions with real answers - or take your ad elsewhere.

To those who have expressed a real interest with bonafide questions - this shouldn't be a game of "hide & seek" for answers from previous threads made by the OP.

I'd suggest strongly that this thread gets real - and real quickly.

Have a great day,

John D.
Thanks for jumping in, John. I was following this thread late last night.

This is a good example of how not to sell your car. Poor marketing techniques and a questionable attitude do nothing to instill confidence in a buyer. However, it can be done, and executed with common sense and grace; it's really not that hard.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:08 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Well said @Mark in Baltimore ... This really shouldn't be this difficult..??!!!

Anyway - my best to you - and thanks for all you do!

John D.
Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Thanks for jumping in, John. I was following this thread late last night.

This is a good example of how not to sell your car. Poor marketing techniques and a questionable attitude do nothing to instill confidence in a buyer. However, it can be done, and executed with common sense and grace; it's really not that hard.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:44 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 520 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Might be the strangest for sale thread I've seen, but the price is so good that I don't think it'll matter. I'd almost buy it sight unseen for that price. I suspect it'll be gone inside of a week. Good luck to the seller.
You nailed it on reply #10 vbb. Chances are that we were all thinking it was strange, but you called it right away.
The strange hasn't gone away either.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:58 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Okay Okay, I'm keeping her. She'll be a garage queen. Just I have 4 cars now and that's a lot IMHO. Sale is over folks.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:32 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
. Sale is over folks.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:29 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

This was only slightly more entertaining to read than the 982 GT4/Spyder engine thread.

I wish spring would come.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:31 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

Delete. I don't need to participate in this sheet show.

Last edited by SpyderSenseOC; 01-16-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:09 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts

I dunno,

Sounds like a car that needs $3-5K that was being priced what, $20K under market? Under warranty, and with New York consumer law protecting you in case it had a Toyota engine under the cover. What's the worst that could have happened to a buyer?

Agree the general circumstances are a bit odd, but not in a fishy title way. I don't think the poster's people skills are too strong, on the other hand, she has a great car and has a very reasonable idea why it's underpriced. I'd give the lady a break here, it's all part of the Porsche experience.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:26 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by andy7777
I don't think the poster's people skills are too strong, on the other hand, she has a great car and has a very reasonable idea why it's underpriced. I'd give the lady a break here, it's all part of the Porsche experience.
He.

Pretty sure the car is in California.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:43 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

is this, has this been a technical discussion? check the forums drop down menu, it says "water cooled technical discussion areas", then you move over to the "987-981 forum" and then we have the OP trying to sell a car and then the RListers get going with commentary, issues with the car, pontifications, back and forths, to and fros, he said/she said and sprinkled with first world problems; approaching embarrassment. The OP, as has been noted, should (should've) post(ed) a proper For Sale ad in the Rennlist classified forum.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:59 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by grgallo
is this, has this been a technical discussion? check the forums drop down menu, it says "water cooled technical discussion areas", then you move over to the "987-981 forum" and then we have the OP trying to sell a car and then the RListers get going with commentary, issues with the car, pontifications, back and forths, to and fros, he said/she said and sprinkled with first world problems; approaching embarrassment. The OP, as has been noted, should (should've) post(ed) a proper For Sale ad in the Rennlist classified forum.
Of course it hasn't been a technical discussion, and yes, technically this thread should have never been posted in this section. It should have been a proper classified ad, meeting with all of the classified posting rules, and put in the classified section. So from that standpoint, this has been a 5 page waste of time. But to be fair, for many of the specialty, more rare Porsches, the community of owners and potential buyers is even smaller than the Porsche community as a whole, and it is not uncommon for GT3, GT4 and Spyder owners to give their own sub-forum a head's up that a car is about to go up for sale, and give those sub-forum readers first crack at making the deal. It's like a community within a community. I don't fault the OP for posting up that he was looking to sell his Spyder in the 987-981 subforum or trying to sell his car on here rather than an eBay or autotrader. We're part of a very small group that even knows what the Spyder is. It's like real estate agents that always know when the best properties are going to hit the market even before they're listed.

But of course, what happened over these last 5 pages has been nothing short of ridiculous.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by andy7777
I dunno,

Sounds like a car that needs $3-5K that was being priced what, $20K under market? Under warranty, and with New York consumer law protecting you in case it had a Toyota engine under the cover. What's the worst that could have happened to a buyer?
No way a car with that mileage is anywhere near a $91k car even if in great condition. I have a better spec Sypder than that, in perfect condition, with about 3,500 miles on it and I don't think I could get $91k for it today.

And it sounds like the repair cost, just what was known, was more than $5k. And no test drive. And given the condition of the car, it wouldn't be a stretch to assume the car hasn't exactly been well cared for by the owner.

And warranty? How much of that is left? At most 2 years, likely closer to 1? And if there is damage, warranty doesn't apply. You wouldn't want a test drive and DME on a car, particularly one that doesn't appear to have been well cared for?

My guess is that this car would sell for $65-70k, if it was available for full inspection and passed all the mechanicals. In no way does it sound like a screaming deal, particularly given the lack of information available to the buyer.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:12 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
No way a car with that mileage is anywhere near a $91k car even if in great condition. I have a better spec Sypder than that, in perfect condition, with about 3,500 miles on it and I don't think I could get $91k for it today.

And it sounds like the repair cost, just what was known, was more than $5k. And no test drive. And given the condition of the car, it wouldn't be a stretch to assume the car hasn't exactly been well cared for by the owner.

And warranty? How much of that is left? At most 2 years, likely closer to 1? And if there is damage, warranty doesn't apply. You wouldn't want a test drive and DME on a car, particularly one that doesn't appear to have been well cared for?

My guess is that this car would sell for $65-70k, if it was available for full inspection and passed all the mechanicals. In no way does it sound like a screaming deal, particularly given the lack of information available to the buyer.
Agree. and I suspect the dealer (or the harasser) offered in that ball park or less, which is why it was posted on here......
Old 01-16-2019, 08:19 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey folks,

I thought I'd leave this thread open for a while to let folks express their opinions and such. And, glad I did for a bit. For now - however - this thread is now closed. I think we all have more productive things to do and talk about. Or, at least I know I do...

Have a great evening,

John D.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 71k obo for my Beautiful Spyder