Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

71k obo for my Beautiful Spyder

Old 01-16-2019, 08:39 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

There's "not being a people person" and there's "not really wanting to sell your car." I think OP is the latter, not the former. I think we all thought telling someone to just read through former posts rather than actually posting up a description of the car, condition, and options was a bit odd, but then to disparage a potential buyer because he didn't "deserve" to purchase your car simply due to asking a lot of questions and wanting a test drive/ride? Come on. I get it... Porsche buyers in particular can be very exacting and demand perfection. These cars bring out a lot of tire kickers who seem to act horrified that a car has been used or driven, which is frustrating for a seller. But every car has a price, and if priced right, people will look past imperfections to get a good deal, especially if they plan on actually driving the car.

OP, if you're serious about selling your car, I have no doubts you can do so. A few pictures, a description of the imperfections, and allowing a potential buyer to pay for a PPI (at their expense of course) would go a very long way. Simply washing and vacuuming the car up would help. I just hope you understand that before anyone drops the money on what is an expensive purchase to most people (even at $70K that's more than the median household income for a family of 4 in about 99% of the United States), they're going to have some questions and you shouldn't get annoyed by that.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:48 AM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This ∆∆∆
Old 01-16-2019, 09:03 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Wow, Probably would have went better if my Local dealer didn't start PMing my buyer. I want to sell. I really want to. PEOPLE HERE DONT UNDERSTAND THAT PORSCHE RIVERSIDE IS HARASSING me and I NEED to remove myself from the Pool of Porsche owners So yes, I don't Want to sell. I HAVE to sell. Why do you think my price so cheap?

I don't consider it a Project car. LOL.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:10 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Wacky (non)ad makes more sense now.

OP, you actually thought you’d sell the car without letting a buyer drive, or even ride in, it?
This is incredible, After disparaging the car for almost an hour, and I thought perhaps that this isn't going anywhere, and so why should I let this guy drive my car? It's raining.... And Frankly, I thought we would drive to the bank to settle the transactions. Tough crowd. Which is why I want out of this place. BUY MY CAR!.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:23 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David Robin
Not serious? I drove 3 hours (each way) with a cashier's check in hand. I wanted this to work out more than anyone. I'm crazy disappointed that it did not. But you've got to understand this is a very unusual listing and sale. I think everyone here would agree with that. The reason I was caught up in the cosmetics was because you made zero mentions of them. You say you were upfront about wanting this to be an as-is sale... and wanting a no hassle sale... and that is completely true. But at no time did you tell anyone here the current condition of the car. You just said to read through past posts... and I read through every single one. They do not give an idea of the current condition of the car.

So yeah, when we arrived we were caught off guard... and it took us some time to wrap our heads around this new situation... and what course of action we wanted to take. We called a detail shop and auto body shop to get an idea of what it would take to fix the damages. We wouldn't have wasted our time on that if we were not serious. We were actually going to ask if you would take another $1000 off to cover the costs of fixing the paint issues, when you came out of the house and decided we weren't worthy.

As for the mechanices... I asked if we could test drive, and you declined, I asked if you could drive us in the car, and you declined. Your response was, "I didn't get to test drive it when I bought it." It was a brand new car at the time. Then you asked, "where's the trust." This is a $70k purchase... i don't think a test drive is that outlandish of a request. In fact I think it is pretty standard with every single car purchase. That said... the car started fine, he pulled it into the garage fine, so I have no reason to think there are any issues with the vehicle mechanically.

Anyway, I think if you had taken even a few pics, or given a description of the issues, you would have made it a lot easier on everyone. My post is actually keeping you from having to go through the same exact things with the next guy.
David, yes, everything you said was true. I'm apologizing it didn't turn out as you envisioned. I tried to communicate to you my lack of social skills. I grew up in a car family, with a lot full of cars so I may have a different register for these matters. We are talking about a 3 plus year old car produced in low numbers with an expectation of growth in value over decades. It's not a vw bug. I just expected more difference to the Spyder. Best car ever IMHO. It is still for sale.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:36 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Everyone here knows I owned TWO SPYDERS. My last Spyder was in the same shape if not worse after two accidents in parking lots and then there was the road debris that tore into the undercarriage. Didn't that car sell in the 90s just months ago? So there is money on table here which is why David raced down here.

If I wanted to take a bunch of pictures then wouldn't I be posting on EBAY? There is a reason I'm selling the car here: it's to expose the hypocrisy of this place. Where everyone is your best friend when you are looking or buying, but when you are selling or have a complaint, the nuts come out of the woodwork to stop you. For instance how many here are dealers hiding behind avatars??
Old 01-16-2019, 10:11 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Holy forking shirtballs.

Is this real life, or some kind of performance art?
Old 01-16-2019, 10:11 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,347 Likes on 673 Posts

did you take any photos of the damage? Thanks

Originally Posted by David Robin
The cosmetic condition of the car is the biggest issue. It was pretty filthy, inside and out. Here are the main issues I could see:
-There is some grey paint (or something similar) that got onto the hood, and front bumper. Whatever it was, it was corrosive, and has eaten through the clearcoat into the paint. It is not something that can be corrected, and would require a repaint. I called a bodyshop, and they estimated $2300 to paint the hood and bumper.
-The corner of the car behind the front wheels is damaged on both sides. The seller called it curb damage. The paint and the underlining structure are damaged/bent a bit. Not sure how much it would cost to fix. Some buyers might not care.
-There is a quarter size dent on the back trunk.
-There are numerous scratches all over the paint. The majority of these can probably be paint-corrected, and do not go all the way through the clear-coat. However a few do. I sent a video to my detail guy, and he thought he could buff most out.
-A couple of the wheels have curb rash. Not too terrible, I'd probably just live with it.
-There are some visible scratches on the fabric roof. Not sure if they can be cleaned up.
-There is a chip on the front hood, maybe 1-2CM in diameter.
-There are a couple other areas that have some paint rubbed off. Not as noticeable, and near the edges.

Interior:
-There are a number of stains, and things mashed into the alcantara seats. One of them is a couple inches in diameter, and seems like some sort of blue ink. I think most of these you could maybe wash out, but probably not completely. It does help that the alcantara is black.

Hope that helps. Let me know if any specific questions.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:25 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

You know - I've seen a whole lot of For Sale ads on Rennlist through the years - and that's a whole lot of years with a whole lot of threads - and, I think I can say that, as I posted the first post ever to PorscheList/Rennlist. So - let me tell you how this is going to play out.. To the OP, either be serious about selling your car here - or sell it on eBay - I could really care less. That includes being responsive to real questions with real answers - or take your ad elsewhere.

To those who have expressed a real interest with bonafide questions - this shouldn't be a game of "hide & seek" for answers from previous threads made by the OP.

I'd suggest strongly that this thread gets real - and real quickly.

Have a great day,

John D.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:28 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

The irony (or idiocy as some may call it) is that this isnt a for sale ad. Its not in the marketplace section. Its just in a general section. Which opened the door to all sorts of comments. Entertaining as it is.....
Old 01-16-2019, 10:30 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Right on @911therapy

Originally Posted by 911therapy
The irony (or idiocy as some may call it) is that this isnt a for sale ad. Its not in the marketplace section. Its just in a general section. Which opened the door to all sorts of comments. Entertaining as it is.....
Old 01-16-2019, 10:38 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

If you want out, why not take it to carmax and be done with it?

Odd.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:38 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Everyone here knows I owned TWO SPYDERS. My last Spyder was in the same shape if not worse after two accidents in parking lots and then there was the road debris that tore into the undercarriage. Didn't that car sell in the 90s just months ago? So there is money on table here which is why David raced down here.

If I wanted to take a bunch of pictures then wouldn't I be posting on EBAY? There is a reason I'm selling the car here: it's to expose the hypocrisy of this place. Where everyone is your best friend when you are looking or buying, but when you are selling or have a complaint, the nuts come out of the woodwork to stop you. For instance how many here are dealers hiding behind avatars??
First rule of digging: When you dig yourself into a hole, first stop digging. Maybe take a chill pill or meditate for a few mins. A few pics, a carwash, and a tad less ego would have easily sold your car here. No one is going to pay you $70k for a screaming cat in a bag because they’re your “friend”. That doesn’t make the world hypocritical or out to get you. Truth is, you’re not that important to other people — neither of us is.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:55 AM
por944trs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hf1

First rule of digging: When you dig yourself into a hole, first stop digging. Maybe take a chill pill or meditate for a few mins. A few pics, a carwash, and a tad less ego would have easily sold your car here. No one is going to pay you $70k for a screaming cat in a bag because they’re your “friend”. That doesn’t make the world hypocritical or out to get you. Truth is, you’re not that important to other people — neither of us is.
exactly well put...
Old 01-16-2019, 10:55 AM
David Robin
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Wow, Probably would have went better if my Local dealer didn't start PMing my buyer. I want to sell. I really want to. PEOPLE HERE DONT UNDERSTAND THAT PORSCHE RIVERSIDE IS HARASSING me and I NEED to remove myself from the Pool of Porsche owners So yes, I don't Want to sell. I HAVE to sell. Why do you think my price so cheap?

I don't consider it a Project car. LOL.
To be clear, this is not true. I called Riverside Porsche to ask on the status of the warranty. They were very polite, and told me the last services that were done there. They said they saw no issue with the warranty. They said nothing remotely negative about that car.

Calling it a project car might have been a little harsh. It just needs a massive detailing, some paint correction... and most importantly if you care about the paint/damage on the hood and bumper, that would need to be fixed.

As for saying you wouldn't let me test drive it after an hour of despairing remarks... that just isn't accurate. It was after about 20 minutes of looking over the car, asking some history, and calling a detail guy that we asked about getting a test drive. You said no, we started the car, you went inside for another 30 minutes while we called a body shop and discussed the purchase. Then you came out and said goodbye.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 71k obo for my Beautiful Spyder