Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

71k obo for my Beautiful Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 08:52 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Awesome. Thank you. How did you obtain that? Are you an insider or can the general public access those build sheets?
type your vin # in here:

https://vinanalytics.com/
Old 01-15-2019, 09:01 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,897 Likes on 940 Posts

I too stalked the posts...not easy, prob not the best way to sell, but its "Cheap" so maybe worth the effort.

I deducted original owner, with a 12/14/2015 warranty start date, meaning ~11 months remaining
Silver was the original car purchased, followed by the Red
All accidents seemed to be from the Red car
Maybe a flat tire or wheel damage at one point.
Spent time on both coasts, racked up miles making the drive a few times.
Seems like a great deal.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:58 PM
David Robin
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all, I was the buyer that fell through, so I thought I'd give some feedback to help potential buyers (and honestly the seller) from wasting their time.

We had negotiated a price, I had cashier's check in hand and drove 3 hours from Santa Barbara to Riverside to get the car. Unfortunately this car is not in great shape. That's to be expected given the price and mileage... but had I had all relevant info, it sure would have helped.

The cosmetic condition of the car is the biggest issue. It was pretty filthy, inside and out. Here are the main issues I could see:

Externally:
-There is some grey paint (or something similar) that got onto the hood, and front bumper. Whatever it was, it was corrosive, and has eaten through the clearcoat into the paint. It is not something that can be corrected, and would require a repaint. I called a bodyshop, and they estimated $2300 to paint the hood and bumper.
-The corner of the car behind the front wheels is damaged on both sides. The seller called it curb damage. The paint and the underlining structure are damaged/bent a bit. Not sure how much it would cost to fix. Some buyers might not care.
-There is a quarter size dent on the back trunk.
-There are numerous scratches all over the paint. The majority of these can probably be paint-corrected, and do not go all the way through the clear-coat. However a few do. I sent a video to my detail guy, and he thought he could buff most out.
-A couple of the wheels have curb rash. Not too terrible, I'd probably just live with it.
-There are some visible scratches on the fabric roof. Not sure if they can be cleaned up.
-There is a chip on the front hood, maybe 1-2CM in diameter.
-There are a couple other areas that have some paint rubbed off. Not as noticeable, and near the edges.

Interior:
-There are a number of stains, and things mashed into the alcantara seats. One of them is a couple inches in diameter, and seems like some sort of blue ink. I think most of these you could maybe wash out, but probably not completely. It does help that the alcantara is black.
-The leather seems to be in good condition. It's a little creased in areas, but that is to be expected from a car with 30k miles.
-The interior is filthy, but most is just dirt and dust that I think would clean up. The big question are the stains on the seats (both seats).

Mechanical:
-I can't say if there are any mechanical issues, as the seller will not allow an inspection, or even a test drive. I asked if we could do a test drive with the seller driving, and he declined.
-When asked if the vehicle was under warranty, the seller said he didn't know, and that it was an as-is sale. That threw up a red flag, so I called Porsche (at his suggestion), and they did confirm it was under warranty until December, and they did not see any issue with the warranty. Riverside has a number of service records, the last being in August.
-I pulled a carfax report, which shows as clean. It shows two owners... tho I think the second owner is just him registering it when he moved to CA from NY.

Given all that, I was still right on the fence and still considered buying it. Ultimately, I wasn't expecting it to be in as poor of condition as it was, and so I had to scramble to decide if I could get it in the condition that I wanted. I was there for about an hour, called a body shop, and detail shop to see how much it would cost to take care of some of the issues. Unfortunately the seller was put-off by this and decided to walk-away from the sale.

I would say to any potential buyer... you need to be okay with either this being a project... or with having numerous cosmetic defects. Given the cosmetic shape of the car, I'd also be a little wary of the mechanical condition. I don't have any reason to believe there are any issues with the car, but given it is a $70k purchase, it sure would be nice to see how it drives.

Hope that helps. Let me know if any specific questions.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:59 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Can you at least tell me the original in service date? I've looked through hundreds of your posts so far and can't seem to find much info specific to the car's options and sale. I did see some talk about repaired rodent damage. Does that pertain to this car or your prior red Spyder, or neither?
The Rodent damage was on the red one AND put it out of commission for almost 6 months because they had to make a new saddle. The silver one was caught in time. I don't want to talk about it because I find the whole thing was fishy imho because never had a problem even in NYC until I visited a place I rather not discuss, both cars visited this place sequentially for maintenance and when they came home were immediately attacked by rodents in the very sequence they had visited this place that shall remain nameless. Just saying LOL. Maybe I'm just meant to keep her?
Old 01-15-2019, 10:05 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David Robin
Hey all, I was the buyer that fell through, so I thought I'd give some feedback to help potential buyers (and honestly the seller) from wasting their time.

We had negotiated a price, I had cashier's check in hand and drove 3 hours from Santa Barbara to Riverside to get the car. Unfortunately this car is not in great shape. That's to be expected given the price and mileage... but had I had all relevant info, it sure would have helped.

The cosmetic condition of the car is the biggest issue. It was pretty filthy, inside and out. Here are the main issues I could see:

Externally:
-There is some grey paint (or something similar) that got onto the hood, and front bumper. Whatever it was, it was corrosive, and has eaten through the clearcoat into the paint. It is not something that can be corrected, and would require a repaint. I called a bodyshop, and they estimated $2300 to paint the hood and bumper.
-The corner of the car behind the front wheels is damaged on both sides. The seller called it curb damage. The paint and the underlining structure are damaged/bent a bit. Not sure how much it would cost to fix. Some buyers might not care.
-There is a quarter size dent on the back trunk.
-There are numerous scratches all over the paint. The majority of these can probably be paint-corrected, and do not go all the way through the clear-coat. However a few do. I sent a video to my detail guy, and he thought he could buff most out.
-A couple of the wheels have curb rash. Not too terrible, I'd probably just live with it.
-There are some visible scratches on the fabric roof. Not sure if they can be cleaned up.
-There is a chip on the front hood, maybe 1-2CM in diameter.
-There are a couple other areas that have some paint rubbed off. Not as noticeable, and near the edges.

Interior:
-There are a number of stains, and things mashed into the alcantara seats. One of them is a couple inches in diameter, and seems like some sort of blue ink. I think most of these you could maybe wash out, but probably not completely. It does help that the alcantara is black.
-The leather seems to be in good condition. It's a little creased in areas, but that is to be expected from a car with 30k miles.
-The interior is filthy, but most is just dirt and dust that I think would clean up. The big question are the stains on the seats (both seats).

Mechanical:
-I can't say if there are any mechanical issues, as the seller will not allow an inspection, or even a test drive. I asked if we could do a test drive with the seller driving, and he declined.
-When asked if the vehicle was under warranty, the seller said he didn't know, and that it was an as-is sale. That threw up a red flag, so I called Porsche (at his suggestion), and they did confirm it was under warranty until December, and they did not see any issue with the warranty. Riverside has a number of service records, the last being in August.
-I pulled a carfax report, which shows as clean. It shows two owners... tho I think the second owner is just him registering it when he moved to CA from NY.

Given all that, I was still right on the fence and still considered buying it. Ultimately, I wasn't expecting it to be in as poor of condition as it was, and so I had to scramble to decide if I could get it in the condition that I wanted. I was there for about an hour, called a body shop, and detail shop to see how much it would cost to take care of some of the issues. Unfortunately the seller was put-off by this and decided to walk-away from the sale.

I would say to any potential buyer... you need to be okay with either this being a project... or with having numerous cosmetic defects. Given the cosmetic shape of the car, I'd also be a little wary of the mechanical condition. I don't have any reason to believe there are any issues with the car, but given it is a $70k purchase, it sure would be nice to see how it drives.

Hope that helps. Let me know if any specific questions.
Everything David said is true. I wish Him well in his pursuit. I think he will always remember my car which is cool. David was going to pay me 66k and I had accepted his offer.

Last edited by jeanrabelais; 01-15-2019 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Needed to add the price that was on the table.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:07 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
I too stalked the posts...not easy, prob not the best way to sell, but its "Cheap" so maybe worth the effort.

I deducted original owner, with a 12/14/2015 warranty start date, meaning ~11 months remaining
Silver was the original car purchased, followed by the Red
All accidents seemed to be from the Red car
Maybe a flat tire or wheel damage at one point.
Spent time on both coasts, racked up miles making the drive a few times.
Seems like a great deal.

Thanks for the thumbs up. I'm sorry I didn't reach out yet, just I'm not a people person or a car dealer just trying to find my car a Good home. Yes the silver one suffered wheel damage right out of the dealership. I was turning onto 22nd from 11th ave in evening traffic and that cobblestone disaster of a street killed my wheel just like that.

Last edited by jeanrabelais; 01-15-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:28 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Thanks for posting my build sheet. I still have the window sticker in my glove compartment (probably covered in dirt and life, JK).
Old 01-15-2019, 11:28 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Weird thread/sale. Good luck to seller and buyer(s).
Old 01-15-2019, 11:45 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Weird thread/sale. Good luck to seller and buyer(s).
Thank you.

Everyone should know David is a fine person and all, but I did warn him when I accepted his low offer that if he had issues I would walk because the car is worth it. And he himself says he gawked for about an hour and then I had to call it a day. These cars are too special to be treated like that. My car is lived in and has been driven. My husband is a real working artist so yeah there is ink on a cushion somewhere lol, big deal. He happens to be working on a James Dean Graphic Novel for Fantagraphics so maybe you shouldn't clean that ink :O If you want a great spyder and don't mind little cosmetic damage. come on over... Otherwise, good day.

I may not be able to get rid of this car, Poor me
Old 01-16-2019, 12:31 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

I find this thread fascinating...but I have to stop reading it as it makes me feel a bit crazy......

GLWS OP, assuming you want to sell it
Old 01-16-2019, 12:50 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911therapy
I find this thread fascinating...but I have to stop reading it as it makes me feel a bit crazy......

GLWS OP, assuming you want to sell it
I don't think I'm going to be able to find a buyer especially after David's post waved Red Flags about failing mechanicals lol. Just because I didn't let jim drive my car. I didn't feel it was necessary, honestly because he seemed caught up in the cosmetics and at that point I decided he didn't deserve to drive my car because he wasn't serious.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:51 AM
David Robin
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
I don't think I'm going to be able to find a buyer especially after David's post waved Red Flags about failing mechanicals lol. Just because I didn't let jim drive my car. I didn't feel it was necessary, honestly because he seemed caught up in the cosmetics and at that point I decided he didn't deserve to drive my car because he wasn't serious.
Not serious? I drove 3 hours (each way) with a cashier's check in hand. I wanted this to work out more than anyone. I'm crazy disappointed that it did not. But you've got to understand this is a very unusual listing and sale. I think everyone here would agree with that. The reason I was caught up in the cosmetics was because you made zero mentions of them. You say you were upfront about wanting this to be an as-is sale... and wanting a no hassle sale... and that is completely true. But at no time did you tell anyone here the current condition of the car. You just said to read through past posts... and I read through every single one. They do not give an idea of the current condition of the car.

So yeah, when we arrived we were caught off guard... and it took us some time to wrap our heads around this new situation... and what course of action we wanted to take. We called a detail shop and auto body shop to get an idea of what it would take to fix the damages. We wouldn't have wasted our time on that if we were not serious. We were actually going to ask if you would take another $1000 off to cover the costs of fixing the paint issues, when you came out of the house and decided we weren't worthy.

As for the mechanices... I asked if we could test drive, and you declined, I asked if you could drive us in the car, and you declined. Your response was, "I didn't get to test drive it when I bought it." It was a brand new car at the time. Then you asked, "where's the trust." This is a $70k purchase... i don't think a test drive is that outlandish of a request. In fact I think it is pretty standard with every single car purchase. That said... the car started fine, he pulled it into the garage fine, so I have no reason to think there are any issues with the vehicle mechanically.

Anyway, I think if you had taken even a few pics, or given a description of the issues, you would have made it a lot easier on everyone. My post is actually keeping you from having to go through the same exact things with the next guy.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:12 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Wacky (non)ad makes more sense now.

OP, you actually thought you’d sell the car without letting a buyer drive, or even ride in, it?
Old 01-16-2019, 07:36 AM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 112 Posts

Ooof, and to think I was thinking of traveling out to the West coast. Thank you David!
Old 01-16-2019, 07:38 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

No test drive allowed? Sounds like someone doesn’t really want to sell their Spyder. I can relate. :-)

Quick Reply: 71k obo for my Beautiful Spyder